Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Definitive winter tyre thread
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Suggestions?

Where do you ride and what are you riding?

I’ve run Spesh Storm Controls, Bontie Mud Xs, Maxxis Beavers and Panaracer Trailrakers. All are good mud tyres with the Trailrakers being the best for pure winter IMHO, but none are as aggro as any of the tyres you’re describing.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Sounds like Shorty/Minion is a safe bet then. How is 3C Max Terra on the rear? Too draggy? Or a bit draggy and much grippier?

chrishc777
    Free Member

PMJ you know me, I’m just aggro

stevied
    Free Member

How is 3C Max Terra on the rear?

It’s good but I found the DHR2 wore out a lot quicker than a (normal) 60a.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

PMJ you know me, I’m just aggro

😆

Seriously, Spesh Storm Controls were great last year (what little I rode). Gripped like shit to a blanket at Grammars too. A little thin compared to your preferred tyres, but it’s a winter tyre. But then I guess that’s why you have a cross bike now. 😉

Trailrakers worked well for B-Stone, but draggier than a draggy thing on anything vaguely hardpack.

Otherwise Spesh Purg / Butcher in Grid would put up with your aggroness and the Butcher shrugs off all but the filthiest conditions.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thing is those narrow spikey things are good until you have a couple miles of road or fireroad tonlink trails up..

Anyone used an HRII on the rear?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Thing is those narrow spikey things are good until you have a couple miles of road or fireroad tonlink trails up..

Anyone used an HRII on the rear?

Thing is those HRII things are good until you have a couple of miles of road or fireroad to ling trails up….. 😛

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah, draggy then? Thing is they look alot like a DHR II

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

What are good tyres for winter xc, on mixed terrain, bridleways,and single track,a lot of heavy clay here , so clogging can be an issue but I don’t want anything too draggy for the road sections. It’s for a 29er.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’ll be the Trailraker 🙂 The softer tyres, like the Maxxis, Spesh or Bontie, roll a lot better. You pay for it in the outright filth, but that’s the compromise. They’re lighter too – I notice the difference popping the wider summer tyres back on, and I’ve got a lo-pro Slaughter on the back of the Bird at the moment. I ran the Storm Controls until about May this year before tempting fate and switching to something wider with shallower tread.

Unless you’re gapping big stuff and hitting fair size drops I’d go down the full winter route, personally.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I may get some narrow mud tyres to try out on the SS, but the big bike needs big tyres for riding big stuff!

Noticed the Maxxis Tomahawk is available now, anyone got one yet?

Bontrager SE5 on the rear anyone? Looks like a minion to me, if they come up cheaper may go with one of those

nonk
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of se5 that I used for a couple of rides and haven’t used since
    Keen to shift em on at a bargain price if anyone’s keen
    Most people like them I just prefer Mary / nic / razor combos

chakaping
    Free Member

So which tough carcass (Schwalbe SuperGravity/WTB Tough level, not EXO or Grid) rear 650b tyre for the muckier months?

hainman
    Free Member

I’m looking to swap out my Shorty as i tend to ride my local hills in wet muddy conditions but its brutal with no shelter from rain and wind so try to stick to the more forest areas and trail centres and with that brings the rocks n roots in abundance and the shorty just doesn’t cut it on that stuff,

was actually thinking of swapping my DHR2 onto the front for stuff like the rooty sections,leave the shorty,or even better still the wetscream for the hill which is just a mud chute most winters,

really interested in the der Baron though,would it be a better compromise in the areas where its more rock,roots than mud??

chrishc777
    Free Member

Tough carcass tyres I’d go with WTB or maybe the new Maxxis DD ones. I use Schwalbe SG which are OK but I have put a few holes in a Rock Razor whilst mates on WTBs have not had a single puncture. I think the issue is the lack of under tread protection on the SGs whilst the WTBs are a full on dual ply, nightmare to get on rims though!

No love for the Bontys then? The Trek site says they have a full under tread and sidewall protection, which is pretty good for 100g more than an EXO tyre

thebrowndog
    Free Member

better still the wetscream for the hill which is just a mud chute most winters,

Defo this. Ive got a set of Wet Screams in my shed. Bought them in Morzine last year having taken DHR and DHF thinking they’d be fine. Nope. The Wet Screams are amazing in the slop but bloody scary anywhere you dont sink up to your rims.

hainman
    Free Member

Haha aye the “screams are mega in muddy stuff,not so on rooty stuff,would love to find a “do it all” Im swaying to the Conti Der Baron projekt

chiefgrooveguru

My Shorty 2.5 and High Roller 2 2.4 arrived just in time for the hottest September day in fifty years. 😉 The HR2 looks nice – bigger side knobs with closer spacing than the DHR2 but more widely spaced and more open and ramped centre knobs and a bit wider overall. Should be good – hope it goes up ok without the tubeless ready bead…

The Shorty 2.5 looks an absolute monster – compared to the 2.3 version it has much bigger knobs, much wider spacing and a much larger carcass. Like a Magic Mary crossed with a Shorty and then some. If it isn’t the best tyre I’ve ever used in mud and wet roots I’ll be amazed – just hope it isn’t too much of a beast to pedal!

welshfarmer

Maxxis Beaver? I run an Ikon most of the year but it reaches its limit in the gloop when I swap to the Beaver on the 29er. Thing is, for racing (MTB orienteering) I would rather run the Ikon and accept a bit of sliding/pushing in deep mud, for the speed on easier stuff & roads. I have had the same Ikon now for 2 years (tubeless) and never so much as a burp, puncture, or anything in 30+ races in the Peaks, Dales, Exmoor and all over the Beacons. Getting a bit low now, but that just makes it roll quicker 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

For me, 2.5 Minion DHF front, Rock Razor rear, just like summer and spring and autumn, which are all pretty much the same these days anwyay. That said I mostly ride Dark Peak which tends towards gritty slurry even when really wet rather than proper gloop.

Ice Spiker Pro 2.35s – buy in summer when no-one wants them – if it gets snowy and icy…

Beavers if someone tricks me into riding mountain bikes in less pleasant places… 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

Beavers for the clag, they do a couple of widths now

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone use the Maxxis Forekaster? Hows it like roots?

Kamakazie

Also trying to decide on an ‘all-round’ front tyre for South Wales & trail centre use….
    Want something high volume & good on rooty, rocky woodland trails. Less bothered by the bite on hard pack but don’t want anything to wash-out.

Short list seems to be:
    Spec Butcher
    WTB Vigilante
    Schwalbe Magic Mary
    Conti Der Baron
    Maxxis Minion DHF / Aggressor
    Onza Ibex

Anything better out there than these or any on there that are not suitable for what I want?
    I’m probably just going to pick the cheapest one I can find on the list if there’s not much in it between them.

Are OO Chunky Monkeys any good all-round? Tread seems a bit lower profile than most of those above.

hainman
    Free Member

@kamikazie
    I’m thinking about the Der baron Projekt
    Or the 2.5 Vertstar Magic Mary.im running a chunky on the rear but forgot to run it the wrong way round

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Michelin wild Muds with the Enduro construction. A bit heavy but very grippy and sidewalls stood up to Sussex flints.

Kamakazie

Reviews do look good hainman but they are probably at the pricier end due to deals on most of the others.
    I like the comments regarding wear rates of the Black Chilli rubber though so that’s also a consideration.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Definitive winter tyre thread’ is closed to new replies.