Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Degenerated disk in neck!! To mtb or not mtb.. What would you do?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

After several posts and discussions I’ve finally fount the root of my stiff neck and numb fingers!! C5c6 disk is bulging close to a nerve. Having some steroid injections to reduce the swelling and hopefully take the pressure off the nerve.

Consultant said that now that the disk is bulging it always gonn be close to getting worse or causing another 6 months of pain if I carry on mountain biking!

I will miss it big time and can’t believe that at 34 I’d have to give it up.

I’m thinking that if i focus on my ridding posture and perhaps strengthen my neck to stop those near whiplash moments.. Also. I’ll have to simply just learn to take my time a bit more and accept that being out and enjoying myself is better than not.

Any tips?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d give it up, at least the really rough stuff that’s more likely to cause you problems. It’s an opportunity to explore a few new things, there’s a whole world of fun things you could try.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

42 and wrestling with the same thing here c6-c7. My consultant told me the exact opposite, and he’s a rider.

He basically said ride when you can, don’t ride when you can’t.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Any tips?

Road riding?

SaxonRider

Don’t even think about having to give it up in absolute terms. At least consider related alternatives. As bongohoohaa says, what about road riding? Or, as you yourself say, working at strengthening your neck so that you can carry on MTBing?

You are only 34. All being well, you could live another 50+ years. Can you even begin to imagine starting to pare down your activity at this early stage?!?

Seriously, if you start thinking about throwing in the towel without coming up with some sort of interesting alternative, you could find yourself getting seriously depressed in a year or two.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Road riding indeed.. I do both and lucky for me some a decent bike fit has allowed me to ride issue free.

i think I’m gonna become a lower effort technique orientated rider after this summer is over. Easier rides and stopping myself from craneing my neck when I ride. Whether than means narrower bars etc.

Assuming the roids that I’m having injected will work to elieviate current symptoms I’m gonna make sure the consultant gets me a physio that will help me strengthen the area.

giantriderjay
    Free Member

I aggravated an old lumbar disc injury three weeks ago. Had to take time off work as I couldn’t walk due to the pain. Felt well down in the dumps.

Rested.

Rode the Chase yesterday, silly crashed twice. Feel stiff as a board today and plenty of grazes and lumps. Felt alive again.

I’d go with Scienceofficer. Your injury could flare up getting out of bed or looking to cross the road. Listen to your body.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Big riser bars ! Totally change your position. Like driving miss daisey!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Big tyres with low pressure eg. Big Apples, high angled stem, high rise/sweep bars.

paul4stones

I nearly totalled myself in October last year and twanged my neck giving me a ‘stinger’ injury. Investigation showed the same as you – a degeneration at C5-6. I’ve had surgery to correct it and which allows me to carry on doing everything I was before. I doubt they’d offer surgery for you at this stage but I’m sure it’s an option later and if offered I wouldn’t hesitate. Obviously there are risks but my surgeon described it as a ‘beautiful’ operation. Weird aren’t they? 🙂

jameso

After several posts and discussions I’ve finally fount the root of my stiff neck and numb fingers!! C5c6 disk is bulging close to a nerve.

[quote] stopping myself from craneing my neck when I ride[/quote]

A road bike position can be a bad one for anyone’s neck eventually, it seems. The MTB issues may be caused by a gradual development of pressure in the vertebrae from road miles. I’ve had similar issues and it’s been minimised by looking at my riding posture and stretching. Even flipping the peak on the cap up more of the time so I can look up rather than tilt my head up. Thing is that even an upright MTB can bring on minor symptoms over long rides if the neck / back tension is there. Leg/hip tension can have a knock-on effect on the back and neck and I expect there’s other similar causes and links.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Degenerated disk in neck!! To mtb or not mtb.. What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.