Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Deflating UST tyres with sealant for plane, but how much?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I am just packing the bike and wonder how much I need to deflate the UST tyres. Might sound like a dumb question, but I don’t want all of the tyre sealant oozing out, which happens if the pressure is too low.

Onzadog
    Free Member

None. Hold is pressurised. Even if it wasn’t, the difference would only be a few psi. Just nod and say yes if check in ask.

Don’t do what I did and ask if the pilot lets his tyres down

Northwind

IMO- not at all. And when they ask, tell them you’ve let most of the air out (they won’t check, and even if they do you can just say they’re normally really hard, and actually you’ve already let most of the air out). No reason at all to deflate, and if you leave them up it’ll help protect your rims from the attack of the slingers.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Cheers fellas!

mrhoppy

Just suggest the fella that let’s the planes tyres down after takeoff and pumps them up before landing does yours too.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Probably best NOT to mention aircraft tyres to any airport staff because:

A: Aircraft tyres are filled with nitrogen, inert, and does not support combustion.

B: The air in bicycle tyres isn’t inert, and supports combustion very well indeed.

C: Airport staff are not known for their sense of humour.

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

My bike tyres are about 80% filled with nitrogen if that helps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably best NOT to mention aircraft tyres to any airport staff because:

A: Aircraft tyres are filled with nitrogen, inert, and does not support combustion. – mine are mostly

B: The air in bicycle tyres isn’t inert, and supports combustion very well indeed. – if we are getting to that stage then bike tyres are not going to make a difference

C: Airport staff are not known for their sense of humour. – the most important one

Letting the tyres down in like asking if you packed it yourself, even if your missus or mum packed for you the answer is still YES

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Letting the tyres down in like asking if you packed it yourself, even if your missus or mum packed for you the answer is still YES

Indeed, my mate thought he was clever and said “no my mum did it” they said they would need to look inside. He thought that was a pain in the arse so then thought it was a smart move to say “would it made a difference if I said I was in the British Army?”

We were there hours.

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

B: The air in bicycle tyres isn’t inert, and supports combustion very well indeed.

Well if we’re going to get in trouble for trying to make jokes, why not go for the home run and suggest they suck all the air out of the cabin? Cargoholds are pressurised these days aren’t they?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Cargoholds are pressurised these days aren’t they?

Limits on compressed gases also apply in the pressurised cabins. Granted, a 22psi 26 x 2.4″ isn’t quite the same concern as a 15 litre 300 bar gas cylinder…

messiah
    Free Member

As above. Leave as is and lie like a cheap watch if asked.

splashdown
    Free Member

Usually let out enough air to take tyres down to approx 10-15psi with no problems.
    Just saves a whole world of grief if they do ask to open up your bike bag/box.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Last 3 times I’ve flown they’ve made me remove and leave behind any 16gm co2 bulbs in my bag!

I questioned this last time and pointed out that there was one under every seat in the life jackets, but they just got arsey with me and said they are not allowed in luggage PERIOD!

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

Limits on compressed gases also apply in the pressurised cabins

I was more thinking of all that combustion-supporting air 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Strange that they never seem to ask you to take the 200psi of air out of your rear shock .

Northwind

Ryanair charged me extra if I wanted to have lungs filled with air.

eshershore
    Free Member

hold is pressurised (otherwise the plane’s structure would fail) but not ventilated with bleed air from the engine cooling like the cabin is

this means its cold down there..and they usually have a small heated area which live cargo (pets) are put into to keep them warm

your bike tires don’t need deflating to go into the hold 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Compressed gases are a nightmare in terms of paperwork and packaging as classified in the IRATA dangerous goods by air documentation, regardless of their volume or composiotion (if it’s something hazardous it gets even more complicated.

So for Christs sake just say they’ve been let down.

I did hear a rumor the weren’t going to allow you to fly with hydraulic brakes for the same reason.

Personally I would drop most of the pressure out of my air shock or forks, but not out of the boost valve on a piggyback shock

legend
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone’s ever been asked to deflate their cat/dog/panda before putting it in the hold?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I did hear a rumor the weren’t going to allow you to fly with hydraulic brakes for the same reason.

That was very quickly removed just after it was brought in a few years ago. Because its basically unenforceable rubbish.
    When I flew they didn’t ask anything about my bike. The only reason I let my tres down was that the wheels wouldn’t fit in the bags with them pumped up.
    There is no problem. I can’t work out why people are suggesting there is.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Deflating UST tyres with sealant for plane, but how much?’ is closed to new replies.