Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Decorating help. Woodchip on plasterboard ahhhhh!
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

Need some guidance

I have an interior plasterboard wall in my bedroom

A previous owner of the flat hung woodchip wallpaper directly onto the wall – no evidence of any sealing prior to sticking up the paper.

I’ve removed lots of the paper by scraping and soaking – but I’m starting to think I’m wasting my time

With the really stubborn bits , the more I soak and scrape I’m just starting to trash the upper layers of the plasterboard
    I’m not sure if the surface will be good enough for a plasterer to skim over. Should I save myself the effort and just get the old board removed and new plasterboard fitted and skimmed?

I’m going to have the same issue again when I do the hallway on the other side of the wall.

Thanks

jam-bo

Tried a steamer?

pymwymis
    Free Member

You have answered your own question.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andy7t2
    Free Member

No just carry on the plasterer will sort it out

Any stubborn bit just plaster over

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

BURN the building down and rebuild. Its the only way.

Squirrel

Hmmm. Have you tried a steam stripper? Or could you add another layer of plasterboard over the existing one? Might affect skirtings, sockets and switches though.

spooky_b329

If its stuck on that bad, can’t the plasterer just skim over in anyway?!

andcarson
    Free Member

I feel your pain having spent a month removing a house-full of wood chip. I thought I had completely battered lots of plasterboard beyond repair, but it was fine to plaster over the gouges and holes in the end.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Thanks people. I’ll scrape off what I can , then hopefully it will be fine to skim over

andyl
    Free Member

Careful with a steamer on plasterboard.

Sounds a nightmare, why do people take shortcuts like this? I found skims of filler over thick paint, under paper which started to come off when I used the steamer. The filler was there to hide rawl plugs that were slightly proud. I just put a screw in and pulled them out and filled the holes as the previous people who did it should have done.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Get it off because the plaster will soak the paper, loosen the glue and there won’t be a good bond…and it will end in tears! I use a Zinsser paper tiger to score it and Zinsser DIF to eat the glue. If it’s been painted and you are trying to get it off with soap and water, give up and buy the stuff above. HTH

NZCol

Paint it in an oil based sealer then skim plaster over.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Decorating help. Woodchip on plasterboard ahhhhh!’ is closed to new replies.