Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Decent tyre levers that don't cost the earth?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Afternoon folks.

Got my first flat last night in 5 years. Hooray for tubeless!

Ended up putting a tube in it to get home and have somehow lost my trusty steel Intense Tyre lever that has seen me through over a decade of riding and covered 1000s of miles with me never to come out.

I’m in mourning this morning 🙁

Having looked at replacements £15- £25 is ridiculous.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good tyre lever under a tenner?

Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

Pedros.

fathomer

I use the Pedros ones that are £3 a pair. Never failed me and the oldest must be 3-4 years old.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djflexure

Pedros

joshvegas
    Free Member

these are superb.

Proper hook on them very flat so store away nicely.

simondbarnes

Pedros

Northwind

Pedros are alright. Lezyne powerlever is quite a bit better though. Perfect shaped hook- it’s just as hooky as the Pedros, but thinner so it doesn’t need as much slack in the tyre to operate. Not that big a deal on a slack tyre, but very useful on a tight tyre/rim combo.

Put it this way, I’ve bought sets of the lezynes for my garage and my bags. My Pedros levers now live in the spare toolkit in the car

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Topeak shuttle

I have 3 sets of these, one in garage and other 2 in different bike bags. Cheap as chips and very good IMO.

scotroutes

Pedros.

Great lever and the bright colours makes it hard lose them in the grass/mud/snow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know I’ll be in the minority here but

tire levers

I give the leading edge a quick buff on the bench grinder and they have never let me down on the trail 🙂

Have tl5s at home and tbh other than fitting Michelin comp 16 or batwing wildgrippers to a ex721 I’ve never used them much overkill. Plus they were nothing like 15 quid!

z1ppy

pedros

unsponsored
    Free Member

Got to be pedros. Snapped plenty of park ones in the past.

lunge

Park for me, maybe I don’t use them hard enough given the feedback above. I have had them for 20 years though and see little point in changing them as yet.

psycorp
    Free Member

PEDROS.

I have managed to break a set (I’m hamfisted at times) but like them so much I bought another.

Tracey

Superstar steel core.

akira

Bontrager ones, good cos they’re solid and red so easy to find in a bag.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers guys. A few options there. Lots of love for Pedros so I think I’ll give them a go.

How long is that Leyzne one? Looks a bit too long for my top tube bag maybe?

superstu
    Free Member

I love pedros levers but did snap one last week trying to (unsuccessfully) get a spec storm control onto a stans rim. I’ll keep using them, those schwalbe ones look good though and cheap as chips

thejesmonddingo

These Tough as

hooli

Park ones for me, have several sets in different packs and saddle bags. Never had an issue with any of them.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like the Park tyre levers. Cheap enough and work fine. I have had them bend a bit with some tighter tyres, but they’ve not snapped anyway.

Plus a Simson Tyre Mate (aka Koolstop Bead Jack) for really tough tyres.

ajantom

The ones that came free with MBUK last year are excellent. Enabled me to get WTB tyres onto Stans rims, after I’d broken both my Park levers and one Pedros (the older recycled ones)
    Not much use though – unless they’re a rebrand of an existing brand/design.

*edit* having looked on google images they look very like the new style Pedros levers. So those! £2.99 a pair so knock yourself out!

jonnyrockymountain

Topeak shuttle

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

pedros or lezyne for me. i’ve snapped and/or bent the hook on park in the past.

goss
    Free Member

Pedros, Unior, Lezyne Power Lever XL
    Pedros/Lezyne: In the workshop it’s nice to have for those Stans Crest+Schwalbe combos and everyday bikes with tight rims+tyres
    Unior: it has never let me down

leffeboy

Pedros in my garage, lezyne in my tool bag as there are a little smaller. I asked this same question last year and am very happy with the result

integerspin
    Free Member

Continental plastic levers.
    I think I paid a quid for three of them.

windyg
    Free Member

Park or Pedros, i find the park slightly easier on really tight tyres.

StirlingCrispin

Pedros most of the time, but a VAR-425 lives in my backpack – can get any tyre on any rim.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/tyre-levers/product/review-var-tools-rp42500-tyre-tool-11-44397/

stevious

^^^ The VAR is a winner for stubborn tyres.

Quite large for a seatpack (will still fit in some).

nedrapier

Park are (can be) too fat.

Ice tools steel core were the last pair I bought in a search for the perfect lever that ended about 5 years ago.

shifter
    Free Member

Fat Spanner same as Jesmond for me, one in the garage and one in the pack.

Joe

They all work. 🙂

nedrapier

Well, some don’t, clearly! I’ve found some too fat for tight tires, and had lots of the nylon ones to into uselessness because they’re not strong enough.

The icetoolz ones I have are rebranded catalogue ones. Also available as fwe/Evans and XLC from Halfords.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yeh agreed they don’t all work or I wouldn’t have asked the question lol. Snapped plenty in the past with stubborn combos and that why I bought the steel intense ones.

To be fair my current rim tyre choices aren’t that stubborn.

Can’t believe I lost it the other night, well annoyed with myself about it! If anyone finds a steel intense tyre lever in woods to the north west of Nottinghamshire shout up :’)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Decent tyre levers that don't cost the earth?’ is closed to new replies.