Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Decorating advice
  • andybrad

So I’ve got a downstairs toilet that’s basically being used as storage for coats / biking backpacks and gardening stuff. As such it’s been slightly damp for the last year and as such it now needs sorting.

So I’m fitting a new extractor fan that will run 24/7 but I’m wonder if there is any specific type of wallpaper I could use that may help reduce the mould or help stop it looking grubby when dirty coats have been hung against it.

Secondly I’ve got a tiled splash back around the sink. I’m going to retile this. Is it best I tile and then paper up to it?
    Daft questions I know

wrightyson
    Free Member

I wouldn’t paper it at all to be fair . It’s a bit like a sponge really.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Tile the whole room?

wrightyson
    Free Member

However you’re about to get a load of contradictory advice so make up you’re own mind as it appears there’s a lot of “knowledge” here these days

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Not daft questions.

Are you completely wedded to wallpaper? ‘Cos you could just paint the room with kitchen & bathroom paint. Water resistant and wipe clean.

If you do stick with paper, tile then paper up to the edge of the tiles.

project
    Free Member

install a small thermo tube heater and a thermostat and leave on

andybrad

Got a rad in there and it’s cozy now. Mold will no longer be an issue. But mucky wet coats may be.

czthompson

If it’s more of a store room I’d just use 8×4 sheets of pvc cladding on the walls. Will work out reasonably cheap for a small toilet and is amazingly wipe cleanable..

andy4d

As others said I would avoid wallpaper for the conditions mentioned and stick to kitchen/bathroom paint or tiled, or even a mix of both.

bigh
    Free Member

I would also avoid wallpaper. Look up zinsser permanent white, it’s mould resistant, but white…
    If the walls are in a bad way and you have to wallpaper then look up anaglypta armadillo, it’s expensive but tough as hell. It does need painting over though.

Forgot, the zinsser perma white is tintable so you can get colours from some retailers

jeffl

Rather than having an annoying extractor running 24/7 have it hooked up to a humidistat so it only comes on when the humidity reaches a certain point. If you’re not using it as a toilet then you don’t need it on a timer to get rid of smells.

andybrad

were going to use it as a toilet as well.

My thoughts are that the issue will be the coats. If they are wet / damp they will need to be dried to stop it getting damp n there. Im not 100% on how to achieve this as space is limited. Ie if i put a coat hanger rail in i cant open the door. If i have a constant runing fan then this may offer some help to get the damp air out?

so painting is a better option to wallpaper? I ws thinking of getting some wipe clean paper?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Rather than having an annoying extractor running 24/7 have it hooked up to a humidistat so it only comes on when the humidity reaches a certain point.

This, rather than 24/7.

jeffl

You can get an extractor that will work on both a timer and a humidistat, best of both worlds.

jonba
    Free Member

AS above, I’d go with a kitchen or bathroom paint. Probably a bathroom as they are designed for humid atmospheres.

I’m biased* but I’ve done the bathrooms and high traffic areas of my house with Dulux Trade diamond. It has been good for nearly 4 years now. I’ve been suprised by how tough it has been when scrubbing marks off in the utility room. They do a standard retail product as well, I can’t remember the branding.

*I work for Akzonobel so get it cheap, opinions are my own. If you want professional advice then try the Dulux decorating centres as deco is not my area.

andybrad

Ive had issues with humidity stat fans in the past. Basically only working when it drops cold.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Decorating advice’ is closed to new replies.