Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Deep rim disc wheel set 12mm axels £800 ?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

Would like to treat myself to new wheels and ditch the standards on a Roubaix.

I’ve got £800 ish from sale of a bike. I’m currently looking at mavic pro disc but there is no 12mm thru axel option. If anyone can let me know what they recommend? Cheers.

alanf
    Free Member

DT Swiss will have different axle options – can’t recommend any disc wheels but have some rim wheels based on 240 hubs which are excellent.
    EDIT: something like RC38 Spline?

stevenieve
    Free Member

I’ve a set of the Mavics for sale in classifieds if you’re interested.

chalky46
    Free Member

12mm thru axels?

stevenieve
    Free Member

Yes chalky, 3 months old off my Canyon

dirtyrider
    Free Member

DT Hubs on Light Bicycle Carbon rims

chalky46
    Free Member

Can you send me a link Stevenieve?

chum3
    Free Member

Wot dirtyrider said…

These rims in fact: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicycle-rims-28mm-wide-46mm-deep-aero-clincher-road-disc-brake-available.html

And they’ve been great. I bought them off the back of good experience with their MTB rims, and wasn’t expecting that much an improvement on the DT460 DB rims they were replacing (I had cash left in the budget!) but have been really pleased with them, and they have been an improvement, and worth the expense on balance…

They also went on to a Roubaix, and although 46mm isn’t that deep, they were to be my only, all year round rims so didn’t want anything too extreme. Had them out in some pretty windy conditions (this year’s Dragon Ride, anyone?!?) and they performed brilliantly – I’m only 65kg as well…

njee20
    Free Member

I’d probably get FarSports rims over LB, but same sentiment; Chinese FTW.

DT240s or Tune hubs probably where my money would go. The former for ultimate reliability, the latter for lighter weight and a bit of bling.

chalky46
    Free Member

Chum3 what size tyres have you used with them rims?

chum3
    Free Member

chalky

I’ve run them with 26mm Specialized Turbo Tubeless and currently have 25mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on, and at 65 psi Front / 68 psi Rear measure up at around 28mm. The tyres run pretty much flush with the side of the rims.

I’ve done about 4000km on tubeless this year (mainly around Hampshire back roads, which are ‘variable’) and not had any issues running such low pressures. Was a bit surprised at where the pressures ended up, but I’m from a MTB background so don’t have any roadie baggage as to how one ‘should’ set up their bike. That’s just where they settled after a bit of trialing.

FYI – some of the Hunt rims have very similar rim diameters, and they advocate running 25mm tyres on 21mm internal rims. It was that corroboration plus other bits of reading which gave me a bit of confidence in the LB rims (or similar) would match well with the Roubaix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Deep rim disc wheel set 12mm axels £800 ?’ is closed to new replies.