Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Decisions Decisions! Sworks Frameset or Complete bike?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

ive put a deposit down for a new bike which comes to my local specialized consept store in december. which is a new Roubaix Expert UDI2 road bike. £4600. https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-roubaix-expert-udi2-2018-road-bike-EV306380

at the same time im tempted in an SWorks frameset £3350.
    https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/11001/2018-s-works-roubaix-sagan-superstar-frameset/

i know in the long run it will cost me more to build up the frameset to a complete bike but ive got the money and probably will never have that much money again to do what i want with. i think if i was to purchase frameset i would have the old current shimano ultegra DI2 groupset not the new one which will be like rocking horse S**t to get hold of.

ide really like others opinions to help me decide what to do? please.

onandon
    Free Member

I think the s works frame looks better but personally I wouldn’t buy either.

njee20
    Free Member

I was close to buying an S-Works Tarmac, but I eventually decided I didn’t like it enough to spend the money on it, so I bought a frame from China, and love it. HTH.

The advantage of the S-Works over the ‘normal’ one is minescule. Bragging rights, essentially. If however you’ll feel you compromised that’s a surefire way to end up disappointed with a £4600 bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Marge
    Free Member

sounds like you’ve decided already 😉

Like most of us, You probably need neither so if the cash won’t kill you go for the S-Works frameset and just smile that little bit more every you time you see it.

Rational answer is more like Njee’s solution.

milfordvet
    Free Member

I have a previous version Roubaix. Its more comfortable and compliant whilst being stiffer in the bottom bracket than the steel bike it replaced. The tall head tube saves my back, which is why I bought it. I have a ‘stiff’ Kuota road bike with carbon wheels which is faster but there is much more vibration that comes through. My understanding is the Sworks roubaix frame is a pro level frame with specific pro level stiffness for their win at all cost needs, and will be more uncomfortable in normal riding for normal folks doing normal things over the more standard frames. Depending on your intentions it might not be better for you as if your looking at Roubaix’s you are probably prioritising comfort in geometry and design etc…unless you are racing on cobles and your weekends are all about winning.

njee20
    Free Member

The Roubaix frames ridden by the pros periodically are a totally different geometry and layup, they don’t have 1000mm head tubes. Even in S-Works guise it’s still their ‘endurance’ frame, and offers a suitably ‘soft’ ride.

chalky46
    Free Member

I love both sworks frameset colours over the fully built up Roubaix.

So you all think it’s just a cosmetic difference between my options and not performance?

honourablegeorge

Aren;t they the exact same frame, but one comes with a full set of bits bolted on?

medders
    Free Member

Like Njee I was close to buying an S-Works tarmac. The guys in my LBS (from whom I would have bought it) persuaded me instead to go for the top spec normal Tarmac – basically saying the S-works isn’t worth it.

After a discount and a handlebar upgrade I ended up saving a little over £3k for a weight compromise of about 150g and slightly lower grade carbon lay-up as against the S-works. Neither comprise I notice. And my tarmac rides and looks badass (2017 pro disc model – oddly list price seems to be £550 more now than it was 6 months ago). I spent the money I saved on a 2016 scott scale 900 RC on sale from Pedalon.

So, in summary, even if you can afford it think about the good stuff you could get for yourself with the saved money. Would you notice the difference? If yes or you want the bragging rights then fill your boots.

Mind you that Roubaix at Evans is quite a munter.

simondbarnes

Aren;t they the exact same frame, but one comes with a full set of bits bolted on?

No, the S-Works has one more r

windydave13
    Free Member

Do it. If you don’t you’ll always have regret!! 😆 Thats what i did. I got an S-Works Roubaix frame from Bikescene and had it built up. My biggest regret is not going DI2 at the time as i wasn’t sure how much i’d ride it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Decisions Decisions! Sworks Frameset or Complete bike?’ is closed to new replies.