Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Deconstructed coffee..
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

coffee lover ordered milk?

slowoldman

Well at least there was a paddle!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@wewantplates
    *Caution – may induce extreme rage *

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What’s the water & milk for?
    #Callyourselfacoffeeaffionado

beej

Order a caffe (con) latte in Italy and you’ll often get the milk on the side. It won’t be served on a plank though, they’ve progressed trays and tables.

mogrim

Order a “café con hielo” in Spain and the glass with ice will be on the side. Haven’t seen planks in restaurants, but I’m sure that’s just a matter of time.

MrSmith
    Free Member

split shots have been here a while, i often order a single espresso and single machiatto (made from the same double shot)

Daffy

thomthumb – Member
    coffee lover ordered milk?

Judging by the amount and type of milk, it may be a Flat White which is quite common in Oz.

theotherjonv

Been doing it with tea for years, in all the best places.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the water & milk for?

That’ll be because not everyone wants to always drink coffee in the form of a straight espresso.

Personally I generally find that when my coffee is made by other people it has too much water and/or milk for my taste, so I would welcome the opportunity to decide for myself the espresso-water-milk ratio.

Although I would worry that serving it in separate vessels might cause it to cool excessively fast.

mrhoppy

It didn’t come with a cup/mug/whatever to drink it from though. Who wants to drink from a glass beaker from a school science lab?

I can make drinks myself at home, in a cafe then I’m paying money to have it made for me, thats only one step up from just handing some beans over.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can make drinks myself at home, in a cafe then I’m paying money to have it made for me, thats only one step up from just handing some beans over.

+1

Masterchef has a lot to answer for with “deconstructed” anything seeming to be a pass to the next round.

You’ve not ‘deconstructed’ anything, you’ve served a biscuit, some jam and some mascarpone, not a jeffing cheesecake! Even my 90yr old nan can manage that after dinner (and too many sherries), but has the good grace to serve it;
    a) after pudding (usually crumble or pie, with custard, and not deconstructed)
    b) as cheese and biscuits.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You’ve not ‘deconstructed’ anything

Adding a load of rubbish to a product in its purest form and then removing it is hardly deconstucting it either.
    A coffee doesn’t need anything added (infact adding water simply dilutes the coffee, milk changes the taste and as for sugar!!!!) whereas a cheesecake is made up of ingredients and can be deconstructed

slowoldman

adding water simply dilutes the coffee

Quite right. Just chew the beans.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Quite right. Just chew the beans.

They’re more crunchy, like peanuts. And surprisingly moreish once you get over the grittiness. Great dipped in chocolate.

Fantastic near the end of a long ride, the speed the caffine hit’s is a bit brutal though!

convert

I’ve decided that being snobbish about other people having milk in coffee is odd. I like a good espresso as much as the next coffee geek, and adding milk does change it; but change is sometimes good! Macchiato or a proper (not an actual vat of coffee flavoured milk costa/starbuck call the same name) cappuccino of a morning is nice and coffee snobs can shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Torn about the deconstructed coffee thing – like Ernie the ability to adjust to personal taste appeals – but I’d want to drink the final creation from an actual mug and wouldn’t want it to be too cold from all the faffery.

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s a bit like ordering a cup of tea & receiving a paper cup of hot water and a tea bag floating in it. Despicable.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Gonna need a bigger steampunk dishwasher

squirrelking
    Free Member

A coffee doesn’t need anything added (infact adding water simply dilutes the coffee, milk changes the taste and as for sugar!!!!)

Pish, bet you think the same about whisky too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wewantplates

One of my pet hates. Deconstructed anything I won’t order, its the chefs job to put things together not mine

… clearly showing my age

nickc

coffee doesn’t need anything added (infact adding water simply dilutes the coffee, milk changes the taste and as for sugar!!!!)

Oh, the horror, other people deciding how they want their drinks served… 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

its the chefs job to put things together not mine

I’m fairly sure it doesn’t need a chef to make a cup of coffee. It’s really not that hard. How do you make yours?

soobalias
    Free Member

can i get a deconstructed espresso?

chewkw
    Free Member

Deconstructed coffee..

Excellent! So funny!

I say the coffee shop has done well to see those hipsters coming … 😆

I think all hipsters should drink the deconstructed coffee everyday!

Woohoo!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure it doesn’t need a chef to make a cup of coffee.

Correct, you need a barista 😉

I’m going to buck the trend and say I like the concept (but not the execution). Get a production line going and some less poncy glassware and you’ve got something quick which gives customers more choice about their coffee. And then you can beat to death the people who pour the espresso into the milk. Win-win.

chewkw
    Free Member

It will always be a good business idea when there is profit to be made regardless of how silly the idea is.

Silly idea require enough silly people to buy in so when enough profit is made out of those silly people the idea is no longer silly. It is now a brilliant idea! Kechinnng! 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Why is it silly to allow people make coffee how they like it? Same concept as custom vs. off the peg bike really.

chewkw
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    Why is it silly to allow people make coffee how they like it? Same concept as custom vs. off the peg bike really.

Don’t get me wrong as I have nothing against silly ideas. Profit is king so a silly idea to some might be a brilliant idea to others as long as the hype can be maintained. The important thing is how to generate the hype so others can be convinced … the cool factor has to be hyped otherwise nobody buys in. A bit like “… catching the surf wave …” innit.

The person who deconstructed the coffee might look silly or the idea might sound silly but they are not coz they are the ones selling the idea …

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m not getting you wrong, you are wrong, it’s not a silly idea.

chewkw
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I’m not getting you wrong, you are wrong, it’s not a silly idea.

Okay, okay I am wrong …

… now can I sell you some designer hot water?

Cougar

Pish, bet you think the same about whisky too.

Them’s fighting talk.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Water gives you a “Long black”, espresso over hot water, which Australians apparently like.

The milk though 😕 😉

(actually I do like froth, but there’s a time and a place for it 😀 )

MrSmith
    Free Member

now can I sell you some designer hot water?

Well the water you buy from a decent cafe will have been through a reverse osmosis system and have the correct level of dissolved solids (120ppm) and the right PH so in effect you will be purchasing designer water.

The budget option is Ashbrook Spring from Tesco’s, £1:40 for 5 litres and the perfect water for a home espresso machine. It’s actually been through an RO process on an industrial scale and isn’t out of a bucolic hole in the ground but just processed tap water.

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t mind seeing them being sold here coz that will be so funny. 😆

Anyway, I only drink Americano … filter coffee …

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

If you get it to go you could always borrow some of those mini shopping trollies they’re certain to have for serving chips in to help you carry your (cold) coffee to your car

jambalaya
    Free Member

Water gives you a “Long black”, espresso over hot water, which Australians apparently like.

French just ask for “cafe a longe” – roughly 40/60 expresso/water – they do it for you, no need for multiple beakers

mikey74
    Free Member

Can I [get] a deconstructed coffee machine please?

I’ve got no problem with shops taking hipsters for all they are worth: They deserve it. As long as the rest of us can order normal versions then carry on.

Re: Blaming Masterchef: I’ve rarely seen a “deconstructed” dish get positive responses on there, so the influence is somewhat misguided, if that is the case.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Some place in Italy they offered a small jug of hot water with the coffee which confused me.

ocrider

jambalaya – Member

French just ask for “cafe a longe”

Allongé. It’s also the French word for recumbent and that’s a fact 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Deconstructed coffee..’ is closed to new replies.