Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Decent Shirts. Wearers of rubber soled shoes need not read or reply.
  • tron
    Free Member

I’m after some shirts for work. I’m after decent quality, either non-iron or decent cotton that’s not impossible to iron. I’m also after something that fits well – my belly is not as big as my collar size would suggest (must be my awesome driving leading to Alonso style neck muscles), and therefore a lot of shirts from the off the shelf “germyn street” firms are like tents – a good 10 inches too big.

Where’s decent? I’ve had M&S made to measure shirts before, but could do without a 3 week lead time. I’ve also had far too many shirts from the likes of Next which appear to be made of the worst cotton imaginable, which a) makes them unironable and b) crease instantly and c) near transparent.

And unfortunately, I’ve not really got the cash to be lashing more than £150 on five shirts. So I’m not expecting New & Lingwood quality, but I don’t want rubbish either…

JB
    Free Member

Thomas Pink are my choice, last for ages, look great and the Slim Fit option is perfect for us skinny dudes!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TM Lewin & Charles Tywright both do fitted/ slim shirts.

I have a 16.5″ neck and a 32″ wasit and they seem to work for me.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m after some shirts for work. I’m after decent quality, either non-iron

Failed at the first hurdle there….

TM Lewin, in their permanent sale. Slim cut, correct collar size and, if necessary, the shorter cut* on the sleeve.

Remember, work shirts don’t last. The cuffs go from rubbing on desks (especially if with double cuffs – awful things, can’t we return to buttoned cuffs?). So, i consider a reasonable cut and low price (£20 a shirt from TML usually) and replace every six months.

*No, I don’t mean like a bus driver.

br
    Free Member

Next are ok, as long as you go for the better ones, not sure on price now. Pink are good, but expensive.

tbh I got a dozen when I was last in Bangkok, pretty much made to measure (my wide shoulders and long arms mean XL but I’m slim also which means L…) – When they are worn out I’ll be ordering more.

Hairychested
    Free Member

TM Lewin here, cheap and fit well.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Decent Shirts? Next?

Agree with Lewins & Pinks, but expensive and 1 slight spill and you are many quids out. Racin Green and Scott & Taylor have been good robust shirts for me and manageable when you spill Vindaloo on them

cynic-al
    Free Member

So, i consider a reasonable cut and low price (£20 a shirt from TML usually) and replace every six months.

WTF? I’m wearing some that have the equivalent of 6 month’s continual use (albeit I change into them at the office) that look fine (to me)!

EDIT: are std TM Lewin shirts long in the arm? I find most too short.

Amos
    Free Member

+1 pink

ourmaninthenorth

I’m wearing some that have the equivalent of 6 month’s continual use (albeit I change into them at the office) that look fine (to me)!

EDIT: are std TM Lewin shirts long in the arm? I find most too short.

Crying baby has lead to sleep deprivation.

I meant 6-12 months. I tend to find the cuffs go really quickly. Must be the way I write.

I’m short (5’7″) with a 16″ collar. I need a 33″ sleeve, which is the Lewins shorter cut.

I’m resolute, however, that I am giving up on double cuffs and cufflinks. they annoy the hell out of me..!

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a couple of nice CK slimfit shirts from House of Fraser for £25 each.

tron
    Free Member

Thomas Pink is a no go – I’m after five shirts for < £150, not one very nice shirt for £150!

Lewins are looking like the prime candidates, assuming their shop has my size in slim fit without double cuffs. Double cuffs do my nut in for day to day life.

Next isn’t going to happen – It’d take a lot to get me to buy another of their shirts after some of the pure rubbish I’ve had from that shop.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Recently moved from TM Lewins to Charles Tyrwitt – utterly brilliant shirts. The fitted ones really do look special and they come with nice brass collar stiffeners.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tron – try the online store?

tron
    Free Member

try the online store?

I could do, but due to my aforementioned odd shape, I’d prefer to try em on first. Suppose I could try in shop and order online…

simon_g

Charles Tyrwhitt here too – they do good slim-fit, non-iron and you get a choice of sleeve lengths and single/double cuff.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/

They sometimes have “4 for £100” type offers, although at the moment everything seems to be £35.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I meant 6-12 months. I tend to find the cuffs go really quickly. Must be the way I write.

You handwriting all your docs?

Riofer
    Free Member

Hewitt and May – had a few from them, pretty good quality and they do a slim fit option. Often have 3 for £90 or 4 for £100 offers on.

ourmaninthenorth

You handwriting all your docs?

Much less than I used to, but I’m a heavy manuscript marker-upper..!

Lewins are looking like the prime candidates, assuming their shop has my size in slim fit without double cuffs.

Buckingham Button Cuff is the one you want. 4 shirts for £100. They’re my choice, too.

mefty
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about Pinks being out of price range because Lewins are better quality in my experience, I bought my first Lewins shirt more than 25 years ago. Had a few Pink’s shirts in the interim and they have never lasted as well.

intode_void
    Free Member

Despite my concerns that I’ve accidentaly stumbled into an Army Officers thread here is my input…www.stephanshirts.co.uk

Don’t be put off by the bespoke price list, the off-the-peg shirts are more than a match for some of the others mentioned here, and as Stephan is Cypriot (just envisage Theo from Dragons Den with a better sense of humour and shirts which fit) he loves the fun of a haggle and the more you get the cheaper it is per shirt.

On a note of caution however these shirts are addictive, I’ve been wearing his shirts for 9yrs now (not the same ones!) and it inevitably ends with you visiting the shop and going for the bespoke option, which is a topic worthy of a whole seperate thread itself!

VanHalen

+1 for bangkok. not helpful but my shirts i got made there are great.

i managed to find a similar cut one (slim body monkey arms) from debenhams but its no where near as nice.

i have monkey arms so shirts are a problem for me too.

skidartist
    Free Member

Must be the way I write.

I doubt its less to do with the way you write more the fact that you write at all. Not many people do that anymore.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve got a few Thos Pink and TM Lewin (Lewin invented the button down shirt don’t you know, and they do 3 sleeve lengths) but Hugo Boss or Ermenegildo Zegna are my personal favourites.

Really nice cloth that irons easily and looks good-as-new after each wash.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

(Lewin invented the button down shirt don’t you know

No one knows for certain the original inventor of the button down.

TooTall
    Free Member

al – Lewins are the only OTP shirt I can get for my simian arms – nobody else does a 38″ sleeve without going bespoke. I do have to get the body tailored in as I’m not that fat, but the sleeves are a bigger issue.

ourmaninthenorth

I doubt its less to do with the way you write more the fact that you write at all. Not many people do that anymore.

True enough. I work for a technology company – it’s the only really paperless working environment I’ve been in.

I stand out for (1) writing (on paper and everything) and (2) using fountain pens.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for Charles Tyrrwit and their returns process is very efficient if you don’t get on with them. IIRC they do have one shop in Jermyn St. Slimlines are really good shape.

I understood that button down shirts were “invented” by by British army officers serving in India. They found that their collars flapped all over the place when playing polo, hence the need for securing them

djglover
    Free Member

The M&S ultimate non iron ones are great. I’ve got some nice shirts too, PINK, Paul Smith etc, but I always weat the M&S ones for work, they simply never need ironing and are 100% cotton – good cotton too

Raymond

The Lewins luxury ones are good – they a thicker fabric and last longer. You can get them as part of the 5 for £100 offer.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

+ 1 for Pink

take a look at your local desgner outlet center ,

the one in york has a Pink store and shirts are from £19 each

Alternatively I wait for jan sales and buy Hugo Boss from Harvey Nics as they discount massively all brands

Am a great believer in waiting for sales and stocking up on quality

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I understood that button down shirts were “invented” by by British army officers serving in India. They found that their collars flapped all over the place when playing polo, hence the need for securing them

Apologies if I’m misinformed, I was told this last weekend at a wedding by a young lady that worked for TM Lewin. A quick look on the website shows he was ‘one of the first’ to make a shirt with buttons all the way up the front.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKT0DX7d_kQ[/video]

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Decent Shirts. Wearers of rubber soled shoes need not read or reply.’ is closed to new replies.