Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Define 'successful'
  • theotherjonv

OK, I’m cheating a bit, i’ve been given this as an assignment this week. But what truly makes you successful, in the end?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The size of your penis compensator on the drive and how big you can inflate the missus bazookas….

Or on a more serious note I’d say having enough good friends, being respected and appreciated and being able to smile more than frown.

perchypanther
    Free Member

When Farmer Hoggett looks at you and says….

“That’ll do, Pig”

jonba
    Free Member

At “the end” we are all as succesful as each other – it is a great leveller.

I’d take a punt at two things – having had a fulfilling/happy life and helped others achieve the same.

That and the number of bikes you own (7)

flanagaj
    Free Member

One who is content.

johndoh
    Free Member

Consistently getting 100+ ‘Likes’ to your bragging posts on Facebook?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me, just look at Me.

Failing that..

You, just look at You.

HTHs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Success is only measurable up against the expectations of the person being analysed.

One person’s success may be anothers hell.

Equally another person may feel they have failed against their own expectation but look to be on top of the world compared to their own life.

How ever as I have learnt over the years no one ever tells you the whole story and things are not always as they seem so don’t measure your success against others lives.

angeldust
    Free Member

Simple. It’s how happy you are.

scotroutes

He who dies with the most kit wins.

Edit: written in bed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Getting out of bed before 10 o’clock Not having to get out of bed before 10 o’clock.

Drac

When you can wear tasteless shoes in business class.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Getting out of bed before 10 o’clock even though you don’t have to.

True success.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Owning your very own power kite.

holst
    Free Member

MSP

Having control of your life, being able to make decisions about employment and lifestyle rather than having them forced on you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Suck Cess.

orangespyderman

“Successful” requires three seperate things to happen :

– Set goals that are sufficiently ambitious;
    – Achieve those goals;
    – Repeat.

Just achieving goals isn’t success, as that view can encourage settling for less by not aiming high enough, and a single success isn’t being “successful”

redthunder
    Free Member

I own multiple hats 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Owning your very own power kite.

To be truly successful one must bestow the gift of power kiting upon another.

vinnyeh

Too limited in my opinion, if I was on my deathbed examining my life I’d feel I shortchanged myself if I summed up my life as ‘happy’.

From another, wider, perspective, having offspring is the marker of a successful life.

martinhutch

But what truly makes you successful, in the end?

Harvesting ideas off the internet, finishing your assignment early and heading out for a ride. 🙂

Drac

We have a winner.

angeldust
    Free Member

Too limited in my opinion, if I was on my deathbed examining my life I’d feel I shortchanged myself if I summed up my life as ‘happy’.

As a summary, I’d be more than pleased with ‘Happy’.

From another, wider, perspective, having offspring is the marker of a successful life.

Really? What if that offspring is a mass murderer, serial killer, or next Hitler. Just saying.

jekkyl

Could you face this guy and not get wiped from existance?

INQUISITOR: You have been granted the greatest gift of all: the gift of life. Tell me, what you have done to deserve this superlative good fortune?
    RIMMER: Well, I say this with the highest respect, but what gives you the right to ask — no, actually — demand that answer of me, Your Magnificence? (He curtsies and bows.)
    INQUISITOR: All must answer to the Inquisitor!
    RIMMER: But how do I know I’ll get a fair hearing?
    INQUISITOR: Because, like all who stand before the Inquisitor, your judge

shall be…

The INQUISITOR lifts his facemask to reveal… RIMMER’s face.

INQUISITOR: …yourself!
    RIMMER: Oh smeg!

trailwagger
    Free Member

if happiness = success then this

The meaning of life, is to have meaning in your life.

BigDummy
    Free Member

one must bestow the gift of power kiting upon another.

Help me! What started this power kite business?! 😀

I’m with orangespyderman I think – success is at least somewhat objective. You can’t just declare that you’ve been successful because you’ve been happy. I am not successful. I’m not happy either, but I’m busily giving up on being successful to try and become happier. 🙂

growinglad
    Free Member

Set your standards low.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Setting your goals lower than your achievements 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

crushing your enemies driving them before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

ads678

As John Candy said in Cool Runnings:

“If you not enough without a gold medal, you’ll never be enough with one.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

when Alec Baldwin parodies you

binners

My power kite is bigger than yours

*sits back, looking smug*

martymac

Trailrat +1
    One mans success will be another mans hell
    Don’t worry about it, just be happy.
    Money definitely doesn’t mean success in my book, but it obviously does to some folks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not wasting the best part of your life working to buy meaningless crap. Having fun and joyful experience with friends and loved ones. Also Getting to ride my bike 3 times a week counts as a mini success.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Reading a dictionary. That, and owning your own shoes.

*Edit, Really, ‘success’ ‘at the end’ is subjective. Unless you view life purely in sporting terms. You always die. Whatever came before can only be measured by those who knew of you, and either saw or experienced your achievements.

Did you leave the planet a better place? People’s live better for having you in them?

transporter13
    Free Member

Whoever has the happiest life.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t do success. I just achieve a level of satisfaction that I haven’t screwed everything up.

Money, house, job, family or whatever, meh. Unless someone proves to me that’s the actual goal in life, it makes crap all difference. Just going to end up rotting in a hole anyway.

Also from same episode of Red Dwarf:

Rimmer: Why did no-one mention this before? If I had been told about this at the start, that the object was to lead a worthwhile life, I could have done something about it. All those charity telethons when I used ring in and pledge donations — if I had known all this, I would have given them *my* credit card number.

km79
    Free Member

I personally go by time doing the things I like to do vs the time and effort spent to enable me to do them. The more of the former and less of the later equals more success.

Yak

When ‘Watch This’ isn’t followed by injury

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Define 'successful'’ is closed to new replies.