Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • decided to go to 10sp
  • kwack
    Free Member

9sp cassette and chain need replacing

Whats good deal at moment on usual stuff needed?

Will be 1×10

Have got used to xtr shifter and xt rear mech so was thinking same but in 10sp?

Is saint shifter any good ..also want to leave option for a hope trex at some point so guess a medium cage is the way to go

Cheers
    kwack

ricky1
    Free Member

Got all my gear a week ago from crc,xt cassette and chain for £30,Saint shifter which is nice and smooth £38,slx clutch mech £25,e13 36t ring £30 but I’ve got a hope narrow wide 34 t also,crc really is the cheapest I tried doing it other ways but you really do need it all yo be brand new,think it all cost me about £200 but I got the narrow wide ring so your looking about £150,I love my set up don’t think I’ll ever go back to triple/double,not for a full suss anyways.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m currently searching.

Trying to decide between a 1×10 with narrow wide and secret granny (a granny you shift to by hand for long ups) and a 2×10.

It’s a pity that CRC have stopped doing their 1×10 bundles. It seems others (Wiggle etc) are out of stock too.

From my reading and research:

XT and up for the cassette so you can remove a ring when / if adding a T Rex.

Zee and Saint mechs aren’t brilliant for a 40t ring at the back. Some say they work, some have problems. SLX, XT, XTR for the rear mech. I went for XT.

A chain – pay your money and make your choice. They all seem much of a muchness. Cassette and chain bundles can save you a few pounds.

I like the look of Saint shifters but money’s tight. Zee get mixed reviews. I’m keeping an eye out on the classifieds but if I buy new, SLX or XT.

If I go 1×10, I think a Raceface narrow wide. They seem to keep their anodising better than others.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmb467
    Free Member

Ace components groupset

N/w ring, dinner plate, single ring bolts, chain and 16t sprocket for £99

Cassette, shifter and mech from crc or whoever is cheapest. Just make sure cassette is XT

kwack
    Free Member

Cheers all…already have a n/w which i use on my 1×9 at moment

Was looking at xt rear mech but was wondering whether a zee mech would be ok

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have a zee rear mech and it can only just cope with the range of an 11-36 cassette and the chain growth on my Spitfire. If you have any plans of using a range extender then I’d stick with a medium cage mech.

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks Dave Walsh that’s useful to know as I want to buy once buy right

Looks like saint shifter. Slx shadow plus. Xt cassette

continuity
    Free Member

Saint shifter? That’s the least place you want to spend dollar.

I would go zee rear 11-36 xt xt/slx shifter and spend the extra on a set of jagwire ripcord cables

Full length covered cables in a frame without routing for them? sounds good to me

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just gone zee freeride mech and shifter with oneup 42 rear with RF front. Shifts lovely and is easily the match for my old 2×9.

chiefgrooveguru

Saint shifter is brilliant – well worth the money, unlike a fractionally lighter mech which is waiting to be broken by a loose branch or rock. The other bits on my 1×10 bikes are XT cassettes, KMC X10L chains (two per bike, alternating to reduce sprocket wear), Zee short cage on the hardtail, SLX medium cage on the full-sus (to cope with the chain growth), Works 34t NW rings.

DT78
    Free Member

Zee shifter and mech, xt chain and cassette and a superstar n/w just fitted to my hardtail. Works great. I’m not bothered about a range extender. I’ll take my other bike if there are big hills!

tmb467
    Free Member

+1 for saint shifter – feel and control is great

Plus the levers are longer so I can get the brake / shifter position just right

That with an XT mech, rad cage and extender is near perfect for me

tmb467
    Free Member

Btw – zee mech and extender really didn’t work well for me at all…chain growth broke two mechs and one chain for me

Slx shifter didn’t cut it really – especially with a long cage XT mech. Slooww shifts

kwack
    Free Member

I want to be able to fit a trex at some point hence a medium cage rear mech. .shifter wise i like my current xtr which is miles ahead of xt in my experience. Hence its either xtr or saint shifter

Happy to be persuaded otherwise…never ridden any 10spd so feel etc may have moved on

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘decided to go to 10sp’ is closed to new replies.