Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Deejay Memorial repositioning
  • five7five
    Free Member

Many of you will remember that, following the passing of our friend David Johnson (Deejay to many of you on this forum) last year, we erected a ‘handlebar’ memorial on Fremington edge in his memory.
    Unfortunately an official complaint has been made regarding it and consequently, today, it was removed and repositioned.
    The cairn which formed the base of the memorials’ former location remains in place so please say hello to Deejay when you zip by on the way down or give him a nod if you are riding up.
    The new location (still on Fremmy) is on private land and is not immediately adjacent to bridleways or footpaths.
    It is a shame that it is no longer available for all to see.

jamj1974

Sorry to hear that. If it wasn’t an obstruction why would anyone care…? Sad news.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I never knew him but our group stopped there for a moment last time we were there. How could someone complain about something like that when every other lamppost has flowers strapped to it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Really don’t know how someone can complain about a memorial to someone who loved the outdoors, saddo’s obviously.
    It was probably the ‘angry gamekeeper’ we came across on the Moresdale Road once, he blatantly hated bikers.

mt
    Free Member

It was not the gamekeeper mentioned above.

FFJA
    Free Member

Wasn’t a gamekeeper or farmer in this case.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So the complainer is known to you?

ton

me, junky and troutie were talking about riding with deejay today. some fantastic memories of riding with a fantastic bloke.
    he would have loved our dales killer today.

jamj1974

he would have loved our dales killer today.

Best memorial there is – your memories.

lowey

Unbelievable. 😥

andybrad

we have passed that a couple of times recently. I thought it was quite nice actually.

Even more so not i know what it was there for! Gutted its been moved.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Come on MT, who was it?!!
    (OK then, just tell us why)

wittonweavers
    Free Member

On the face of it this seems like petty mindedness on someones behalf. But as you know who it was, then i suspect you know why they wanted it moving? Did they have a valid point?

pennine
    Free Member

The subject of mountain memorials was hotly debated in Scotland about 10 years ago. Large numbers of mountaineers and hill walkers were against any form of ‘memorial’ on the hills (particularly The Ben). Many were removed over subsequent years.

Sorry guys, and I know I’m in a minority here, but as a keen hill walker of almost 50yrs (mtber 20yrs) I would prefer it that my friends and family remember me in the natural environment rather than giving homage to a pseudo idol in the form of a memorial that would only taint the places I love.

Here I am remembering the 5th anniversary of my brother’s death (he loved the mountains also). His ashes were scattered from this spot (he lived in the Dales). Any suggestion of a ‘memorial’ on Ingleborough would have been flatly declined. The same goes for me!

Dickyboy

Pennine +1

scotroutes

Pennine +2

It’s not a trend I’d like to see and if it’s good enough for one then it’s good enough for many.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well said Pennine.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As pennine said.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well yes, I suppose if everyone erected a memorial to everyone that had special places in the hills the UK would be covered in walking boots & handlebars!
    I still wouldn’t complain about any I came across though.

scotroutes

It might be handy if you were out riding and snapped a handlebar though.

Sandwich

Another +1 for Pennine.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, I recognise pennines concern, but at the same time there’s a long history of memorial cairns, theres been some amazing work done into their social history, going back millennia and crossing continents and cultures.

I’d never like the hills to be covered with rotting flowers and football jerseys, but the old way, of placing a small momento of a loved one in the base of a cairn and each person who visited adding a stone is an integral part of our culture since time immemorial

Esme
    Free Member

I also agree with Pennine. The National Trust take a similar view:
    We aim to keep the spirit and natural beauty of our countryside places and gardens and can no longer agree to plaques or inscriptions on countryside furniture, stiles etc. We hope you will understand our approach to help the natural environment stay as special and free from intrusion as possible.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I fully agree with pennine and the info from the national trust…

but

there is a huge difference between not wanting to actively promote the placement of the cairns / plaques etc and feeling the need to actively have one removed.

Surely for 99% of people, they see them, mentally register them and move on without any urge to expend time and effort having something done about them?

martinhutch

Saw that last time I was up in Swaledale. Didn’t bother me at all, but I can understand the view that it’s better to have none than potentially lots.

freeagent
    Free Member

another +1 for Pennine.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

there is a huge difference between not wanting to actively promote the placement of the cairns / plaques etc and feeling the need to actively have one removed.

Surely for 99% of people, they see them, mentally register them and move on without any urge to expend time and effort having something done about them?

Maybe, but then it’s OK for everyone to have one isn’t it, if there’s that one up on that edge?

Another +1 for Pennine and the NT.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not getting involved in the debate but doffs caps in respect to Deejay
    Missed by many and many, on here, knew him far better than I did

suedeejay
    Free Member

Deejay’s handlebar memorial cairn was built by his biking friends, which was a kind and beautiful thing to do. Walking or riding past it has been a great comfort to his family and friends. As some have pointed out there are regulations which govern national parks, which is of course correct. The handle bars have been able to stay in place for so long because the man who farms that part of the Edge is an old school friend of mine and also knew Deejay. In addition the Swaledale ranger has been very considerate. There is no debate, nor recriminations,just the post explaining (to those on this forum who would be concerned to see them missing) that they have been re-positioned.

Many thanks for the kind comments about Deejay.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Deejay Memorial repositioning’ is closed to new replies.