• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • decent things to do in Bath
  • santacruzlover
    Free Member

Off to Bath this weekend and haven’t the foggiest on what to do. Bike is in for repairs and need something to take my mind off it. Any ideas? Cheers.

titusrider
    Free Member

christmas shopping? (is the christmas market on yet?)
    skyline walk
    roman baths
    Thermae spa
    potter up to the cresent
    Look in Cadence bikes at the shiny things 🙂

oh and search this forum, im sure we did this recently

gogg
    Free Member

Sorry I read this as “a bath”, my response was going to be fart, because farts are always funny and a fart in a bath is twice as funny as it blows bubbles.

I’ll get my coat.

santacruzlover
    Free Member

Cool, cheers titusrider, will have a gander. Gogg, there are no words!

40mpg

If you’re heading up towards The Circus have a wander up Bartlett Street and look in Felix Lighting. They’ve got some amazing stuff in there converted into light fittings – sounds weird but its more like a mini museum and they’re very friendly, will chat about all the stuff.

While you’re up that way try the Assenmbly Rooms and fashion museum which is quite interesting (pay entry though). Nice cake in the cafe!

Christmas markets started yesterday I think.

egb81
    Free Member

Thermae spa is rather nice. Works well if you have a lady friend.

The Christmas Market is hell enough to make you want to nuke humanity from space.

Everyone knows the correct answer is to hop on a train to Bristol though.

Gilles

Yes, go to Cadence, demo a Santa Cruz bike by going on top of Lansdown and back.

dudeofdoom

Yep its already carnage in the christmas market 🙁

Philby

Go and see Bath play at the Rec tonight.
    Christmas Market is OK but likely to be heaving at the weekend.
    There’s a nice walk around the outskirts of the city.
    Bath Abbey
    Roman Baths
    Wander round the Royal Crescent, the Circus and admire the Georgian buildings
    American Museum
    Costume and Fashion Museum
    If you get bored catch a train to Bristol.

llama

Shopping trip? poor you. Town is going to be rammed full this weekend. They will literally be busing them in from all over. I suggest you hide in the pub. The raven, salamander, star, or bell are interesting examples.

Cadence is good but not central. John’s Bikes is central but not good.

Spa: Your Mrs will like it. Likely to be busy.

Roman baths museum yes.

Walk around the Circus and Crescent.

If the weather is nice hire bikes and loop around the 2 tunnels + canal. Stop in the George on the way back.

Do not go to Bristol.

rumple
    Free Member

play with yourself?

timraven

Lunch with us at The Raven or call in during the evening and swap tall tales of bicycling with me 😀 though I will be working.

+1 for borrowing a bike off Cadence or John’s, if they’re not all booked out.

Christmas market will be overflowing, loads of museums too if that’s your bag.

T1000
    Free Member

check the 2 for 1 offers on First great western site (unfortunately the Thermae offer is for monday to friday only)

lots of places do the 2 for 1 offer

you need valid tickets to Bath on the day you want to make use of the offers …you can Always buy and collect(from the fast ticket machine in Bath…) a ticket from oldfield park to Bath for £2.10

Jakester
    Free Member

Don’t do it!

Much as I love my adoptive home town, Saturdays are pretty bad at the best of times, but add in the Christmas Market and it becomes pretty hellish.

*Edit* – sorry, that came across as unnecessarily unhelpful.

What I meant is, perhaps avoid the main bit of town near the Pump Rooms because it’ll be awful.

The Holburne (sp?) Museum is always good, the Victora Art Gallery is worth a quick whirl around. Parade Gardens is nice for a sit down if the weather’s good. If you have kids, Victoria Park has a great play area, and Alice Park a good cafe.

If you do want to avoid town there are some lovely walks – the Skyline is great, and over the side of the valley the walk up to Solsbury Hill is is nice and the view stunning.

blurty

1) Hire Bike
    2) Go to Mendips
    3) Go on the lash in Bath Sat eve

Jakester
    Free Member

blurty – Member
    […]
    3) Go on the lash in Bath Sat eve

This too!

mst
    Free Member

I was there yesterday, traffic and parking is horrendous.

rj2dj
    Free Member

Do the Bath Abbey tower tour – best view in the city. £6.

Pigface
    Free Member
    Jakester
    Free Member

mst – Member

It is, not really helped by an incoherent transport policy and the council having selected a contractor to implement part of that policy who promptly went bust, leaving a number of projects unfinished. 😕

Problem is they want to attract tourists, but don’t want them driving into the city, so they put parking prices up and close down/sell off car parks. Unfortunately they don’t really think of the effect that has on locals.

If only they’d man up for an A46/A36 link at Batheaston/Bathford then the whole city would be transformed.

Sorry, rant over.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It s a nice city to to just walk around (although clearly less so when jammed with Christmas shoppers). Find a pub to watch England v Australia in.

Philby

+1 for hiring bikes and doing the Two Tunnels!

eskay

Head towards the top of town for a pint in The Star, get away from the crowds and unwind.

Normally coach loads of Welsh people get bussed in when the Christmas market is on and the centre will be very hectic. The Roman Baths are interesting if you have never been before but it is in the epicentre of the Christmas madness.

If you want to see all of the sights then jump on the tour bus.

Weather is meant to be OK so hiring a bike would be good. Do the two tunnels or zip up the canal path or alternatively head out on the
    Bristol to Bath cycle track and have a pint next to the river in saltford in the Jolly Sailor.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Whatever you do, you have to go in Bens Cookies and buy a box, then sit by the river and stuff your face with cookie loveliness!

CountZero

Jakester – Member
    mst – Member
    It is, not really helped by an incoherent transport policy and the council having selected a contractor to implement part of that policy who promptly went bust, leaving a number of projects unfinished.

Problem is they want to attract tourists, but don’t want them driving into the city, so they put parking prices up and close down/sell off car parks. Unfortunately they don’t really think of the effect that has on locals.

If only they’d man up for an A46/A36 link at Batheaston/Bathford then the whole city would be transformed.

Sorry, rant over.
    Sadly, this is all so very, very true. Stupid bastards in BANES council have announced their latest example of collective madness by selling off the multistory part of Avon Street car park for development, losing 260-odd places in the centre of the city!
    Oh, but people wanting to come in to the city to shop, go to the cinema/theatre/club/pub can car-share, cycle, use public transport…
    🙄
    Try catching a train after 10.30pm, or a bus to anywhere that isn’t Bristol or Chippenham.
    Anyhoo, anywhere around the Abbey is going to be wall-to-wall humanity with the Xmas Market opening, there will be coachloads from Cardiff, Norfolk…
    Which means there are still places to have a wander round as have already been mentioned, along Walcott Street, up along the Paragon, across in front of the Royal Crescent, along Gay Street and the Circus, Bartlett Street, around Victoria Park. Plenty of pubs, the Raven, St James’s Wine Vaults, just off Julian Road not far from the top of Victoria Park, check out Pulteney Bridge and Wier, Sydney Gardens and the museum, walk back into the city along the K&A Canal, then along the river to the Rec and Pulteney Bridge…
    There’s koads to explore or just wander around with a camera in Bath, it’s such a compact city, dead easy to see most of it in a day or two, whereas Bristol is much more spread out.
    Enjoy! 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

Avoid the Xmas market it is truly hell on earth .Crap no one wants sold from garden sheds

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

Go to The Bell on Walcott St. They have live music on Fridays and Sundays I think (or did when I lived there) and always have good beer on.

The Star Inn, I think on the Parragon is also good, as is the Pulteney Arms.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Hide from the shoppers in the star with a nice pint of bass. Or the green tree but it’s tiny

allfankledup

Favourite places to go in Bath used to be Total Fitness ( Saracen st) – Shoon (nice kit) – bike shops on John Street. Total fitness used to stick some decent kit, and the owners appeared to know what they were on about.

But not been there for about 9 years, having moved to the Frozen North, but good memories.

scotroutes

Take up tap dancing.

But try not to fall in.

eskay

orangeboy – Member

Hide from the shoppers in the star with a nice pint of bass

Proper pub, the beer is still served in jugs.

CountZero’s route is a good shout, you will see some great buildings and you will be out of the mayhem.

santacruzlover
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys

santacruzlover
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys

eskay

So, how did the weekend go?

JAG

Strangely I was there as well this weekend.

Weather was great, shops were incredibly busy (as you all said). The Park&Ride queue was 500 yds long and we struggled to get a meal on Saturday night.

Bens Cookies was visited and they are (were 😳 ) delicious!

Watched England beat Australia in Belushis with a Beer. Great fun as the Barman was an Australian 😆

Did the Abbey Tower Tour on Saturday evening – watched the lights come on as the Sun went down over Bath.

Walked down the river this morning – past the weir and the beautiful Georgian architecture.

Then this afternoon we visited the Thermae Spa and enjoyed the sunset from the rooftop pool.

It was a great weekend if a little busy – but don’t let that put you off.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘decent things to do in Bath’ is closed to new replies.