Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Decent local trails around Bath/Bristol?
  • argee

With the change in the weather, i’m looking at finding some more routes around Bath that are a bit more weatherproof, i don’t tend to enjoy trails that a) get too muddy, and b) get torn up easily, i’d rather stay off them until they either freeze over or they dry out a bit. So in that, i’m looking for any locals, or people in the know that can point me to some better routes for winter, i guess the likes of Leigh Woods/Ashton Court will be good for this, but would be quite packed?

Any other stuff around?

nickjb
    Free Member

Most of the natural stuff gets muddy or slippery. I tend to stick to LW & AC for local stuff or head a bit further afield to South Wales or the Quantocks. AC & LW aren’t at all busy when its colder/wetter/darker out.

argee

Same here, i tend to head towards FoD or South Wales, but it’s a bit expensive on fuel to do it weekly, so might just stick to Bath and Bristol, maybe do other bridleway stuff up around the plain as well.

awh
    Free Member

Tried Longleat/Shearwater? Enough there that it’s possible to keep out of the really bad mud.

argee

Not been there, i was interested in the longleat thing that the black canon collective were doing, but not heard much after the issue of being able to ride there, has it been sorted, what routes are there for bikes?

awh
    Free Member

Have a look in, Buckler’s wood, the woods to the East of Centre Parks. There’s a bridleway through the middle and keep your eyes peeled. Don’t know if it’s the work of the Black Canon Collective.

MrAgreeable

The trails around Lansdown are about as close to all-weather as the stuff round Bath gets. There’s a route up on Bikely from one of the MBUK guys that includes most of the good stuff.

nicksee
    Free Member

Plenty of trails in the longleat forest without going near the black canon’s allotment. As has already been mentioned, bucklers/cannimore woods on the warminster side of centre parks is full of singletrack. Most of it holds up well in wet but plenty of roots to keep things interesting 🙂 There are More trails to be found on the shearwater side of centre parks as well if a bit more well hidden.

argee

Cheers for the map, i knew there was stuff up there, but no map, and weirdly when i searched bikely it didn’t come up, infact it still doesn’t when i search the map, it’s all road stuff that comes up.

I also need to get down to Warminster for the day i guess to have a search, not too bothered about mud or roots, it’s more about ripping the place up, if they hold up well then it sounds good, as i do prefer woods stuff to open landscape.

nicksee
    Free Member

not a fan of ripping up the trails either, i do try to avoid the place after long periods of heavy rain but you could say that about most natural trails. Longleat woods certainly gets much lower traffic on the trails than around bath/bristol which does help them stay relatively fresh

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Decent local trails around Bath/Bristol?’ is closed to new replies.