Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Decent lock for London town, advice appreciated
  • redstripe
    Free Member

I know if someone is that determined they’ll nick your bike anyway, but any recommendations for an okay bike lock as a late Xmas pressie to buy for student son who lives in central London. He hasn’t taken his best bike, just a ratty looking old Charge fixie but it would still be a pain and inconvenient to have it nicked so some kind of deterrent might help. Been looking at various D-locks, some with cables, there’s so many it’s hard to know what’s the best compromise in terms of security, price and lugging about. Any advice appreciated, cheers

kilo
    abductee
    Free Member

This
    http://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp

and this looks like the oxford listed on art as 4*
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220739322249

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m an Abu’s Granite fan and had mine since being a student 20 years ago.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks for leads

huws
    Free Member

The LFGSS recommended way is a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini and a Kriptonite Evo Mini locked up like This.

Should put off all but the most determined thief, or at least make them look elsewhere.

Link edited. Should work now.

brakes
    Free Member

I have an Abus U-mini red for London duties:
    – good points: strong and tough (I hope), small so hard to get tools inside, small so very carriable, not overly expensive, good for a fixie as you don’t need to lock the wheels
    – bad points: heavy – you know you’ve got it in your bag, small – it will only fit round your frame and a proper stand (you’ll struggle to get it round a lamp post)

benp1

Abus x plus granit 54 (I think that’s the name anyway)

Used I then I was commuting into town, cable extension is handy for the front wheel

Consistently won tests when I’m was researching, but that was a few years ago

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Decent lock for London town, advice appreciated’ is closed to new replies.