Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Decent pub for lunch near Dartmouth
  • engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

As the title really. My mums birthday is this Saturday and if the weather is nice we are going to run down to Dartmouth. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent pub, good views are more important then the food providing the food is decent enough.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hum, struggling for pubs/restaurants with good views in Dartmouth. The Ferry Inn in Dittisham is OK. Best view in the town is from the Royal Dart Yacht Club on the Kingwear side but its not a restaurant and formally for members only not that anyone would care if you stopped in for a drink. IME the better restaurants are in the side streets away from the water in Dartmouth itself

slugwash
    Free Member

The Anchorstone Cafe next to the Ferry Boat in Dittisham is a better bet

TheGingerOne

Used to love the view from the RDYC when I was a kid – probably would still today as well.

(Not that it helps for food recommendations)

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Ok, well it doesn’t have to be in Dartmouth. Say 40 minute drive of Newton abbot?

qwerty
    Free Member

Start Bay Inn @ Tor Cross. Well pukka.

8.4 miles south west along the coast & well worth it (as long as you want fresh caught fish and chips).

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

For nice views maybe the Cary Arms in Babbacombe or Orestone Manor at Maidencombe?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Another vote here for the Start Bay Inn @ Torcross – excellent Fish and Chips, and not too shabby a view either. 🙂

Si
    Free Member

Hope and Anchor, Hope Cove
    Pilchard Inn, Burgh Island (Just make sure you go in the right door…)
    Millbrook Inn, Millbrook (Salcombe Estuary)
    Ship Inn, Noss Mayo

CountZero

The Cricket Inn, Beesands is a terrific place for food, mostly seafood, but there are other items on the menu.
    The scallops are to die for, brought in from the bay, everything else is local caught.
    Excellent beer, too.
    I’ve stayed there two years running, eaten there every evening for a week, three years running.
    Outstanding.
    Start Bay, from near Start Point, the near village on the left is Hallsands, original village destroyed in a storm in 1912, next is Beesands, then Torcross and Slapton Sands, then Blackpool Sands, and the entrance to Dartmouth is in the distance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP just to be clear I love it there, I used to the regatta every year and hope to be back this year. I was going to suggest Slapton Sands and Salcombe estuary too. If you like a bit of history there is a Sherman tank on Slapton sands to commemorate a large loss of life there, the allies where practicing D-Day landing techniques when a German patrol boat spotted them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Decent pub for lunch near Dartmouth’ is closed to new replies.