Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Decisions, Orange or Santa Cruz?
  • inbred853

I have decided to splash out on either an Orange 5 or Santa Cruz Heckler. First full sus bike after having fully rigid or hard-tail since I started pedaling a bike. I like simplicity of the single pivot design as far as maintenance issues go. At the moment I can't get to anywhere for a test ride, so any opinions would be most welcome.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Maybe only of limited help as I haven't ridden a Santa Cruz, but I was in the same boat as you last year (going for first full sus). I demo's a 5 at Afan south wales and never looked back. Felt absolutely awesome and along with the reviews I'd read I didn't see any point in looking further. I'd highly recommend the 5, but then see what people with a comparison say, and I would recommend trying to get demos before actually buying if at all possible.

Good luck

the_lecht_rocks

gotta be test ridden back to back, otherwise it's irrelevant, tbh…
    sizing is critical and without riding either, then how will you know ?

good luck

AndyRT
    Free Member

Don't the afan shop do both as demos?

AndyRT
    Free Member

personally I have a blur lt, and the nes bearings, with the grease gun (supplied) are as easilly lno lasting as a single pivot, but the ride is so much better! ( Used to have a prophet)

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Both great bikes, would test ride and see which suits you

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I was in the same dilemma over the same 2 bikes a year or so ago, as were a few others – they seem to be matching rivals. In the end went for the SC but the 5 was good too.

Bregante

One Planet at llandegla have a demo Orange 5 and a demo Heckler. I tried both on a demo day about 18 months ago (as well as a Commencal meta 5.5 which was far too twitchy/fragile feeling). I preferred the Heckler to be honest, though it was a heavier build with coil Pikes, which I preferred. Not much difference on the climbs but sooo much more planted going downhill.

In the end I bought neither as I got a great deal on an Enduro. Still quite fancy a Heckler as my next bike tho.

JimSu
    Free Member

Where do you live ? I love my 5 and you could happily borrow it if you are anywhere near south Sheffield

18bikes

ride them both, then see what you think?

We'll have a demo Heckler in next week, all being well – if you're nearby, borrow JimSus 5 and back to back round the Peak?

Si

skuds
    Free Member

They're so very similar, I'd say it's very much down to sizing and personal preference as to how the geometry feels for you and your particular riding style. A ride of each is a must, preferably back to back – suspect you'll feel the difference instantly.

I had my Five for 2 years and it's a quality bike, loved every minute…but just not the right fit for me (having ridden a mate's Heckler) whatever tweaks I made. If you examine the charts, the sizings between the 2 are fairly different (e.g. the 5 in Large is an 18" (seat tube), the Heckler is 19" – I fit a 19, but struggled with the 18 and the 20 would be too big!). The Heckler's also slacker (unless you're buying an 09 Five).

Cheers

igm

I rode them back to back – both from Stif and decided I liked the Orange more. It just felt more natural to me, whereas the Heckler felt a little wooden, not giving me the feed back I wanted, but not soaking up the trail either.

That was back in 2005 though, so they will have changed in 2010 configuration.

And if I'm honest it may well have been that the Orange had had its shock and forks service more recently.

But I bought the Five and when it wears out (if it wears out), I'd have another – probably. I'd still want to test ride a variety of stuff.

grantway
    Free Member

Give them both a go I chose the 5 myself and looked this year to
    change The 5 still felt very good against newer bikes so I ended up getting Orange to respray it Apple Green.
    Looks a new bike well chuffed only cost me £ 170.00p for a new bike Bargain :mrgreen:

slowrider
    Free Member

i demo'd both, went for the five though as id thought i would from looking on paper. slightly slacker head angle, longer wheelbase, lower bb and the maxle rear end all added up to what i wanted. id have happily had a heckler though, great bike. what suited me might be the opposite of what others want so i cant emphasise how worthwile a demo is. its very reasuring to KNOW you picked the right one!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Seriously, try and test both. They are both quite different, despite being similar on paper.

A happy Five owner. 🙂

Driller
    Free Member

I ride a Heckler, my GF rides a Five. Both brilliant bikes, you'll be happy whichever you ride.

Ride them both, look at the stats on paper, but buy it with your heart as much as your head. When you go in the garage you want to look at your bike and think 'I've just got to go out and ride that thing!' The Heckler does that for me, in spades.

inbred853

Thanks all for the advice,
    This is going to be a difficult decision as I moved to the US in August, (from South Wales, 40min from Afan), and can probably get a test ride on a SC fairly easy out here, I can buy an Orange 5 frame to build up, but not to test ride. I like the look of both bikes and have read a lot of reviews on both. I'm only a giant 5'7" and am looking at the 16" Orange or the small SC as my Inbred is a 16".
    The local trails out here in my part of Georgia tend to be quite fast flowing sandy singletrack, but further north there are some quite large mountain trails, which I still have to sample.
    I'll let you know whats been got, when I've got it!
    Thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Decisions, Orange or Santa Cruz?’ is closed to new replies.