• This topic has 39 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Decent places to eat in and around Huddersfield?
  • hora
    Free Member

For an evening meal. Doesn’t have to be extravagant but needs to be good food/vibe and if possible any beers?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

New Inn at Sowood. ‘Just’ a pub but flippin brilliant place. Great food, think they normally have a few guest ales on tap but always have Landlord and I think Black Sheep on.

woody2000

If your actually in Huddersfield centre, then a couple of jars at The Head Of Steam and/or The Grove Inn will see you right on the beer front. Food wise, I like Gringo’s under the arches which is 2 mins from the train station:

Sample Page

robdob
    Free Member

Rose and Crown, Slaithwaite (good location if you are coming from Manchester way Hora). Bit tricky to find and you have to drive up one the steepest hills in the Holme Valley to get to it from Manchester Road but well worth it.

Looks like a normal pub but the food, which is mainyl traditional British stuff, is first class. Puddings are very nice and all seem homemade. very good service too.

I don’t drink much so can’t comment on the beer but its a proper locals pub too with what looks like a good selection of decent stuff.

I can’t wait to go back again, my first choice in Huddersfield for proper food.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190748-d1450597-Reviews-Rose_Crown-Huddersfield_West_Yorkshire_England.html

wonderchump
    Free Member

Heading out of Huddersfield on Halifax Road there’s a great Indian Restaurant called Tamannas. The food is excellent rather than being curry-in-a-hurry it quite a nice place to chill out – Decent enough bar but not in the same league as the beers on offer at The Head of Steam in town.

http://www.tamannas.com/

ElShalimo

The New Inn at Sowood does great pub grub. Currently has Landlord, Black Sheep & Ossett Blonde ales, all well kept. The Dog & Partridge further along the lane is a really nice boozer (albeit one stuck in the 1970s).

MedOne on Westgate is good (Lebanese cuisine)
    I was in the Scape House Inn a few weeks ago after a spin on the CX bike and had a fab homemade pie & chips with a couple of nice pints.
    The Golcar Lily always does really good food and decent ales too. Ditto the Sands House on Blackmoorfoot Rd
    The Meson Le Papa tapas place is pretty good but not as good as the reviews would suggest.

tomhoward

Gringo’s gave me the shits, only been once.

Chilli lounge is a really good curry, plus has the added bonus of being within stumbling distance of the head of steam.

Also heard that Argento’s (steak) is good, but not been.

Temujin (sp?) in Milnsbridge is ace to, (mongolian, stirfry stuff) lots of exotic meats, plenty of theatre on account of the jet engines they use to cook the food!

hora
    Free Member

We’ve had Sunday roast at the New Inn a few times. Thing is, theres nowhere to sit for boozers? Its all set out for restaurant/eating apart from the bar stools and by the fire??

Rose and Crown, Slaithwaite – Noted

Gringos?!!!! Its Student food?!!!

The Head of Steam used to be good for food. It went down hill a couple of years ago IMO.

robdob
    Free Member

Chili lounge IS great curry, I’ll second that.

ElShalimo

+1 Tamannas

hora
    Free Member

Oh hello….. good reviews on Tripadvisor too

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Odd that – I live 10 min wander down the hill to the Chili Lounge on Huddersfield Rd in Halifax and its ok, not great.

Agree about the New Inn not being massively good for someone who wants to sit and drink (there is the area near the TV at the end of the bar) but I expect local drinks only trade is quite small up there. Food is good though – fish & chips especially… I’ve no idea where they get their fish from but they’re MASSIVE!

Other places… Spring Rock Inn on the edge of Norland Moor? Theres somewhere in Lindley whose name escapes me which is meant to be really good grub. Its on the row of shops on the main shopping street.

If the Head of Steam did great good they’d be onto a winner – one of my favourite pubs for just having a drink in…

ElShalimo

Bar Maroc is another worthwhile but random place. It’s a faux-Moroccan tea room that has 4 real ales and does really good pizzas and crepes. It’s usually full of students ‘cos it’s cheap and the pizzas are very good. It’s above bar 112 so you can pop over to the Grove after your pizza for some more beers

hora
    Free Member

Agree DBW. Staff are great in Head of Steam too.

LHS
    Free Member

Pub or Indian. Abundant choice.

Pook

When are you moving to Huddersfield horbags?

grum
    Free Member

*bookmarks thread*

Not relevant to the thread but I went in a really nice pub in Burnley the other day.

http://www.thebridgebierhuis.co.uk

Ales from £2 a pint!

hora
    Free Member

Moving to Hudds? What so you can have me closer to Wharncliffe/Greno/Crookes? 😉

Pook

Nope. To save you fuel

hora
    Free Member

Can’t do. Bregante and harrythespider says its rougher than Manchester. I can’t take the risk of being gunned down Grand Theft Auto-style.

woody2000

Beers < £2 a pint in one of my locals 🙂

Sam Smiths @ The Colliers, Elland. It’s about £1.80 a pint

https://plus.google.com/106550010339268792306/about?gl=uk&hl=en

spawnofyorkshire

Theres somewhere in Lindley whose name escapes me which is meant to be really good grub

Eric’s in Lindley

Really good food, not really a sit around drinking place though

Med-One +1
    Gringos (If you’re drunk or with a big group, not for a meal with the Mrs)
    Argentos is now Botafogo Brazilian Grill http://www.botafogo.co.uk/ – not been myself but mates have and rate it
    Again Bar Maroc gets talked up by friends
    Tratoria Dominica – http://www.trattoriadomenico.co.uk/ – there’s always birthdays going on but the food is very good. The anti-pasto starter platter can feed four easily and is excellent. Great Pizza’s and the Veal is also good (Rose Veal)

Pook

For a Citroen c1?! Ha!

hora
    Free Member

For a Citroen c1?! Ha!

They seem me rolling, I seem em bitch’in in their punk-ass hire cars 😆

rickt
    Free Member

How about Da Sandro’s ? http://www.dasandro.co.uk/

j5kol
    Free Member

Discovery Bay is ridiculously good, featured on Gordon Ramseys programme a few years back and the owner has been schooled by Gary Rhodes and a host of other well known chefs. Caribbean food with a great atmosphere

http://www.discoverybayuk.com/

spawnofyorkshire

@Rickt – Da Sandro’s isn’t bad at all, but from experience i’d go for Trattoria Domenico every time

Scapegoat

A town centre alternative to the Head of Steam would be the Sportsman. Great range of beers, take your cardigan and beard with you. Then, as others have said, the Chilli Lounge for a Curry.

If you want a couple of different experiences, try the Sair Inn at Linthwaite. It’s up a steep hill off Manchester Road called Hoyle Ing. It’s a microbrewery in a parallel universe. Then, fall down the hill to the Saffron Restaurant on Manchester Road. I can honestly say it’s my favourite quality curry with great service, and all in for £10.95.

The Scape House at Scapegoat Hill is undergoing a bit of a renaissance. It’s now owned and run by the same guy who has the Rose and Crown at Cop Hill as mentioned above. Food is quality honest fare mostly sourced from Haigh’s award winning farm shop at Bolster Moor. Oh, and It’s my local…….

Further out along Manchester Road is the Olive Branch. You’re talking £25+ for a main course, but worth every penny for a special occasion.

woody2000

Went past the Scape House on our Monday night ride this week, looked nice. Might have to give that a go sometime. Sair sounds interesting, might have to fit that into a ride somehow 🙂

rickt
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire – I have never tried Trattoria Domenico, saying that not been to Da Sandros for around a year

spawnofyorkshire

@Rickt – it’s worth a visit for the food

@scapegoat – think i might have a crack at scape house. It’s not that far from me. Do they do a sunday lunch?

ElShalimo

Scape House Sunday Roast near bottom of page …
    http://media.wix.com/ugd//b2d80f_1973eaac2a87f2150d3e818eaf0f9b9a.pdf

TPTcruiser

The Sair! Was it Enoch’s Hammer that was vying for world’s strongest beer a while back.

Saccades
    Free Member

Spinners arms (‘spesh on a wednesday night).

Rat & Ratchett does ace stuff on a tuesday (and if your not happy pop into Al Fizal next door).

Scapegoat

@woody. The Sair is run by “Mad” Ron Crabtree. He was put on this earth only to brew beer, which he does rather well. Last time I was in there was a pile of crisp boxes on the left of the bar which had been made into a sort of high-rise cat hotel. We sat in one of the many little rooms, all of which have their own log fire. The whole experience is barking to be fair. When my twins were born I took my work team there to wet the babies’ heads. Ten of them and a couple of close friends bought me a pint each, and I made the mistake of drinking “Leadboiler” which is over 5%.

@spawnofyorkshire It’s blown hot and cold for years since little Kenny left it about 23 years ago. He kept the best pint of Landlord this side of the Shoulder in Lockwood, but was a miserable little bugger! The latest incarnation is the best yet, and the meats are meant to be top notch. I reckon Sunday lunch would be a winner.

@Hora There’s another option, The Shoulder of Mutton, Lockwood for a really good pint, then to Grappolos on Bridge Street, which is loved by some but adjudged mediocre by others.

Scapegoat

So, we need to set a date for a Colne Valley MTB pub ride.

hora
    Free Member

Ay up.I’m in.

hora
    Free Member

+3 Tamannas

ElShalimo

Hope you liked it, we’re going on Weds

hora
    Free Member

I will leave you with a nice thought. Tomorrow my trail poo will BURN 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Decent places to eat in and around Huddersfield?’ is closed to new replies.