Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Define "middle class"
  • soobalias
    Free Member

“played the system and retired in my fifties”

singletrackhor
    Free Member

The “middle class” does not exist.

Its a term made up by advertising and marketing execs to sell poor folk stuff they dont need in order to feel good about themselves.

parisroubaix

You ate ratatoille as a child

binners

You were buggered as a child. By your tennis couch

5thElefant
    Free Member

True, class is meaningless here, now. Middle class is just a convenient label for those that don’t scrounge (at either end of the spectrum).

footflaps

The fact that the word ‘chav’ is so popular tells you that Class is very much alive and kicking….

john_drummer
    Free Member

I work for a living, can’t afford not to. That makes me ‘working class’ IMO

However, my job is what might be called ‘professional’, although I have no qualifications specific to the industry.
    I went to university but didn’t get a degree (dropout!)
    My dad is a retired builder
    My mum is a retired secretary
    My wife is a civil servant
    We have one car.
    I have a strong yorkshire accent

I think i’m confused

BigJohn

Yes it does – but only for those who want to play that game, and who all seem to have their own definition to make sure it either includes or excludes them, according to preference.

Me? I have declared unilateral independence. I’m out of it altogether.

jon1973
    Free Member

Me? I have declared unilateral independence. I’m out of it altogether.

How very middle class of you.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive often been told i have no class

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Middle class is when you light the ladies’ farts for them

uplink
    Free Member

See that thread further down about outdoor pizza ovens?

there you go ………… 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

it’s having ideas above your station..

binners

You’re on the money there Uplink. That is possibly the most middle class thread I have ever encountered 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There has been a few contenders for that. This place is so middleclass its not true even if loads of folk would like to deny it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How do you like your pasta………

Hoops on toast- Working class

Spag-bol – lower middle

al dente – upper middle

binners

You forgot:

for us working classes wot can read, like

JEngledow
    Free Member

Oh crap….. have I just started the most middle class thread possible? 😳

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Caravans are better than hotels

Don’t know if this makes you middle class or not. I vote yes,

j_me
    Free Member

If you’ve been to university or studied for any degree level further education (including nursing), you are middle class.

convert

This place is so middleclass its not true even if loads of folk would like to deny it.

You say that like it’s automatically a bad thing, or even a thing at all, or even something no one but you has ever had the gumption to recognise. Are you middle class but in denial, therefore a middle class hater?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is anyone else unashamedly middle class?

I’m not a tattooed manual worker and I wasn’t born with a silver spoon stuck up my a in my mouth.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Is anyone else unashamedly middle class?

What’s to be ashamed of? I’m university educated, go to work in a suit and own a house (or at least the mortgage), but I work hard for what I’ve got and haven’t been given anything on a plate (my parents don’t have contacts etc and worked hard too).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

and haven’t been given anything on a plate

You need to take some inspiration from the working class and show your Mrs the back of your hand.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m tattooed, not a manual worker (in between jobs currently), university educated Ba(hons), have a car that cost more than my bike(s), don’t have a mortgage and don’t plan on having one and definitely no silver spoon…?

but I work hard for what I’ve got and haven’t been given anything on a plate

That’s where you’re going wrong. 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Snap – nothing wrong with it. (being Middle Class)

Not too much inverse snobbery on this site. Which is good.

Bunnyhop

Mr. bunnyhop says I’m definitely middle class, because I won’t eat in the street.

aracer
    Free Member

If you spend the lions share of your day pontificating on internet forums, you’re middle class. Or dole scum. One of the two

Strangely, I actually find myself spending far less of my day pontificating on internet forums now I’m dole scum.

yunki
    Free Member

Middle Class? It’s mediocrity, fear, and confusion in disguise. It’s the devil’s dilemma. It’s neither doing nor not doing. It’s the wobbling compromise that makes no one happy. Middle Class is for the bland, the apologetic, for the fence-sitters of the world afraid to take a stand. It’s for those afraid to laugh or cry, for those afraid to live or die. Middle Class…is lukewarm tea, the devil’s own brew

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

convert – Member

“This place is so middleclass its not true even if loads of folk would like to deny it.”

You say that like it’s automatically a bad thing, or even a thing at all, or even something no one but you has ever had the gumption to recognise. Are you middle class but in denial, therefore a middle class hater?

Oh I am fairly clearly middle class and don’t try to pretend anything different. it just amuses me those who try and deny it.

ChrisL

I’d identify myself as middle class: I have a degree, an office job that uses it, a mortgage. My parents were a college lecturer and (latterly, though also degree educated) a nurse.

On the other hand it has gradually dawned on me that when some newspapers complain about how badly the middle classes are being treated, they’re meaning the sort of people who send young Gilderoy and Gemima to private schools, attend regattas and gymkhanas, and own delightful cottages in the country in addition to their main homes.

I get a little annoyed people with that level of income are described as the “squeezed middle” or similar, seemingly in an effort to get the many people in this country who consider themselves middle class but will never be that wealthy to feel that changes to (for example) capital gains tax are going to seriously affect themselves.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

binners – Member
    You were buggered as a child. By your tennis couch

Yes, more than one sofa is a “middle class” household.
    🙂

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Some friends and I were having dinner the other night in a lovely Thai restaurant in Manchester. I am a newly qualified teacher, one of my friends is a freelance web designer, and the other two work in IT security.

We hadn’t seen each other for a while so after the usual pleasantries conversation turned to mortgage rates and our prospective vegetable patches. At this point one of my friends stopped the conversation with “Oh my god, how middle class are we?? A teacher and some IT people talking about vegetable patches!”

Meh, I don’t really care if I am middle class, or working class, or whatever. It’s pretty meaningless now and there are far better terms to describe what used to be the three different classes.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s pretty meaningless now and there are far better terms to describe what used to be the three different classes.

tell us then..

Edric64
    Free Member

If you know that port should always be slid to the left?

tazzymtb

I don’t understand the concept of class,therefore I hate each and every one of you equally

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you know that port should always be slid to the left?

Didn’t Musical Youth sing about something similar?

weare138
    Free Member

You can tell someone is working class, they keep coal in the bath.

tazzymtb

Didn’t Musical Youth sing about something similar?

LOL

I’ll think you find that was a song originally about smoking grass, but then edited for radio release so pass the Koutchie became a song about passing a stew pot around 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Growing up in Ireland, we had no frickin’ clue what the song meant…and neither did our parents 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Define "middle class"’ is closed to new replies.