Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Decent road ride with hills close to Manchester? (Rivi routes?)
  • hora
    Free Member

Evening ride, must be close to Manchester (I want to avoid using a car but will if its a short drive).

South Manchester is a no-go of course. Anywhere that I can drive say 20mins each way and route recommendations?

I’ve thought Horwich isn’t that far but I only know of how to ride round San Marino upto the ice cream run on a mtb.

samuri
    Free Member

Ride to Bolton.
    Head up Chorley Old Road. Keep going up. After a quite steep bit you’ll come to a cross roads with a pub on the corner, Bob Smithy’s Inn. Turn right there. Keep going along that road for a while, eventually you’ll drop down to the A675, turn left onto that (you can normally just fly onto it if no cars are coming). That’ll take you past San Amrino and into Belmont. Take a left at the Black dog and climb up over Horden Stoops. Follow that road all the way back down to Rivington, turn left at the bottom to take you into Horwich where you can either climb back over Chorley Old road or take the easier and flatter Chorley New Road back to Bolton.

chakaping
    Free Member

How long you want to be out for?

But there’s a nice road if you ride over from Rivington to Belmont, turn right at bottom, then immediate left.

Keep straight over crossroads for a challenging short climb and road comes out above Egerton – then you could work over Turton/Edgworth way and on to Ramsbottom, ride up the Rake maybe, or head north and across to Darwen.

Or turn left halfway up the Rivington climb and the road undulates nicely along to Brinscall with some steep bits.

binners

I’ve discovered this new fangled thing. Its bloody marvellous. I reckon it may take off. It has clearly marked on it all the roads in any given area. You can see what the landscape’s like by the addition of these clever little things called contours. With a bit of stealth and cunning, you can utilise this unique facility to put together a route. Discovering it has genuinely transformed my life. It could do the same for yours….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Four recommendations:
    1. Strava segment search. The place is overrun with segments, so you can just join ’em up like a dot-to-dot.
    2. Get someone to show you around. Happy to do this most nights except this week (already rides planned Mon & Wed) and next week (the Mega)
    3. Join Rivington MTB facebook group.
    3. Get yourself on the Monday night pub ride tonight!!! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Road rides though, not MTB.

Binners I was going to ride up to then around Rammy and back but I don’t fancy the Bury road drivers..

Suppose I could drive up closer then ride around Rammy etc.

binners

You can get from Prestwich to Rammy without touching the road on Route 6. Its all been tarmacced now, so its fine on a road bike.

Anyway… Bury traffic is fine. Its like a quaint little rural idyll compared to bonkers central Manchester traffic. You’ll be fine. Loads of decent road riding near us. Just head in any direction really. You can’t go wrong. I’d join you, but I ****ing hate riding on the road! Bores me rigid!:D

hora
    Free Member

You can get from Prestwich to Rammy without touching the road on Route 6. Its all been tarmacced now, so its fine on a road bike.

Where?which? Route 6??

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

oops – hadn’t spotted the word “road” in the title. 😳
    Anyway, Shame on you for even thinking about uttering that word!!!

hora
    Free Member

Stares coldly at Ecky-thump as I glide by..

binners

There tha goes

Give us a shout when you’re heading over. You can buy me a pint 😀

dazh

South Manchester a no-go? Head south-east. in 5 miles you can be on the top of Werneth Low, then descend to Compstall and on to Marple Bridge, go up the Col Du Mellor over to New Mills. That’s two decent hills in 10 miles. After that go to Disley, turn left and go over Higher Lane and descend brickworks to Pott Shrigley, then head back to South Manc through Bramhall and Cheadle. That’s 4 hills in about 30 miles, none of them further than 10-15 miles of South Manchester.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Samurai route is a good one – you can also go straight on and turn right at Tockholes and end up in Blackburn then return to and you can vary the stuff round rivvy with some nice figure of 8 stuff to get more hills in. As he notes there is always a longer flatter route if you prefer that

Will drop you an e-mail about that as well – will be tonight though

HindlePie
    Free Member

Head out to Adlington – Pott Shrigley then over the Tops to Kettleshulme – Whaley Bridge then back via the A6.

hora
    Free Member

South Manchester a no-go? Head south-east. in 5 miles you can be on the top of Werneth Low, then descend to Compstall and on to Marple Bridge, go up the Col Du Mellor over to New Mills. That’s two decent hills in 10 miles. After that go to Disley, turn left and go over Higher Lane and descend brickworks to Pott Shrigley, then head back to South Manc through Bramhall and Cheadle. That’s 4 hills in about 30 miles, none of them further than 10-15 miles of South Manchester.

Ooo hello- got any postcodes that I can plug into google maps to get me an idea???

I’d be riding from Chorlton-borders. Do I ride towards Stockport first?

samuri
    Free Member

I think a number of you are making some rash assumptions about Hora’s road miles aspirations.

dazh

Ooo hello- got any postcodes that I can plug into google maps to get me an idea???

I can do better than that 🙂

http://www.strava.com/activities/152422508

Gimme a shout if you need a guide. I’m always up that way (well for the next couple of weeks anyway, before I move house).

chakaping
    Free Member

I think a number of you are making some rash assumptions about Hora’s road miles aspirations

I tried to enquire, but he’s playing his cards close to his chest.

😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Decent road ride with hills close to Manchester? (Rivi routes?)’ is closed to new replies.