Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Decent pub for a couple of pints near Royal Mile Edinburgh
  • Pieface

I’m off to Edinburgh for an overnighter and will be meeting a colleague for a couple of Ales. A decent pub near the Royal Mile (where our hotel is) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

NewRetroTom
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Canons gait, bottom end on the right as you walk downhill. Good ales, decent prices, nothing special but good enough.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Innis & Gunn have one on Lothian Road

Brew Dog have one on Cowgate

The Villager and The Outsider on the The Bridges

The Blue Blazer on Bread Street

Do not go into Deacon Brodies on the RM

gobuchul
    Free Member

Haven’t been there for years.

However, unless things have drastically changed there are loads of good pubs in that part of the City.

Take a walk to the Grassmarket, the White Hart, The Beehive, The Last Drop were all good pubs “back in the day”.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Holyrood 9A, nice place, lots of choice of beer, and delicious burgers to go with it all.

kcal

Bow Bar by default would get my vote (and has got my custom in the past for many years!), on Victoria Street.

Likes of the Jolly Judge are not bad either, near top of the Royal Mile. Not sure about beer selection mind you.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Take a walk to the Grassmarket, the White Hart, The Beehive, The Last Drop were all good pubs “back in the day”.

Not sure when “back in the day” was but they’ve been arse bleedingly expensive for a long time now.

scotroutes

Bow Bar +1

gobuchul
    Free Member

Not sure when “back in the day” was

About 20 – 25 years ago. I guess the prices may of changed a bit now…..

kcal

about 25 years ago was when – probably – I was last in these establishments (and the Black Bull, don’t forget the one at the end..). Are they still going then? blimey!

Good times mind, can just about recall many happy after-work drinks there or thereabouts..

13thfloormonk

I was pleasantly surprised by the Ensign Ewart right near the top of the mile. Considering how close it was to the castle it felt surprisingly like a quiet wee local and served a decent enough pint of Deuchars if I remember.

Devil’s Advocate is quite cool, fairly new pub halfway down Advocate’s close, nice interior although verging a tiny bit towards ‘hipster’ if that’s not your sort of thing.

Whistle Binkies if you want sticky floors and some good loud amateur live music 8)

DougD

The halfway house usually has some good ales on tap

fasthaggis

Plus1fir Devil’s Advocate.
    In there a few weeks ago,good food and not too hipster.

tomd
    Free Member

The Royal Oak. Refreshingly old school.

squirrelking
    Free Member

About 20 – 25 years ago. I guess the prices may of changed a bit now…..

Aye, even 8 years ago it was ridiculous (last time I was down there as a captive audience member, Red Bull Race)

onehundredthidiot

Always enjoyed a pint in the Guildford arms. Best avoided on a Saturday pre footie the clientele can be excitable.

Stu_N

Bow Bar, Brewdog on Cowgate, OX184 get my vote. Southern and Blackfriars bar a little further towards Holyrood too.

peter1979
    Free Member

The Bank, on the Royal Mile. Good whisky selection.

jimjam
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the Bow bar for it’s beer selection, and the staff were very good. Quite, which is good if you want to talk instead of shout over music.

gordimhor

Sandy Bells for me Forrest Road Good beer and music if your lucky

jimjam
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant quiet.

Kunstler

These are all far too civilised choices. But it’s a start. You may find yourself in Banshees Labrynth at 3am wondering what the hell happened.

ml
    Free Member

The Jolly Judge, near the top of the Royal Mile. Nice little pub, decent beer, highly possible that the fire will be on. Enjoy!

tiggs121
    Free Member

Bannermans – decent beer and music if you want that.

Lots of the other mentioned are good too.

Bow Bar would be my choice however.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Decent pub for a couple of pints near Royal Mile Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.