Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Decent headphones for recording/mixing?
  • thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’m in need of a new pair of headphones (over ear can style). I record/produce some music at home, so I want fairly ‘transparent’ headphones that won’t colour the sound put into them. I’d prefer ones with a removable cable if possible and obviously the more comfortable the better. However, sound quality is top priority.

I’m looking at around the £60 mark, as I have an Amazon voucher for that value. I’m happy to pay a bit extra if they seem worth it.

So far, I’m looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M40x and Sony MDR7506. Are there any other options I’ve missed? I’ve had good experiences with sennheisser, but all their headphones say they’re “optimised for ipod/mp3” which doesn’t sound reassuring to me for what I actually want them for.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just noticed, wrong forum. Oops.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Beyer Dynamic DT100’s were the tool of choice a few yaers back when I ran a recording studio. Not for mixing I might add-can’t see that you’d ever get particularly good result mixing via headphones?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not going for final masters with them, but I find headphones pretty useful for panning and subtleties in synths/effects. Also, I’m at uni at the moment, so I can’t afford a decent pair of monitors or to go home to use my dad’s

I mainly want to record and mix to a point where most of the work is done so that when I get home or if I decide to get some studio time I’m not trying to do whole tracks in one session.

ajantom

For mixing at home I use Grado SR80s. Very comfortable – in fact the most comfortable cans I’ve ever used – and Grado headphones seem to reproduce the sound very accurately, no colouring or bass enhancement.
    I use them in conjunction with a set of Genelec 1029s, and have produced some mixes that i’m pretty happy with when listened back in my mate’s pro-level studio.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Decent headphones for recording/mixing?’ is closed to new replies.