Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Deep Drop Road Calipers – What are my options?
  • Mat

I’m upgrading the groupset on Mrs Mat’s road bike (’07 Giant SCR 3), I started fitting all the bits and on offering up the brake calipers I realised that I should have bought deep drop! It’s a nice black 105 groupset and I’m a bit miffed that I’m going to have to use something else. Any suggestions on what to get that’s roughly equivalent (and black)? I’ve been looking at these…

TRP RG957 Deep Drop Brakes

Tektro R539 Long drop brake calipers

Shimano R650 – these don’t seem to come in black…

brooess
    Free Member

Take a look at Condor. Their own brand deep drops are really nice

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve got the 650s with a 105 groupset on my Genesis. Great brakes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These ones in black: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-br-r451-dual-pivot-57mm-drop-brake-caliper/

tektros are shite, those other Shimanos are more expensive and are pretty much the same and those TRP’s are well dear.

mikeyp

The condor deep drops are rebadged tektros as far as I can tell. I had the same problem with a black 105 group set. I went for the tektros which are fine, a bit spongy and not as good as Shimano. I couldn’t see another option last year.

mikeyp

Just seen davidtaylforths post. Get them. Not seen them in black before.

chakaping
    Free Member

The tektro ones are fine with upgraded pads.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    The tektro ones are fine with upgraded pads.

Mine seemed pretty flexy/spongy, plus the front one came undone whilst descending gummers howe. I swapped to those Shimanos and they felt far better.

Mat

Thanks for all the replies, I reckon the shimano R451s look like a good bet (I’d go for 650 but I’m a tart and want the groupset to vaguely match!)

Mat

TiRed

R650s every time. These are identical to Ultegra 6600 (apart from the reach, obviously). They also work in the wet.

Tektro bolts will rust.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Deep Drop Road Calipers – What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.