Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Decent Food/Ale Recommendation Needed – Moorgate, London
  • MrGrim

Near Moorgate tonight and have some till to kill before bed time. Any good recommendations for simple food and beer in the area?

Anything else I can do at night? I know there will be loads, but local knowledge is good.

AlasdairMc

grab a Boris bike and ride into town. I can’t really recommend any places near Moorgate for food though – I tend to stay in Southwark or Westminster when I’m down.

The Swan at the Globe does good food and beer though, and when combined with a Boris Bike, problem solved.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    mogrim

Nice beer, but lacking on the food front. (The pork pies aren’t bad, but nothing special given what they cost…)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why would you put solids in a hydraulic system? 😉

mogrim

Why would you put solids in a hydraulic system?

OP seems to want to, ask him 😕

garage-dweller

Is it not like the fine granules in tyre sealant, helps plug any leaks.

MrGrim

I’ve been up since 3:30 this morning, so although I’d be happy to dive into the nearest piss up, I really need something to eat first 🙂

AlasdairMc – Good idea. Not sure if I’ll have the energy – see above. I’m back down soon though, so I will be having a shot on the Boris bikes. I’ve seen a few today which is rare as I normally don’t leave the airport in anything other than a plane

nedrapier

The Globe on Moorgate itself isn’t too bad. It’s a Nicholsons pub, so better than average ale range, Thornbridge Jaipur if you’re lucky. And the food’s been good when I’ve been there – Decent pub grub.

Not desperately adventurous if you want to kill some and have a look round though!

You could head up the Heron Tower for a drink (you won’t want to pay for more than one!) in Sushi Samba – great views, worth a bit of premium on a beer.

Edit: Just seen yours – The Globe it is, then! South end of Moorgate, just past the crossrail construction site. Head upstairs if you’re eating.

mogrim

Heading up from Holborn towards The Craft Beer Co there are quite a few greasy spoons, might be worth a look.

mogrim

There’s a Fullers pub on Giltspur St., here. Has reasonable beer + pies. Closish to where you are.

edlong
    Free Member

Decent ale, and you’re in Moorgate? Hmmm, okay, hop on the northern line, I think it’s three stops to Kings Cross, from there you can be in Yorkshire in a couple of hours, good ale aplenty, in fact there’s a decent place just outside Leeds Station.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

When in Rome.

Abacus, Harry’s, Bar of Death (Corney’s on old board street), Babel, Apt or Digress…. take your pick.

You won’t get ale or food but you will get loads of lads with flash watches and plenty of p1ssed upped PA’s with handbags that cost more then the expensive bikes people ride on here.

or

The Old Docter Butler’s Head …. head south down Moorgate (over the lights where the Globe is), on the right about 300yards down is a little alley next to the Gable (which actually isn’t bad itself) just down there.

or

Try the Fullers in the alley (more like a vtight road) roughly opposite on the left handside as you walk down Moorgate

MrGrim

Went to the Globe. Summary was pish food, good drink.

Definitely one for an after work beer then onto somewhere else to eat IMO.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll keep a note of this thread to follow up on some of the recommendations next time I’m here, apart from going to Leeds for ale pah! Have enough good breweries on my doorstep back home 😉

nedrapier

Sorry the food wasn’t good. 😕

I work just round the corner. Let me know next time you’re down and thirsty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When in the country, work isn’t a million miles away either…

FWIW, I’d Boris over to a better part of town for dinner/people watching another time, if you have the effort. A ride along the river to SW1 is lovely on a night like tonight. It’s all about SW1…! 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Decent Food/Ale Recommendation Needed – Moorgate, London’ is closed to new replies.