Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Decision time: only 1 bike can come with me
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Finally sorted some accommodation in Earlsfield, London and although some people will say I should take more I think it makes sense* to only take 1 bike. Got a ss mtb, sscx and a geared road bike to choose from. Very close to the train station so could strike out to the mtb trails (in theory at least) and also keen to take part in cx races if I can find the time. That said I do love just knocking out some miles on the road bike. So which bike should I take? Cx bike is ahead by a whisker right now – can do cx races, put it on the turbo and also explore trails. I could also sling some gears on there if needed/wanted to.

Cheers

*In that it’s a small flat rather than one bike makes more sense than many 😉

CountZero

Cxss, I would think. London is pretty flat, unless yopu’re going to regularly ride up to Ally Pally. While I’ve seen people hauling big, long-travel full-sussers around London streets, all the hipster types ride road fixies, or SS, so if it was me, I’d be going for light and manouverable, and minimum maintenance.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Anyone else want to wade in?

nickdavies

1 bike – convert the sscx to geared cx and take 2 sets of tyres.

I live in a small flat in the middle of Birmingham and have 4 bikes in there…. priorities!

Rig up some kind of frame so you can store multiple bikes in a corner on their back wheel up against the wall. Halfords do a cheap alloy 3 bike stand which would do the job, then fix something to the wall or a doorframe you can easily paint over to make right to attach the front wheels to. Ikea pan rails are cheap – you can stick one of those on the wall and use small bungees to attach the bikes to it.

Job done and no hard decisions about which bikes to part company with! 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah I had considered doing something like that but my gf works from home and as it’s a rental I’m averse to knocking stuff into walls or doorframes. Our last letting agent is charging us £180 to remove a mark from a tyre!

nickdavies

I’d be telling them to stick that! I’ve got a couple of tyre marks on the ceiling, i’m really not sure how they got there… 😯

CountZero

Our last letting agent is charging us £180 to remove a mark from a tyre!

Cheeky buggers! Send them a bottle of Cilit Bang.

Kuco

IMO trade all three and get a geared CX.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah we’re disputing the costs through deposit protection scheme (the buggers put rent arrears in as the reason instead of redecorating costs!)

I wouldn’t sell the mtb or road bike, I can leave them with friends and neither are available to buy anymore.

Cx looks like the smart move then…

Caher

or a Brompton and an Oyster Card?

fontmoss
    Free Member

I should point out this isn’t for commuting, this is entirely for recreation.

nickdavies

or a Brompton and an Oyster Card?

Or….

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRSLFTMTB/slingshot_fold_tech_mtb_frame

How cool is that for an oyster card wielding MTB’er!

huws
    Free Member

Of the three SSCX is probably the most useful for London life.

Herne hill velodrome hold CX races through the winter.

samuri
    Free Member

If you chop off an arm can you fit in two bikes?

if not, take the cx bike.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Watching the tour makes me want to take my road bike 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Decision time: only 1 bike can come with me’ is closed to new replies.