Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Decent veggie sausages………
  • RustySpanner

That taste nice but don’t make the entire house smell of grease and fat.
    Do they exist?

We got some of the Linda McCartney ones cheap in Tesco, but the whole place keffs like a kebab shop.

Ta in advance.

woodsman
    Free Member

Cauldron

scotroutes

Aye Cauldron are good – as are the better quality Quorn ones (Chefs Selection)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Make your own you lazy arse. Jesus wept, do you need everything in an easy-open, easy-resealable cardboard **** box?!?!? FFS!!

meehaja
    Free Member

morrissons own brand. Every other sausage has disapointed me in some way.

RustySpanner

Got a nice recipe then smartarse? 😀

Meehaja, you’re right.
    The world is full of disappoiinting sausages.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph…that’s the problem with the likes of you…everything has to be delivered on a plate. Get off your arse and find one.

(No, I don’t sorry 😳 )

brakes
    Free Member

these are pretty damn good

sc-xc

Tesco Lincolnshire are ok, but agree that cauldron or chefs quorn are best from a regular supermarket.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Are you grilling or oven-ing the Linda ones. Oven seems to contain any smell when I do them. They’re also the only easily available vegan ones I’ve found. All the Quorn crap has milk and bloody eggs in.

RustySpanner

Used the George Foreman as the oven is kaput at the mo & the house is a building site.

I used to like Sosmix, but I can’t seem to find the proper stuff anymore.

andyl
    Free Member

Make your own you lazy arse. Jesus wept, do you need everything in an easy-open, easy-resealable cardboard **** box?!?!? FFS!!

Just eat the cardboard box, will taste about the same 😉

I have to admit I now eat the Quorn hotdogs in Ikea. Not because I am worried about what types of animal were used in the hotdog but more because of the quality of the meat and the fat content.

By the time it has a nice strip of mustard and ketchup on top it’s hard to tell the difference to the meat ones.

also trying to get the OH to agree to experimenting with Quorn and tofu etc. We try to save meat until the weekend anyway but it would be nice to try a few meat dishes with a meat substitute instead of normal vegetarian versions as it feels like I am missing out on protein a lot of the time.

binners

This is like asking for the best alcohol free beer. Have an orange juice instead Susan

Omelette? 😉

grum
    Free Member

also trying to get the OH to agree to experimenting with Quorn and tofu etc.

Filthy.

alpin
    Free Member

technically it aint a sausage if it aint got meant in it…..

alpin
    Free Member

would be nice to try a few meat dishes with a meat substitute instead of normal vegetarian versions as it feels like I am missing out on protein a lot of the time.

sneeky trip to maccy-Ds on the way home…. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Filthy.

😀

sneeky trip to maccy-Ds on the way home….

only time we eat maccy d’s is when the car is in for it’s MOT. If we don’t it fails.

Cougar

Cauldron sausages, Tivall hotdogs.

Tolls be trollin’, film at 11.

RustySpanner

Ta folks, will try the Cauldron & Quorn ones.

Cougar – Moderator
    Tolls be trollin’, film at 11.

I don’t get it?

binners – Member

This is like asking for the best alcohol free beer. Have an orange juice instead Susan
    And I believe madame has given up the snout? 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if you have a holland & barrett nearby and they have a freezer, then get the fry’s brand ones (any style)- they’re up there with the best i’ve ever had anywhere in the world.
    redwoods/vbites brand are very good too, if a little dense textured.
    we got some very very good ones in booths in chorley recently but i cannot remember what brand they were (they were irish though)!

scotroutes

Have you tried making your own out of Soreen and banana?

RustySpanner

Was going to do that last night, but left the ingredients on the car roof after a ride.

Ta mate, will try H & B.
    Don’t think Booths has ventured into Burnley yet.

I find the Linda McCarthorse ones far too salty.
    Most of the other easily available ones, Cauldron, Quorn etc. are not vegan.
    Sosmix is by far the best. It’s been rebranded though and is now Granose meat free sausage mix.

Looks like this.

Available in H&B and Tesco round here.

slowoldman

binners –

Omelette?
    I’ve always thought it a bit odd to make something veggie look like a meat dish. Sausages, burgers, nut cutlets. What’s it all about?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, because meat sausages are perfectly natural. I find inserting long cylindrical pieces of meat full of veins and other fluids into my mouth perfectly natural. Do you?

I believe cows that shit meat patties is about ready to begin field trials too.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Heretics the bloody lot of you.

Veggie sausages?

Pah.

What grot. You all should be ashamed.

brassneck

That taste nice but don’t make the entire house smell of grease and fat.

Compared to meat sausages? Pretty much any of em.

Quorn preferred, for the record.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve always thought it a bit odd to make something veggie look like a meat dish. Sausages, burgers, nut cutlets. What’s it all about?

Crikey not this again. I think you’ll probably find it’s not the shape of meat products that vegetarians aren’t too keen on.

sc-xc

🙄

They are handy shapes. What should we do? Star shapes? Rhombus?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I normally go for the Linda McCartney ones as they are high in protein and one of the only vegan ones that are easily available.

I like Fry’s chunky strips so it might be worth trying their sausages as well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

but the whole place keffs like a kebab shop.

The much missed verb to keff.

When I was about 12, my mate had a red setter called Kerry. She was a prolific farter and was inevitably christened Keffing Kerry!

Cheers RS. I will try to re-introduce that into my vernacular.

slowoldman

For the record my butcher’s sausages don’t seem to contain “veins and other fluids”.

My comment re. “veggie dish shapes” is that we seem to have this idea in the UK that veggie stuff is better when shaped into something. What’s wrong with the proper veggie stuff that tends to be served elsewhere in the world? Pasta sauces, stir frys, curries.

Mind you there are falafel – I’ll give you that one.

kayak23

They are handy shapes. What should we do? Star shapes? Rhombus?

I experienced a lol… 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For the record my butcher’s sausages don’t seem to contain “veins and other fluids”.

That’s what the last butcher told me too. It was a blindfolded taste test. I’m sure there was something a bit off about one of the sausages though. 😕 Anyway, what’s different about burgers? Hot dogs? Nuggets? Meatloaf? They’re all just ways of presenting convenient packages of tasty protein aren’t they?

hora
    Free Member

xherbivorex cheers- will look at H&B next time I’m in. Whenever I’ve eaten sausages or bacon I literally puff-up. Almost as though I’m allergic to the chemicals that they pump into the meat so for me – pork aint worth it (plus most bacon tastes like shit).

Solo
    Free Member

The world is full of disappoiinting sausages.

Ah, he’s here – previous page.

I was going to ask if you had encountered Hora.
    😉

Cougar

Don’t think Booths has ventured into Burnley yet.

Clitheroe, mate.

I’ve always thought it a bit odd that something artificially shaped into something else is inherently a “meat dish”.

Burgers, sausages etc are a convenient way of packaging protein. A burger, for example, is a flattened disc perfect for sticking on a bun. Why does that have to be dead cow? It can just as easily be vegetable protein rather than animal; or made up from diced vegetables, beans, any manner of things. Insisting that a burger has to be beef or it’s not a ‘real burger’ is somewhat restrictive and short-sighted, don’t you think? And as an omnivore (rather than a carnivore) you can eat all of these things. I don’t recall anyone ever whining that a dab from a chip shop isn’t a real burger.

I don’t get it?

As a random example,

What grot. You all should be ashamed.

Cougar

And, seriously, Tivall hotdogs. Trust me.

As one of the few meat products I can remember eating, the Tivall dogs are near-indistinguishable from their Plumrose counterparts (as confirmed time and again over the years by various meat-eating friends). Probably because hotdogs are heavily processed and largely flavouring and rusk to start with. (-:

slowoldman

I don’t recall anyone ever whining that a dab from a chip shop isn’t a real burger.

A what?

brassneck

My comment re. “veggie dish shapes” is that we seem to have this idea in the UK that veggie stuff is better when shaped into something. What’s wrong with the proper veggie stuff that tends to be served elsewhere in the world? Pasta sauces, stir frys, curries.

The point is that believe it or not we eat all that stuff AS WELL as sausage shaped meat substitute. Sometimes it’s just easier to throw a quorn burger in the oven.

Actually it’s a conspiracy of bakers. They only make rolls suitable for holding standard reformed meat shapes. Maybe we need a veggie standard, I’m voting for dodecahedron.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Decent veggie sausages………’ is closed to new replies.