Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • decent quick releases?
  • kbsa
    Free Member

Any that actually live up to the name?

I’d like something so that I can take off the front wheel easily and put it back on without messing around to find the right tension…. Does such a thing exist?

Stoner
    Free Member

I can take off the front wheel easily and put it back on without messing around to find the right tension.

you’re doing something wrong.

YoGrant
    Free Member

shimano make the best qr’s….without question.

kbsa
    Free Member

I imagine some people (the majority for all I know!) can spin the them back on to exactly the right tension for the lever to be perfectly tight enough first time, unfortunately I don’t seem to have this ability.

I’d like to be able to just “put the wheel back on”, without it being a bit of a fuss as seems the case with standard QRs….

turneround

get a bolt through

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d like something so that I can take off the front wheel easily and put it back on without messing around to find the right tension…. Does such a thing exist?

Rockshox Maxle.
    Once you’ve had one, you’ll realise how crap QRs really are!
    🙂

kbsa
    Free Member

Maybe I should add that this is for a standard fork 🙂

IHN

Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano Shimano

z1ppy

I believe the answer you might be looking for is shimano
    (from personal experience, not just from IHN’s posting…)

sillyoldman

Shiamno make the best standard ones, but a lot of new bikes come with these:- http://www.clixqr.com the video shows how they’re used. No need to adjust the preload. Don’t know if there is an aftermarket importer (though if I bothered to look, the website probably tells me….. Your LBS probably has one or two knocking around though. If not, let me know and I’ll sort you out for a nominal sum.

kbsa
    Free Member

that ClixQR looks absolutely like what I’m after!

Can you give me an email on singletrack at ethicalbags.co.uk please sillyoldman?

kbsa
    Free Member

I suppose that should say ‘send me an email’…. and errr, it feels a bit odd calling someone who’s helping me out a silly old man!

JonBurns
    Free Member

On a similar theme to OP, I bent a rear skewer on the weekend so looking at replacing it or getting a pair.

There’s such a big difference price wise from a few quid to over £50 for a pair. Is there really that much difference or benefit (currently looking at hopes but not sure if they’re worth it).

kbsa
    Free Member

the hope ones I’ve seen are horrible – it’s much more difficult than a standard Shimano one to get any leverage on the handle. They also seem to be more picky about the tension too.

If you don’t fancy shimano and like the standard kinda style, look for something with a flat end to the lever so you can push it properly.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m building an uberbike, and speccing more expensive dream components than i’ve admitted the cost of to my other half. but when selecting the correct method of keeping the wheels attached the only real answer is shimano steel. got a pair of xt off ebay for £20. can’t argue with that.

sillyoldman

kbsa – YGM.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

JonBurns, did you bend it while riding? If so you might find you need to replace the axle through the wheel too, i did this last summer. If you buy a shimano axle it will come with a free quick release.
    Try sticking the non-bent skewer through the wheel to check.

AdamM
    Free Member

Yep, Shimano (or Mavic) are the best QRs on the market. As theflatboy implies, QRs are not a place to be trying to save weight!

Salsa would be my third best choice, partly because they are more readily available than Shimano often appear to be.

Golden rule for all QRs if you want them to work properly is keep them clean and lubricated.

JonBurns
    Free Member

V8 oh no not something else I need to look at.

I had rear mech meet spoke situation on Saturday, the mech is knackered along with the chain, mech hanger, skewer and a couple gouges to a carbon drop out area….gutted!

james
    Free Member

What about the DT swiss ones where the lever doesn’t move? Are they any more secure than shimanos?
    (though not going to help with not having to adjust the tension in this case

druidh
    Free Member

Shimano. That’s all.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

i have a red salsa flip off excellent condition £12 posted if you want it

eddyesi
    Free Member

Bontrager ones i have now are best i have used, £10 from your LBS

madoldlad
    Free Member

Tried hope….awkward to get tight ….do not like the dirt.

Shimano…….perfect reliable….go for the XT…..I managed to get a set of XTR on ebay for £30 brand new.

My mate has the DT swiss RWS and they are also really good if some what expensive

DT Swiss RWS Link

colnagokid

I like that clix thing, but it just gets over the “idiot tabs” things on yuor forks, just file them off and use shimano.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

either the dt swiss, or the crank brothers 2 stage ones…

push it shut nice and tight like a normal one, then two levers to open it, doesn’t need any/much adjusting ime…

kbsa
    Free Member

I like the idea of filing off the “idiot tabs” 🙂

james-o
    Free Member

Maxle / 15mm thru
    Shimano QR or DT RWS
    Other QRs
    ti spindled QRs

in that order

james
    Free Member

“just file them off and use shimano”

Do you have a deathwish?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘decent quick releases?’ is closed to new replies.