• This topic has 48 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Decking – help please! (Woman attempting DIY question…)
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

Right. I have decided to build some decking. Nothing fancy, just straightforward square shape. Before anyone suggests that this is a bad idea as I have barely any DIY experience and only one screwdriver to my name, I have already got all the decking boards sitting in my hall way, so I've got to do something with them!
    So, I've drawn out my plan, and got the easy cut decking joists. But the boards are too long for the area i want to do. Problem is, I only have one saw, and I'm pretty sure its not the right one to use. Popped into B&Q earlier and got a bit confused at the variety on offer. The saw I have is a Stanley Heavy Duty Saw, which apparently is good for "fast and efficient rough cuts" – but what sort do I need to use for making neat cuts to the decking boards?
    Why cant things be explained in easy-to-understand terms?
    Thank you!

theflatboy
    Free Member

if ever there was an example of a woman wanting decking…

GrahamS

Get. A. Man.

Hope that helps 😈

fubar
    Free Member

I'm a bloke..I've not got much of a clue either, except I'd buy something electric if I had much to cut!
    Awaits more informed answers…

crikey
    Free Member

I'm quite sure that posting a picture of yourself holding your only screwdriver in your bestest undies would produce more offers of help than you could cope with. It'd be like the Amish turning up to build a barn…

(the above is more a comment on the suggestibility of the average STWer than anything else..)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would use a electric circular saw as well – cutting decking by hand will be tedious.

a finer toothed saw is slower but leaves a neater edge – I'd be tempted to use your existing saw and then sand or file the cut edge to get it smooth. Good luck – break the job down into small sections and tasks and approach it methodically. Measure twice cut once.

Definitely get yourself an electric screwdriver / drill – makes life so much easier if you are doing a lot of screwing

TJ's right about a finer saw being slower, but giving a better finish.
    However, if one end of the decking butts up to a wall, you could put the rough end where it won't show.

dropoff

Where abouts are you there's bound to be someone on here who's free for a couple of hours. 🙂

lexiekay
    Free Member

thanks guys, very helpful 🙂
    one end does go up against a fence so I'll put the rough end up against that.

GrahamS – Member

Get. A. Man.

Hope that helps

I'd rather give it a go myself to be honest. thanks though….

llama

The saw is fine for decking

have you got anything else e.g. a drill? tape measure? spirit level?

What are you going to put it on?

Rio

Easy guide to putting in decking with list of tools required: Wickes decking guide

Good luck! 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

As above, if I wos you and had more than 3 or 4 lenths I'd be back to B&Q for an electric saw, ideally a circuler saw or Mitre Saw. But if you are new to the power tool thing might be best to try a Jig saw. An electruc drill with a screwdriver bit is the next essential.

Lastly, the decking boards are only half the story, you need a fair amount of wood and work for the base you are going to screw the deck to. My tip for that would be hammer a few fence posts in with a sledge hammer and screw the frame to that.

avdave2

And use end grain wood preserver on the cut ends.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

get a cordless power screwdriver (or borrow a tidy 'proper' heavy duty one)

use proper decking screws (green tanalised ones- or whatever the word is)

lay the first board a then space them out using screws so you leave a gap for when it expands.

make sure the level drops off away from the house etc, so when it rains it runs away from he house/wall.

i put put decking in our garden 2 years ago, the hardest part was making the frame underneath, the actually screwing the boards in is the easy/fun bit.

use a good branded wood STAIN rather than pikey wilkos decking paint

if i can do it, ANYONE can!

good luck

lexiekay
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks loads for the tips!
    Decking is going on some hard packed earth, its not raised so should be ok. Will let you know how it goes!

GrahamS

I'd rather give it a go myself to be honest. thanks though….

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm **** all help with the DIY bit, but I would make sure you put down some weed prevention if you are putting the decking on top of "hard packed earth".

You can get sheets of weed proof material which you lay down. Not the prettiest though, so you might want to cover with some wood chippings or gravel if the decking is quite open slats.

Failing that get some industrial strength weed killer napalm down.

chickenman

Cutting boards to length is fine with a handsaw; yours is a little on the course side, so hit it with some 80 or 120 grit sandpaper to tidy up cuts.
    Cutting a board down its length with a handsaw will make you loose the will to live…as suggested don't use a circular saw for this if you've not been shown how to do it, use a jigsaw instead (pendulum action on max!)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I wouldnt dream of touching decking with a handsaw. Not only will you end up with crappy cuts due to your arm falling off after 3-4 boards but you will, as stated lose the will to live.

Take your money and hire a proper circular saw (Preferably on a bench type thing) and do the job properly. Me and the father in law laid one 3yrs ago. I borrowed a commercial saw from a joiner friend. We had it down to a fine art of one cutting and handing it to the other to screw down. The saw made mince meat of the wood.

The reason i was told using a hand saw was so bad is because the wood is artificially dried/cooked. It is the hardest wood ever and it just doesnt cut like normal wood.

br
    Free Member

Mitre saw for x-cutting

Table saw for decent along-the-length cutting

2 electric drills, 1 for drilling and 1 for screwing

Do not just rest the beams on the earth, dig down and concrete in 'feet'

Ensure that decking is angled (only 1-2 degrees) away from any house wall

Use screws (green decking ones), not nails (probably cheaper from screwfix)

Measure twice, cut once.

b1galus
    Free Member

candle wax along the saw blade will stop it sticking and help it slide through the wood use brass or stainless steel screws ,if you lay it on the ground it will rot tannalised or not buy a length of four by four and use that to make posts to hang the framing on

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This has to be a troll thread. 😯

llama

I did one on dirt. I dug out to 6 inches, lined with weed membrane, and filled with sharp sand. No need to make it slope away from the house it will drain at least as well as the dirt thats there now.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – Member

This has to be a troll thread.

why?

br
    Free Member

No need to make it slope away from the house it will drain at least as well as the dirt thats there now.

Except it could now be above the damp-proof membrane…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Because to OP has perfectly set the question and scenario up for maximum effect. Its even worded in a twee manner to get the: 'Ug. Man-help-useless-female' response from the gullible.

Seems to have worked IMO. Maybe I'm just a suspicious bastard? No wait, I AM a suspicious bastard!
    😈

big-chief-96
    Free Member

my advice, scrap the plans, scrap the proper tools, get it all outside, start to look like your doing something and then get a few bottles of beer, get some friends and stand about talking. It's what everyone does at dig days and no one complains.

project
    Free Member

lexikey, where abouts are you, b and q will cut the boards to length for free sometimes.

You need a proper electric cross cut saw, these are powerful machines and need care in use, they take no prisoners, eg your fingers.

Dont forget to ensure the base is solid, as once the planks go on the top, thats it, also dont forget about weed control from underneath growing through the deck boards.

cinnamon_girl

Good luck lexiekay! This is the best place to ask for advice – the guys are always so helpful. 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You could always hire a suitable power saw, pop down to your local tool hire shop they will help you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't forget to put the weed membrane in (mentioned above) or you will be cursing by the end of the summer.

project
    Free Member

Why not get a home makeover show to do it for you.

cinnamon_girl

Scienceofficer – you seem to be the only person that holds that opinion.

Of course us girlies are always happy to help out on threads entitled "what should I get my missus for her birthday/Xmas" etc.

Please don't try and frighten us away. 😉

Andituk
    Free Member

Why not get a home makeover show to do it for you.

Maybe thats the plan.

Ask on here, then cock it up completely. Then ring DIY SOS and tell them a sob story about men on the internet praying on her. The Daily Mail might start a campaign for her if DIY SOS can't help.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Remember to counter sink your screw holes, you'll get a much better finish and also drill the holes for the screws on the peaks not troughs on the decking, more wood to hold everything in place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Use a string line for when your screwing everything down. Nothing worse than a wavy line of screws. 🙂

BigJohn

Did I detect a concealed fnarr in TJ's post?

naokfreek
    Free Member

I suspect you mave have done so…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me? Never.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Arrange the decking in a teepee at the end of the garden and set fire to it Decking's so last decade 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

CG, I fail to see how expressing my opinion would frighten anyone away. Its not like I'm trying to take photos of your arse SFB style. I didn't even use bad language or a fnarr.
    🙄

Besides, you're tougher than that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Decking – help please! (Woman attempting DIY question…)’ is closed to new replies.