Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Defeat that cold before it kicks in
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Sinuses are doing their thing, I’m almost guaranteed too get man flu by the end of the week.

Any ideas?

MTFU???

jimmy

garlic. swallow a whole clove before bed. You’ll stink the next day but it’ll hold it off.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Huge amounts of alcohol knocked mine on the head – I did have a bad head afterwards though 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Berocca might help.

Zinc is supposd to minimise the impact/symptoms of a cold if taken early enough.

Drink loads of water.

I always have a really spicy curry if I think I’ve got a cold coming, chilli can help.

tacopowell
    Free Member

garlic. swallow a whole clove before bed. You’ll stink the next day but it’ll hold it off.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster! A little garlic gets my guts going let alone a whole clove! be a nice treat for the family tomorrow!

wilko1999
    Free Member

+1 for a really spicy curry. I’m sure it has no physical effect, but I do like a really spicy curry and its a good excuse.

steve-g
    Free Member

Swimming, not sure why but going swimming always seems to help when I’m on the verge of manflu, that and the usual, spicy food, drink gallons of water and then if all else fails nurofen cold and flu, the ones you have to buy over the counter with pseudoephedrine in them

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve had reasonable success with First Defense. Expensive though. No guarantees.

camo16
    Free Member

Be careful with that First Defence if you go with that. I OD-ed out of panic a few years back and knackered my sinuses for ages. Pungent stuff.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Curry will be a must today, A Methi, it contains Fenugreek seeds which are supposed to be bang great for stopping a cold its tracks. Although I’ve had mixed results,
    I guess its all in the mind!

If I drink a Berocca, will my bike skills be massively improved?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Chain-consume Fishermans Friends (original ones, not the more modern variants for jessies)

tacopowell
    Free Member

Be careful with that First Defence if you go with that. I OD-ed out of panic a few years back and knackered my sinuses for ages. Pungent stuff.

Yeah my sinuses are pretty messed up from years of a misspent youth, I’m wary of what goes up my nose these days.

bearnecessities

Garlic. swallow a whole clove before bed

Absolutely that; however chewing small pieces is the way and a whole clove is a bit far! I normally partake in half at the most and it has an alarming success rate.

deviant
    Free Member

To get a proper handle on this situation you must first understand that the common cold is a constantly mutating virus that has no ‘cure’ as such…any treatments once you have the ‘manflu’ are about symptom control and relief…i find Sudafed decongestant nasal spray excellent once the cold has taken hold, it seems to paralyse the mucous producing cells in my nose and allows me to breath and function for a few hours again.
    Paracetamol and ibuprofen keep any discomfort from a fever at an acceptable level and i drink plenty of water. Touch wood my colds only seem to last a few days, i havent had a proper humdinger for a few years now.

With regard to prevention, it is all about immune support.
    Go to bed earlier, take some exercise, eat a mixed diet, stay hydrated, use a multivitamin if you feel it helps…if your body (and ultimately its immune system) is in a constantly good state of readiness then your chances of succumbing to a cold are significantly reduced.

I used to get loads but then i looked at my life and realised i was eating the same foods over and over again, going to bed late (often just 5 hours sleep a night), drinking alcohol most days, exercising sporadically, drinking loads of fizzy drinks but not enough water etc etc…i changed things around last year and the results have been good enough to convince me to stick with it.

DezB
    Free Member

I had my coldy, coughy, phlegmy son staying over the other night – was guaranteed to get the bug my way for Xmas, so soon as he’d gone, went for an hour’s sprint on the bike and took Berocca (tip: Tesco’s own make, half the price, same ingredients)
    So far, all clear 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

and took Berocca (tip: Tesco’s own make, half the price, same ingredients)

DezB having a piss

zbonty

Asparagus wee. Can smell it from here.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Mrstacopowell loves that smell, weirdo.

jimmy

sugarpuffs anyone?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Vit C and or berrrocca

cynic-al
    Free Member

WHat makes to most difference for me is not drinking at all and getting as much sleep as possible.

I like chicken soup too and I’ve read it is proven to work.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Defeat that cold before it kicks in’ is closed to new replies.