Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Decently priced waterproof SPD boot- does it exist?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

The plan for me this year is to commute as much as possible through the winter, and right now I’m using a pair of BBB waterproof overshoes over my shoes.

These work up to a point, but they tear quite easily and are a bit of a pain.

Anyone know of a decently-priced pair of spd waterproof boot for road use?

binners

According to the email I’ve just got, these are on offer at Cycle surgery today

much cheapness

Not the best looking shoes in the world, but if they keep your feet dry

slugwash
    Free Member

Those Lakes in the link ^^^^^ decently priced but not very waterproof IME. Also, not that warm in the cold or when wet. They also suit people with long, thin feet. A Pair of Sealskins in your regular SPDs a better option.

HTH

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of MW80s for the past 2 winters and they seem spot on

codybrennan
    Free Member

Crikey. Those are very reasonably priced.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

bite the bullet and get some Northwave Celcius/Fahrenheits. Not cheap but you won’t regret it. I commuted all last winter and they paid me back easily.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I’ve used MW80s for the last couple of years, waterproof, toasty and so comfy I didn’t want to change back to my summer disco slippers.

somafunk

I’m after something similar : they have to be warm, waterproof, smooth uppers so mud doesn’t clag them up and with a cuff round round the ankle as i wear cycling tights rather than overtrousers. Oh!, and have to be pretty decent looking, IE : not “special boots”.

Moon on a stick springs to mind, although the new Mavic or sidi winter offerings look promising.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think I might well have to go a bit higher than the Lakes, nice as they are. I’ll check out the NWs and the NW80s.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

wwaswas

those Lake ones do look like you’re wearing a pair of wetsuit boots and spd sandals, tbh.

I’d go for proper boots over sealskins and if it’s for commuting then spending a bit must be worth it?

DenDennis
    Free Member

just a query on these, for those in the know- I find with regular SPD shoes the water often gets in through the bottom hole where the cleat fixing is.
    I guess waterproof boots have a different detail there to avoid this?

thanks

DaveRambo

Boots are only decently priced if they are properly waterproof.

I wear some Shimano MW80 boots and they are largely waterproof, the only downside being they don’t cope with water running down your leg into the boot on an all day ride. They cost £100ish and have lasted me 2 winters so far – very well made IMO.

Saw a tip from someone on a forum who cut the fingers off a latex glove and used the hand part to seal their leg to below the neoprene cuff and reported it worked a treat – It’s on my list of things to try this winter.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Last year I plumped for a pair of the Aldi’s shoes that are now on sale. I intended to tape up the mesh areas( in the end I never bothered) and to leave them in the overshoes. I went a size up to wear some warm socks as well. Worked well and kept warm.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

those lakes at cyclesurgery seems to have been on offer there for a couple of years now…

neil853
    Free Member

Four years ago I took the plunge and bought some mw80’s. only now are they starting to look a bit tired but they’ve had four winters and two years commuting, not bad in my eyes and to be honest worth every penny.

ton

laugh at me if you want, but on my commute to work yesterday and today i wore these.

i arrived at work with dry warm feet.
    and afterall, commuting aint no fashion show is it?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Saw a tip from someone on a forum who cut the fingers off a latex glove and used the hand part to seal their leg to below the neoprene cuff and reported it worked a treat – It’s on my list of things to try this winter.

This might have been me as it’s one of my tried-and-tested methods for several years. Tesco do black heavy duty gloves.

Whoever it was, it’s certainly worth it – I’ve yet to find a sock or overshoe that doesn’t leak water in via the cuff/top.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Hum… seeing this thread reminded me that I need to replace my 4 year old MW80’s this year – but having just done a quick google search they appear to be pretty thin on the ground.

Discontinued at Wiggle and CRC, with only odd sizes at other stores. Are they being replaced by a newer model? Are they just hard to get a hold of? Or am i being a bit dim and missing the obvious?

If anyone spots them I’m looking for a size 40

mcboo
    Free Member

Another one for Shimano MW80s – at the very top of my all time bike kit that I’d buy again without hesitation. Warm, dry and very comfortable.

thorpie
    Free Member

Looks like they have been replaced with MW81s, £104.99 on CRC and available in all sizes. Might be worth a look?

Trevor.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I see that thorpie, cheers. Looks like I’ll go with them.

Thanks all-

GrahamS

The Polaris Shredder boots in featured in last week’s Fresh Goods Friday looked interesting:

Not sure if £115 is exactly what I’d call “decently priced” though.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I have some northwave celicius boots and they are freezing. I think they do an insulated version now but I was not that impressed with them. They also weren’t that waterproof after a bit.

I now use the Shimano walking boot SPD shoe. They are great, warm, comfy and dry. Although water does get in the tops like any shoe. When they do get a soaking they take days to dry out.

I like the rubber glove idea. I was meaning to get round to buying some dry suit cuffs to do the same idea.

EDIT: Meant to say, surely the “cheapest” method would be to buy some good value comfy normal shoes and glue a neoprene overshoe onto the rand. Common practice for mountaineering boots and gaiters.

MarkN
    Free Member

just a query on these, for those in the know- I find with regular SPD shoes the water often gets in through the bottom hole where the cleat fixing is.
    I guess waterproof boots have a different detail there to avoid this?

Silicone is your friend. I have squirted some clear silicone up around where the plate from the inner is and then did the cleat up, copper ease on the bolts, and job done.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

One of my cycling mates bought those Lakes last time they were on offer and they are absolutely useless! No idea how they can claim to be waterproof as they are neoprene so just got very cold and wet.

I think he has literally worn them once and then went back to normal shoes with overshoes on.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Northwave boots for me too- very cosy 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

thorpie – Member
    Looks like they have been replaced with MW81s, £104.99 on CRC and available in all sizes. Might be worth a look?

Trevor.

Thanks for that – should have searched harder 🙄 Doh

🙂

zilog6128

those lakes at cyclesurgery seems to have been on offer there for a couple of years now…

Yeah, they wheel them out with the offer at about this time every year. They are old stock, don’t think Lake have made them for years.

alex222
    Free Member

I have those lake ones, they are pretty good.

D0NK

been using shimano winter boots for many years and quite a few different models. Good as a general crap weather boot but still beaten by lots of rain and proper cold temps. Had the NW celsius too, comfier and warmer than shimanos but more open at the top for water/mud/snow ingress and lace system kept breaking.

Gonna have to try some of these lake bad boys this winter if I can get some cheapish

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice.

Based on reviews, price, availabilty, I went for the MW81s from CRC.

I’ll let you all know how they work out.

cheers all

transapp
    Free Member

Good spot on the MW81’s. A pair on order at lunch time!

thorpie
    Free Member

As an alternative to the MW81s does anyone have a pair of the XC50Ns? Not Goretex but have sealed uppers, I have the normal XC50 and wondered if the N version would offer decent winter protection?

Trevor.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anyone use gaiters? I’m a bit long of leg and waterproof trousers tend to come up a touch short on me so I end up with a band of wetness twixt boot and trousers that gradually runs down inside the aforementioned shoe.

Northwaves Celcius are pretty good, fairly smooth to prevent clag buildup. Had mine for many years now and been really happy with them.

james
    Free Member

Kind of suprised/interested in not seeing any mention of the specialized defroster?

IIRC reiews of the outgoing model were that it wasn’t very warm, anyone any idea what the newer/latest model is like?

wisepranker
    Free Member

Has anyone used the Specialized Defroster winter boots?
    If so, are they any good?

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats because he said waterproof….

defroster is insulated but not waterproof

i use the mw81 for waterproof and a pair of neoprene overshoes for the heat aspect.

transapp
    Free Member

Thorpie, I have a pair of M182’s which have the sealed type uppers. Hot in the summer, wet and cold in the winter due to water ingress from the sole (through the cleat bolts, it’s not fully waterproof!), down the ankles and through the little ‘breather’ holes. Granted they are warmer than those with mesh bits, but not great for winter if you do longer rides.
    Just ordered the MW81’s. Looking forward to some muddy tracks to try them out!

wisepranker
    Free Member

thats because he said waterproof….

defroster is insulated but not waterproof

According to the Specialized website:

When the weather is a problem, we have the solution. Our new waterproof and fully insulated Defroster with BodyGeometry technology will keep your feet warm and dry no matter how bad the conditions may be.

Hence me asking.

luket

Picked up some Diadora ones off eBay a couple of years ago. They are rather “special” looking to say the least but they have been pretty effective, especially for the money. No experience of their newer models. I have found Specialized Defrosters to leak like a sieve but it might be that they didn’t close well enough around my wide feet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Decently priced waterproof SPD boot- does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.