Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Define All Mountain Riding!?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

thefallguy
    Free Member

there’s a mountain, ride all of it? xc with ups and downs and added gnarl. Marketing bull IMO

jam-bo

marketing spin to sell you the bike you didnt know you didnt need.

or just getting out and having fun on a bike.

djglover
    Free Member

Its a marketing strapline to make middle aged men spend more money on a bike right?

I mean most of the blokes I see on Orange 5’s with bashrings or Giant Regins and the like couldn’t ride over a slightly pronounced root without having a panic attack

Mugboo

Don’t be so pissy, its a nice catch all for todays riding. Sometimes people are too far up there own behinds..

When bikes were first taken up and down stuff they had to be carried a lot, these days due to better design they can ride things that seemed impossible.

Although i ride with peeps who would get down stuff on any crap old bike that i sometimes think twice about on my ‘all mountain bike’

djglover
    Free Member

Ha Ha, you fell for it.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Are xc bikes great for dh? Are dh bikes great for xc? All mountain bikes let you pedal to the top and get back down with a shred of style and hopefully some speed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its just a compromise bike for those who can’t afford/justify a seperate DH bike and XC bike, or cant use an XC bike well enough down a hill…. 😀

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

or cant use an XC bike well enough down a hill….

Seems to be a lot of those folk about.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I’ve got a ‘trail’ bike, doesn’t stop me getting out into the hills and trying to ride em.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I ride he same bike over Ben MacDhui, in my local woods and in Whistler Bikepark. I rode the Nevis red and DH on it yesterday. At each end of the spectrum there is inevitable compromise, but it’s all fun…

RealMan
    Free Member

I think all mountain is just what you get when xc and dh go out one night, get a little drunk, and 9 months later you get something that can do reasonable impressions of both.

so..

xc + dh = am

xc + am = trail

am + dh = fr?

grumm
    Free Member

A bike you can ride up hills but is designed mostly with descents in mind?

Why does everyone get so upset about these terms?

walleater

Hmmmm…..I won a road hill climb on the bike below, came in the top 10 in National Junior XC races, competed pretty well in DH, rode it to college etc. It doesn’t get more ‘All **** Mountain’ than that 🙄

http://willwaters.fotopic.net/p21799981.html
    http://willwaters.fotopic.net/p21800078.html

So yeah, it’s all bollox.

roper
    Free Member

It’s a bike you have ridden ALL mountains on.

househusband

Is ‘All Mountain’ one up the scale from the one that always makes me laugh – ‘Aggressive XC’..?

grumm
    Free Member

Again: why does everyone get so upset about these terms?

Its a shorthand to describe a certain type of bike.

Chill out FFS!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Marketing Bollox.

crazy-legs

It’s marketing speak to describe the type of riding that most of us have always done.
    But now thanks to MBR and bike company marketing, middle aged IT folk now know that you need at least 3 different bikes with adjustable suspension and geometry to ride the trails (which haven’t changed much since mountain bikes first rode over them).

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

It’s like The Sound of Music* song, ‘Climb every mountain’ but on bikes.

*It might not be but logic suggests it must be.

ampthill

The problem with the phrase “all mountain” says the rest of you are part Mountain

Has the % carrying/ pushing really dropped much since the rigid days

grumm
    Free Member

OK so I’m doing Megavalanche next week ( 🙂 ) – what kind of bike would you say was most suited for doing that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What % on here have actually been on a mountain on their bikes?

grumm
    Free Member

OK TJ but then doesn’t that mean that the term ‘mountain bike’ is marketing bollocks and we should just call them ‘off-road bikes’.

Does Pic Blanc count as a mountain at 3300m by the way? 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pic Blanc – can you fall off it? Thats the TJ definition of a mountain. Hills you fall down, mountains you fall off.

ATB ( all terrain bike) is more accurate than mountainbike

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have. Lots of them. Topped 40mph more than once off some Alps last weekend……
    🙂

Mugboo

I’ve been up Superbagneres on my AM and saw a lady on a nice silver shopper! Maybe she was AM too..

juan
    Free Member

Has the % carrying/ pushing really dropped much since the rigid days

Depends if it’s uphill or downhill…

All mountain is just normal riding for people who live close to be hill/moutains.
    That’s it.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Agreed with Juan. Its called ‘Enduro’ over here in the Alps. Turn up for an Enduro here and expect a little more than you would at a UK event!

grumm
    Free Member

Strangely I don’t see anyone getting too upset about the use the term mountain bike though.

In fact, why should we even pigeonhole bikes at all. When you go into a bike shop to buy a bike, you should just ask for a bike.

‘What kind of bike? What kind of riding do you do?’
    ‘God stop trying to pigeonhole everything with your marketing BS, I just want a bike, ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!’

Irish_AL
    Free Member

from memory it was a term ‘crack n fail’ came up with a few years back 2002 -2003 if I remember…… to sell more bikes that would ‘crack n fail’ 😉

ampthill

Define Mountain

Snowdon?

Peak District?

Moab?

Colorado Rockies? Pearl pass Mosquitoe pass?

All in my rigid days

pypdjl
    Free Member

ATB ( all terrain bike) is more accurate than mountainbike

Leaving aside the question of how a term defined by usage can be said to be more accurate, ATB is a less accurate description! There is lots of terrain that mountain bikes cannot physically be ridden over.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just chill FFS. Its a reasonably useful term whether invented by marketing men or not. What do I say if someone asks me what kind of riding I do. Easier to say “all mountain” rather than “I enjoy bits of climbing but really live for the steeper technical descents and don’t often do long cross country rides”. I definitely don’t do “xc”, “freeride” or “downhill” (all marketing terms but now accepted). So how do I describe what I do in a couple of words that people instantly get?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ampthill – Member

Define Mountain

Tandemjeremy
    can you fall off it? Thats the TJ definition of a mountain. Hills you fall down, mountains you fall off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

this side of the pond it seems to be one up from XC bikes, on the other side it seems to be any route involving a 20ft road gap. Oddly people are convinced they need the same bike for both.

grumm
    Free Member

can you fall off it? Thats the TJ definition of a mountain. Hills you fall down, mountains you fall off.

I can fall off a cliff at my local quarry, does that make it a mountain?

this side of the pond it seems to be one up from XC bikes, on the other side it seems to be any route involving a 20ft road gap. Oddly people are convinced they need the same bike for both.

Except that what people would call an all-mountain bike over there is generally something 35lbs or more with at least 6″ of travel, coil shocks and forks etc. whereas we would call a Meta or Zesty all-mountain.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

I do exactly the same stuff on my bike as I did more than fifteen years ago. Maybe I was ahead of my time? Helvellyn, High Street, Skiddaw, multi days in the scottish hills. Did it fully rigid in them days. It’s just comfier now with a bit of bounce and probably a bit quicker.

It’s all just XC.

MrAgreeable

It’s not a look, it’s a lifestyle.
    Something you can’t define or pigeonhole.
    The rush of the wind through your hair.
    The laughter of a child.
    It’s wedding bells and the smell of fresh-baked bread.
    It’s waking up in a bus shelter with your face in a puddle of sick, filthy and alone, but at the same time knowing you’re truly alive.
    THAT’s “all-mountain”.

atlaz
    Free Member

‘What kind of bike? What kind of riding do you do?’
    ‘God stop trying to pigeonhole everything with your marketing BS, I just want a bike, ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!’

Next time you’re in the pub, try asking for “a beer”. If you’re feeling like a helpful sort of bastard, ask for “a lager” or “a bitter” depending on your preferences. It’ll give you an early idea of what the bike shop will look like if you ask for “a bike” 🙂

When I tried it a few years back, one barmaid gave us random stuff each time (fair play, she got the point), another threatened to throw us out (she said we were drunk, even before we got served).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Define All Mountain Riding!?’ is closed to new replies.