Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Decent upgrade from Recon?
  • greigb
    Free Member

Afternoon all. I recently posted here looking for advice on travel adjustable forks that I could run on my current HT, then transfer to a FS bike at a later date. Well, after costing that all up I think the better option would be to just buy a full build FS, but I’d still like to upgrade my HT suspension.

Currently running a RS Recon Silver TK27 120mm. It’s not the worst fork ever, it’s just a little crude. Things that are less than ideal:

– No compression damping and it gets a bit divey on steep stuff, need to overpressure it a bit as a result.
    – The above, and seals that aren’t the slickest despite servicing, means a lack of small bump response.
    – Rebound is ok, feels a bit basic, possibly just a simple ported design?
    – Weighty, steel stanchions and steerer do not a light fork make.

To the point: I know a top end Pike or 34 would be a massive improvement, but I don’t have loads of cash to spend on this. Due to lack of experience trying different forks, I’m wondering what model from the big brands do you think would be the minimum to make a notable difference to the perfomance, based on my complaints above? I’m just trying to find that point where the upgrade expense will be worthwhile, on each manufacturers scale of OEM cast iron boat anchor to EWS ready tart fork.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I can only recommend Revelations in 32mm. You should be able to source a good second hand one for £150/£200.
    I recently sold my 140mm one for a Yari but for my needs, the Revs were actually great.

chestrockwell

Yep, Revs would be better, as would performance series Fox. Don’t bother with Sektors, not much of an improvement.

chestrockwell

Oh, and look out for some DT Swiss. Not popular so go for a good price but in my experience better that Revs. Mine were XMM 140’s and were lovely.

greigb
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far folks, good info. I probably should have said, in terms of usage it’s for trail or enduro track use as opposed to XC mileage. Tweed valley, Dunkeld and so on, not as fast as on 160mm bikes but I try! 🙂

joebristol

For what you use it for and on a hardtail then Revelations are one of your choices for best value in all probability. I was using 150mm travel ones for a good while on my FS with no issues. Smashed them rough rock gardens on uplift days and they did ok.

Now got Yaris on my new FS and although they have similar damping they do feel quite a lot better due to the 35 stanchions and heavier crown. Gone through similar rock gardens and they were better. This is on a 145mm rear travel enduro bike though (160mm Yari).

They aren’t light though.

dukeduvet

Surely a Reba at 120mm is a good option for an upgrade.

thelawman

I went for dome 120mm Rebas, probably the last set of straight-steerer ones that CRC had at the time. No regrets, but that said, I’m not using them for any sort of enduro purposes. So maybe not much help, tbh.

greigb
    Free Member

Not sure dukeduvet, never ridden a pair. I note that they’re XC biased on the SRAM website. No doubt better damping than the Recons but I’d be concerned I’d have gone a bit too lightweight with Rebas.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Reba. End of thread really it’s everything you need at 120mm on a budget.
    Yes a pike would be better but more money.

Revelations really will only benefit you for transferring to a new frame as you’ll have more scope for adjustability on the travel, if you can find one however an older dual air revelation you can run at 120 with a spacer would be ideal. At 120mm revs are probably marginally stiffer I’ve had both but not on the same frame to compare, wouldn’t say there was much in it. Otherwise dual air Reba would get my vote personally.

I’m 90kg kitted up and have ridden rebas in a few guises hard down big stuff, I’d have no worries they were too xc.

andy4d

I am another who would say Reba if you are staying at 120mm. I am after a set 2nd hand and very few come up which speaks volumes to me. I know some one said to avoid the sektors but if you wanted 130mm would the RL gold with motion control not be a fair call? Way cheaper than Revs.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get less than 140mm if the view is to use them on a forthcoming FS.

Actually scrap that, I wouldn’t get less than 140mm even on a HT.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I had a set of 32mm revs on a HT, the RTC3 version. Really liked them, at 130mm didn’t notice much flex and I managed to set them up spot on for the riding I did. Can’t seem to get my pikes set up as well yet.

coomber
    Free Member

Sektor golds would be an improvement and cheap as chips

For the price x fusion forks second hand can’t be beaten though

dumbbot
    Free Member

What’s your budget? Even new X fusion sweeps rl2 can be found cheap.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/x-fusion-x-fusion-sweep-rl2–mtb-suspension-fork-275/aid:810648

£240.

martinhutch

Even new X fusion sweeps rl2 can be found cheap.

Bloody hell that’s an absolute bargain for a new fork. And a really good one at that. At least the equal of previous Revelation, perhaps not the latest version, but that’s 450 quid. Can’t see Rebas for much less than 400, and even the RL2 Sweep knocks the spots off that.

Perfect for the OP as well – internal travel adjust anywhere from 160 to 100 depending on what bike he ends up with.

coomber
    Free Member

Dumbbot

You legend. My credit card company thanks you. Ridiculously good deal on those x fusions

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah i’m seriously tempted as well, I don’t think there’s any difference to the 2018 model except black stanchions….not sure why every single fork has to have black stanchions this year, but there you go.

coomber
    Free Member

My bro has these on his bird aeris and I think they’re more fork then I’ll ever need. Perfect. So smooth and stiff

dukeduvet

Those sweeps are a bargain. By the time you buy a second hand Reba or rev, maybe service them you may as well buy the xfusions new. Bit heavier but ideal.

andy4d

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am thinking about getting those X fusion forks. Can anyone tell me a)how easy is it to change travel, YouTube shows the guy using a press to remove the travel pin….i don’t have a press.
    B) how readily available are service parts, I did a quick Google and only saw one place selling there own brand replacement seals/foam rings.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Decent upgrade from Recon?’ is closed to new replies.