Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Decrap my new laptop
  • onandon
    Free Member

Hello

New lappy was delivered today so I want to learn by previous mistakes and decrap the bloat ware before doesn’t anything else.

What the best way to go about doing this ?

It’s a Lenovo if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

If it’s a new laptop, it shouldn’t matter, just use it.

Only think I’d say is uninstall any virus software that came with it, use the system for that.

If you really must, just go through the list of installed programs, and start uninstalling.

whitestone
    Free Member

Simplest way (assuming you have the Windows disk and authorisation code) is to format the drive and reinstall from scratch.

richmars

I think whitestone’s suggestion is a bit over the top. We got my son a Lenovo lap top just after Christmas and I got a new HP last week. The only thing we did was remove the ‘free’ AV and start to use Windows stuff. There’s a bit of HP stuff, to monitor temps but nothing much else. Only had to remove the drop box app which we didn’t need.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Whitestone is bang on.

A fresh clean install is by far the best way, and will lead to a lot less trouble down the line

mattyfez

Just go into apps and features in settings, and uninstall the bloat you dont need.

Afterward download and run Ccleaner, then reboot. done.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’m with Whitestone and stenhouse.
    You can grab your “cd key” and exact windows build number using any number of apps/commands then download a fresh clean version direct from microsoft.
    Or, buy a signature edition PC from the Microsoft store for clean unbloated windows installs.
    Sure it’s a hassle, but Google Lenovo bloatware.

SooperCooper
    Free Member

PC Decrapifier

I use it all the time on new Laptops.

Sundayjumper

I’m with Whitestone and stenhouse and dirk.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Havent read the replies but assume as new it’s W10.. reboot into recovery and do a clean install of 10. via the ‘reset this PC’, not factory restore which will put all the bloatware back on again.

Waderider
    Free Member

Just to say I remove all crapware from the families new purchases and have done for years. Disagree with Seosam. But full windows reinstall sounds like quite a lot of work. PC Decrapifier might be tried here next time.

Making the effort with this makes a wonderful difference to computer performance and can also reduce spurious updating and annoying popups etc.

And once you’ve done all that dual boot with linux to make things even faster.

Cougar

Dunno about the domestic ones, but the enterprise models we buy have very little bloatware on them to start with (not that it matters cos we re-image them). Definitely get rid of any trial AV though.

You can grab your “cd key” and exact windows build number using any number of apps/commands then download a fresh clean version direct from microsoft.

W10 doesn’t use CD keys in this sense.

Afterward download and run Ccleaner, then reboot. done.

No offence, but I do wish people would stop recommending CCleaner to people who aren’t really sure what they’re doing. It’s the sort of advice that ends up with me reinstalling entire OSes.

ross980
    Free Member

I have an older Lenovo, there’s all sorts of crap on there I wish I had got rid of at the outset. Not sure if the new ones are better or not.

onandon
    Free Member

Thanks all. Still not sure what to do 🙂

Lenovo were given a kicking last year and asked to reduce their bloat. It is apparently better than before but I can’t stand the constant updates and pop ups.

My previous laptop was a Sony vaio which was basically unusable a lot of the time due to updates.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Decrap my new laptop’ is closed to new replies.