Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Decent hotels / pubs with good rooms in the lakes
  • zokes
    Free Member

MrsZ and I will be back in the UK in July, and as two things we both miss lots are the Lake District and a good English pub with a great choice of ales, we wanted to spend a couple of nights staying somewhere either in, or somewhere within stumbling distance of said ales 🙂

We both know the lakes very well, but have never actually stayed anywhere more upmarket than a caravan or tent there. Pretty ambivalent about location (within reason) as we’ll just do some short walks from wherever we end up. Somewhere tucked out of the way rather than Ambleside / Keswick / Windermere would be nice.

tthew

Tower Bank Arms in Far Sawrey, (between the Windamere ferry and Hawkshead) is nice. Very traditional, good food, good range of beer and next to Beartix Potters house if you are that way inclined.

djglover
    Free Member

Still has to be the drunken duck for me. I’m staying in Sawrey for a couple of weeks in summer so will be checking out the Tower Bank too.

zokes
    Free Member

Both look great – a few other options like those and I’m sure we’ll find somewhere nice 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Masons Arms on Cartmell Fell/strawberry bank

zokes
    Free Member

Good shout THM – eaten / drank there before for a works xmas dinner – didn’t know they did rooms though

crispo
    Free Member

+1 for the drunken duck!

Great location, lovely rooms, great food and it has it’s own brewery which makes a couple of cracking beers!

joao3v16
    Free Member

you want a room in a lake?

zokes
    Free Member

you want a room in a lake?

Only if it’s on a boat 😛

andycs

Church House at Torver

poolman
    Free Member

I’d go to Brittania Inn at Elterwater. We had a beer there last week & it really is beautiful. May get busy on weekends or summer hols but mid week is tops.

Also try Coniston, the pub with the microbrewery by the bridge.

Far Sawrey too – we walked from Bowness to Beatrix Potters house via the car ferry. You can avoid the road on well signposted paths.

Try Wilfs cafe in Stavely for a cheapish veggie blowout,

Enjoy

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

My folks live in the Lakes and the DD was my local. Trouble is, I remember it when it was a pub with good value chicken-in-the-basket etc. I find the place far too expensive now. Last time I went, my kids were still babies/infants and lunch was three figure bill. Ludicrous. Haven’t been back since although my brother still goes.

Britannia good for a pint and a snack as is the Outgate

kendalcottages
    Free Member

Hi zokes… I don’t know if you would consider self-catering at all but, if you would, we have a lovely apartment on the river in Kendal that you might like to look at. It has its own private balcony with views of the river and towards Kendal Castle.

…and here’s a picture of the master bedroom. (There’s a second bedroom, too, so the place can sleep up to 4 people.)

If you’d like to learn more, there’s a website here with further information.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Decent hotels / pubs with good rooms in the lakes’ is closed to new replies.