Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Decent minipumps?
  • conorfff
    Free Member

Is it essential to have one? especially on long rides?
    just wanna know your oppinion. was thinking of investing in one

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Essential?
    No you just might not be able to blow up a flat.
    CO2 is an alternative but can get expensive.

How mini do you want? The Lezyne hand pumps are good, I prefer the Topeak Mountain Morph, bigger but good for pumping up tyres

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve got the specialized air tool. Would recommend it.

Is it essential? Depends on how willing you’re willing to walk with a flat or if you’re hoping someone with a pump will come past.

For the cost and size is said it’s worthwhile. Pump plus a couple of inner tubes and some tyre levers take up no space in your bag and you won’t be cadging of someone if you get a puncture 🙂

*edit for typo

conorfff
    Free Member

I suppose its the risk you take?
    I’ve never had a puncture, but I
    Suppose it will happen.
    A lezyne mini drive? I dont want tiny,
    but dont want a massive one lol! 😯

back2basics
    Free Member

pumps eh… you always love the look and style and weight of the small ones – then curse them when you try and get your roady up to 100psi…

i like the look of the ones that are mini track pumps , larger than normal pumps but when commuting into work for a meeting and BANG…..

EDIT: lezyne FTW!

Jamie
    Free Member

As per Dez’s post, but make sure you get a medium and not a small.

Lezyne do both HP and HV pumps, so get the one that goes with the tyres it’s going to be used with.

pumps eh… you always love the look and style and weight of the small ones – then curse them when you try and get your roady up to 100psi…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One of the Topeak ‘Morph’ pumps. Like mini track pumps, very easy to get high pressures. I’ve got both Mountain Morph and Mini Morph, and I wouldn’t bother with any other pump now.

DezB
    Free Member

But Peter, they ain’t as perty as the Lezyne one 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Got a Topeak Master Blaster. Good little thing. Have used it many times and can get good pessure quite quickly in big volume tyres.

jamiep
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist?
    Mini pump with gauge…..

FOG

They do, I had a Crank Bros one but it was like all CB products very temporary!

z1ppy

Topeak mtn morph (or a generic copy) for me, a pressure gauge is unnecessary on a mini pump (more to break). I’d suggest also carrying a puncture kit, a set of tyre levers (if not included in the puncture kit), a multitool with chain tool & a quick link (chain link connector).
    Also the knowledge how to use them all… will save a big walk home one day.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have the Crank Brothers one with gauge. When it works it works very well. The missus has a Lezyne that I sneakily “borrow” on road rides.

If I went on a trip abroad then Mountain Morph all the way!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have a mountain morph and a Lezyne Pressure Drive. Only ever carry the Lezyne. The Mountain Morph just isn’t a mini pump.

Northwind

If you’re carrying a pack then generally you might as well carry a proper pump not a stupid wee roadie’s mini pump- the difference in size and weight isn’t really much but the difference in function is enormous.

I always recommend the Evolution, which you can buy as M:Parts, Truflo, and some others… It’s basically just like a Mountain Morph, except cheaper and more durable (ie, the foot doesn’t fall off all the blimmin time). Once you’ve used one of these folding pumps with a hose, you need a good reason to go back.

Lezyne as ever are very pretty, and very well made, and not very well thought out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But Peter, they ain’t as perty as the Lezyne one

True. But they work. 🙂
    I have a very pretty Lezyne track pump. It’s shit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Mountain Morph just isn’t a mini pump.

No, it’s not really. But the Mini Morph is!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Lezyne as ever are very pretty, and very well made, and not very well thought out.

go on…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, the thing with pumps (Portable ones) is that you have 2 choices

1) Buy a pump that pumps up the tyre to the correct pressure easily so you can carry on riding as you were

or

2) Buy a pump that might get some air in the tyre, or might rip the valve off, and may then enable you to limp slowly home because you’ve ruined your wrists and pulled muscles in your arms getting as much as 20psi in your tyre.

There’s plenty of pumps that will do 1) but probably more pumps that will do 2) and the latter tend to be very small and very petty. But ultimately useless.
    😀

Northwind

lemonysam – Member

go on…

Screw on valves get an 🙄 at best so there is no smileyface appropriate for screw on valves that unscrew your valve cores

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

+1 for Topeak pumps, eg Mountain Morph
    quick, efficient and dependable
    Quality kit.

lemonysam
    Free Member

there is no smileyface appropriate for screw on valves that unscrew your valve cores

Gosh, I’m amazed I never noticed that happening.

Northwind

Well if it’s never happened to you I’m sure that must mean it has never happened to anyone else 😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well if it’s never happened to you I’m sure that must mean it has never happened to anyone else

Or maybe that they fixed the issue years ago and you need to get with the times daddio.

PePPeR

The Topeak Mountain Morph isn’t without its issues too, I find the clips that hold the foot on have disappeared and i now have to use elastic bands to keep it altogether, the ergonomics of the handle aren’t quite there either as you have to be careful with knuckle placement when using the pump.

All in all though it’s the best pump I’ve ever used and it’s the first pump everyone who rides with me asks to borrow when they puncture…

Jamie
    Free Member

Or maybe that they fixed the issue years ago and you need to get with the times daddio.

Didn’t they fix it with the new ABS hose, with the pressure release do-dah on it?

z1ppy
    lemonysam
    Free Member

The Topeak Mountain Morph isn’t without its issues too,

Plus the end of the connector periodically unscrews itself and drops off and it’s fiddly as to switch from schrader to presta wearing gloves and if you drop the pokey bit you’ll never find it again.

It’s a great pump in many ways but in others it’s “not very well thought out.”

Northwind

Nah, they’ve not fixed it- you can upgrade to the ABS which does fix it but adds another thing to fanny about with, and makes the pump bulkier and heavier, and even more expensive.

Or, you could buy 2 of the Truflos for the same price, which work better (better chuck, and they push more air, weigh less and take up less space). But they’re not shiny

DezB
    Free Member

I like both my Lezyne mini pump and track pump. Yeah screwing the tube thing onto the valve is a bit more fiddly than pushing one of those so-called smart valve things on – but it WORKS!
    (And its perty)

lemonysam
    Free Member

you can upgrade to the ABS

it comes with the pumps mentioned above

but adds another thing to fanny about with

That’s a very low standard for fannying.

and makes the pump bulkier and heavier

Really?

Or, you could buy 2 of the Truflos for the same price

From?

weigh less and take up less space

No they don’t

chiefgrooveguru

Lezyne Alloy Drive Medium. The only fault I can find with mine is that it doesn’t work well with removable core presta valves – but it’s such a good little pump that I stopped using them rather than change pump. It has the volume and efficiency to get a big tyre up to the correct pressure without any trouble at all. Almost makes punctures pleasurable…

The same pump in a Small is quite a lot shorter and thus less effective – but barely lighter.

Northwind

lemonysam – Member

it comes with the pumps mentioned above

No, they still sell the micro drives without it. Yes it is heavier and bulkier than the same pump without the ABS. And yes it is heavier and bulkier than the evolution pump (I’ve owned both, the Lezyne is wider and stows less well). And yes it is more faff than “attach and flip lever”. Where from? Just about everywhere, they’re distributed by Raleigh. I got my last one from my LBS for £15, Ribble has them for £12 though.

Anything else?

lemonysam
    Free Member

edit: actually, stuff it, I’m not bored enough for that.

cookeaa

having a pump (mini or otherwise) is certainly an essential, a £5 pump will do the job of inflating a tyre enough to get you home, you might not get 8 bar out of one but 3 will do the job and beats walking…

Co2 carts are great until you’ve spanked the whole contents on one unlucky ride, I see them as a supplementary thing, whatever else you might carry always have at least one spare tube and a pump (patches are also recommended IMO)…

As a minor Hijack, can anyone recommend a good frame fit type pump (Presta only)? I need something for my commuter and I fancy just having it permanently attached to the top or seat tube to prevent it being forgotten, might as well go with a decent sized / capacity frame pump as there’s plenty of space for one…

avdave2

I use Genuine Innovations Mountain Pipe. It’s a combined CO2 inflator and a mini pump. The pump isn’t brilliant but I’d have to be on my second (or third for longer rides) puncture before I needed it. I can get away with running 20 PSI so the pump doesn’t need to be great for me.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Decent minipumps?’ is closed to new replies.