• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Decent small car for under £2k – ideas?
  • skooby39
    Free Member

I’m after any ideas for a decent small car for under £2k. Needs to have 5 doors and under 60k miles. I’m thinking Yaris, Citroen C1 (or Toyota/Peugeot version). Is there anything else worth looking at? Interested in ideas to google for, rather than emails of old bangers!

Ability to tow would also help, so Ford Ka is out.

johndoh
    Free Member

Swift?

Fabia?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

2 Grand

You could buy a half decent bike for that sort of money 😉

br
    Free Member

You’ll get a better car/condition going for something bigger, as everybody wants a little/economical car.

Bucko

What are you going to tow with a C1?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly Yaris is a good choice, 5 doors is very practical and with rear seats down and passenger seat forward you can get bike in with front wheel off no problem !

Secondly, add Polo to the list

falkirk-mark

saxo

porter_jamie

Micra

skooby39
    Free Member

I’m thinking of towing a 2 man dinghy or stuff to the tip. Dinghy would be something like a GP14 that was designed to be towed by a 1950’s Hillman Imp or Morris Minor, so should be fine on any modern car.

althepal

Like others have said you’d get a decent bigger car for thst. Focus?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Our citrone c2 feels likes its shagged and only 62k on the clock had it since new and always looked after
    Now lots of odd electrical issue , rattles etc ,
    Picked up a golf tdi estate 2004 130 tdi £1500 back April time
    It’s done 140k but apart from needing some
    New rear shocks its perfect 50mpg feels so much better than c2 and cheaper tax too

jambalaya
    Free Member

GP14, now your talking 🙂

BTW we have 1.3 Yaris (old shape 2004) if you’re towing I would get that model not the 1L

cbike
    Free Member

I did this recently moving from van to car. Tried all the wee small cars, pandas peugeots etc but they are really too tiny and expensive for their size for a biker/kayaker/tech

Ended up with a 1.4 diesel peugeot 206 SW .30 tax and 70mpg that can carry a boat and a bike or two no bother.

spooky_b329

Ford Fusion. Its a Fiesta estate, basically, what the C Max is to the Focus. Bikes fit nicely.

Harry_the_Spider

Another vote for the Ford Fusion. We’ve got one and it has been faultless.

dannybgoode

Honda Jazz (around an 04 plate), Renault Clio (older shape around 05 plate). Have a look on ebay – some decent cars available.

Autotrader would be the other place – just put in your search criteria and see what comes up.

If you remotely know your way around a car don’t bother with the AA or
    RAC check. They have so many caveats in them they are not worth it. Basically they say that at the time they checked it the car looked ok but if anything goes wrong after that point its nowt to do with the guv.

One other thing to check is the mot history. Ask for the V5 ref no and pop that into the online MOT history checker (Link)

Check the mileage stacks up each test to spot clocking and look for any significant past failures and in particular any advisories on the latest test. If there are advisories ask if they were done or not and factor in the cost of rectifying them if they have been left.

winston_dog
    Free Member

You will find at that price point the smaller models are over inflated as they are wanted as first cars and people also want motoring on a budget.

I would agree with the comments regarding going slightly bigger to get better value.

Although a picked up a low mileage Yaris up from the auctions for about £2k and it has been very good. Plenty of space and low mpg.

I would always suggest taking a punt at the auctions, more risk but some definite bargains to be had.

spooky_b329

P.S Our Fusion likely to be for sale soon…53 plate 1.6 petrol, black, bit its about to hit 110,000 so a tad over your limit. All season snowflake tyres fitted though 🙂

will
    Free Member

Vauxhall Corsa?
    Skoda Fabia?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Decent small car for under £2k – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.