Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Decent places to eat within 1hr of Penrith please?
  • aP
    Free Member

Looking to book lunch in about 6 weeks time when up at the MiL, have looked at l’enclume but they don’t appear to be able to offer an option of lacto-ovo vegetarian food so that’s out, which seems silly as organic catered perfectly when I ate there in November. Is it possible for such a person to eat out in the north as most of the places I’ve looked at seem to only pay lip service to none meat and fish eaters.
    Oh, spinach and ricotta tartlets will be thrown at the chef if proffered.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Try here

labsey
    Free Member

http://www.bw-glenriddinghotel.co.uk/dining/ratcherstavern/

Not been for a while but food has always been nice.

geoffj

geoffj

Wilf’s is a good call, bit of a ball-ache to get to from Penrith though, although the Grasmere one would be a nice drive.
    I’m not sure they take reservations for lunch though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

About 20 minutes, excellent food, picturesque location

Home

Dales_rider
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

Wilf’s is a good call, bit of a ball-ache to get to from Penrith though, although the Grasmere one would be a nice drive.
    I’m not sure they take reservations for lunch though.

25 miles 40 minutes and a brewery next door, also a bike shop to visit afterwards I challenge anyone to find better 😀

Swelper
    Free Member

Fellinis Ambleside

And my favourite place to eat in the Lakes is… The Jumble Room

The Jumble Room Grasmere

aP
    Free Member

Thanks swelper – two interesting looking places.
    Have been to wilf’s – ‘s’ok, went there in October. Not really worth driving for an hour to get there tbh – we went on the way back from Sizergh Castle and after a quick trip round Wheelbase.

grum
    Free Member

There’s a vegetarian restaurant just on the edge of Grasmere too, towards Easdale. Not sure what its like but the setting is lovely.

Home

matthew_h
    Free Member

How about he Lakeland Pedlar in Keswick?

http://www.lakelandpedlar.co.uk/

Dales_rider
    Free Member

aP – Member

Thanks swelper – two interesting looking places.
    Have been to wilf’s – ‘s’ok, went there in October. Not really worth driving for an hour to get there tbh – we went on the way back from Sizergh Castle and after a quick trip round Wheelbase.

Sorry thought you wanted a Non Flesh Place, why not try somewhere in Penrith.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

The Orange Tree – Kirkby Lonsdale.. Might be a touch out the way, but nice food !!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Westmorland services

grum
    Free Member

Orange Tree does nice steaks and burgers but for veggie food? Not sure I’d travel that far to go there tbh.

TomB

Quince and medlar, cockermouth. Flash veggie restaurant, well thought of locally.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks all. Gives me some options to think about.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

BTW Appleby has a top notch veggie Hotel. cant remember the name as I use the meatie Tufton Arms which is very much a shooting and tooting spot.

clareymorris

Couple of good pubs around…..
    George and Dragon in Clifton
    Cross Keys in Penrith
    Not veggie as such but might be worth ringing and asking if they can cater for your need.

Quince and Medlar in Cockermouth a fab veggie restaurant

deepreddave
    Free Member

There are no veggie options in Penrith – best in town options would probably be one of the indian restaurants (we have 5!) The options above are all good (my organic veggie partner recommends lancrigg and Wilfs but both are a bit of a trek), Fellinis has the option of a film too of course.
    Costas in Penrith is a nice feel Spanish restaurant but the veggie options are often quite poor so may be worth a call and checking as otherwise it’s the best place to eat in town (don’t think they are organic at all mind so maybe not a option after all).

aP
    Free Member

Thanks – as the MiL and SiL live in/ near Penrith I’ve eaten out there a bit. I was looking for something a bit more interesting (and have got a few interesting places to look at thank all).
    It just seems a shame that there’s such a dearth of restaurants that cater for more than just meat’n’veg.
    In the last year I’ve eaten at some quite reasonable places and they all offer carefully thought out options for those with a non meat and/or fish interest.

roganic (long, long lunch – 10 courses) and they have both meat based and vegetarian equal options, so there’s no feeling left out, in fact some of the vege courses would have been preferable to those I had from the meaty side
    Benares – very pleasant, but slightly disappointing in that it is Indian food for elderly white people
    Nopi – share and share again – equal billing given to vegetarian, fish and meat, actually that’s wrong – the vegetarian was considerably more in evidence than the others

Obviously lots of places still don’t see the opportunities in catering for those with different preferences than meat’n’veg and it seems such a shame that the token vegetarian option of spinach and ricotta (insert vehicle of choice – tart/ pasta/ some other bland product) is still rolled out as being acceptable.

Pridds

Those 3 places are all in London. You’re asking about Penrith and are surprised that there is nothing equivalent. Really? The options given are all good and I’d try any of them before you decide the North is a barren wasteland of rubbish, meat based cuisine.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

After consultation with friend who lives in Penrith the veggie hotel in Appleby is The Appleby Manor

aP
    Free Member

Yes, I realise that those restaurants are in London, that’s why I put within 1 hour of Penrith.
    I would go to l’Enclume but they won’t admit to catering for vegetarians, whilst roganic their London pop-up does.
    My parents live in mid Wales, and within 1 hour I can find good restaurants that understand that there’s more to cooking than meat’n’veg.

hydrophil
    Free Member

Try these

The Village Bakery, Melmerby – award winning Veggie Cuisine and next to the ride up Hartside!

The Queens Head, Tirril (S of Penrith) great food and a brewery to boot!

bren2709

+1 The Queens Head good food and top brew

mildred

Gianni’s used to be very nice, though its some years since I lived up that neck of the woods.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks for those, will look into them – Appleby Manor sounds interesting.
    Next question – Cross Fell or High Street on cx bikes… Early April – which will be wetter?

hydrophil
    Free Member

Cross Fell is a bog most of the year from what I remember
    High Street usually pretty rideable though a slog to get up there

grum
    Free Member

Cross Fell High Street is a bog most of the year from what I remember

FTFY 🙂

bokonon
    Free Member

The Stanwix Tandoori in Carlisle.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

aP – Member

Thanks for those, will look into them – Appleby Manor sounds interesting.
    Next question – Cross Fell or High Street on cx bikes… Early April – which will be wetter?

High Street would be a nice walk with a bike, unless it freezes it wont be ride-able.
    Great Dun Fell its tarmac to the top and the longest single climb in the UK, possibly the only true Cat1

LenHankie
    johnellison
    Free Member

Tebay Services, M6 Northbound.

mt
    Free Member

Hartside Cafe

bren2709

The Stanwix Tandoori in Carlisle.

Your havin a laugh worst one in town.
    Shaha on Tate street.

Go see Kenny @ Fantails in Wetheral.

bokonon
    Free Member

Your havin a laugh worst one in town.
    Shaha on Tate street.

It’s the first curry place inside England on your way home south from a trip to Scotland.

bren2709

Might be the first, but ain’t the best!
    Any local will tell you that.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks fellas, although some of the lacto-ovo vegetarian options are a bit limited.
    Looks like it’ll probably be the Appleby Manor.

hydrophil
    Free Member

Yep got my typing mixed up there- high St is a bog!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Decent places to eat within 1hr of Penrith please?’ is closed to new replies.