Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • decent comfy grips
  • prahran
    Free Member

Heading to the Alps and want some decent grips that are going to save my hands from blisters!

mafiafish
    Free Member

Maybe try renthal’s super soft kevlar jobs? Minging colour but should be nice and absorbent. Or, if you’ve got giant hands, try oury grips, the Euro boys love them.

honourablegeorge

I used suffer badly with blisters – the ODI Troy lees (and possibly the Eastoc Havoc carbon bars underneath) seen to have cured it.

nicko74

Lock-on or regular?
    ODI Ruffians or Troy Lees get good reviews, but haven’t tried them myself

prahran
    Free Member

I’ve got some basic lock ons and they blister me up after a couple of days descending. Maybe it’s time to ditch the lock ons

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Left of field, but I really like Ritchey foam grips, ~100g lighter than lock ons, much comfier and seem really grippy, I went out on the pitch which is my only bike still using normal grips and almost dropped it when my (wet) hands slid off the bars. And being foam they isolate you from the buzz of the trail.

Downside is they need glueing on (but why do you need grips that go on and off easily, are your grips more reliable than your brakes/shifters/bars?) upside they’re lasting a lot longer than the straitlies they replaced.

mboy
    Free Member

Easier to make a suggestion if we know what you’re currently using, and don’t like about them…

Maybe try renthal’s super soft kevlar jobs? Minging colour but should be nice and absorbent. Or, if you’ve got giant hands, try oury grips, the Euro boys love them.

For precisely this point. The Renthals are really thin, and the Oury’s are mega fat! I like a thick grip myself, but the Oury’s are too much.

ODI Rogue Lockons have been my personal preference for a long while. In fact, did a ride last night and forgot to take any gloves (for the first time in about 6 years!) and even after more than 2 hours my hands were still comfy and no callouses/blisters etc. Normally I’d get blisters forming in 5 minutes on most grips without gloves!

AlexSimon

Isn’t it going to be just as much down to the gloves? I would say sweat was the biggest problem. (and death gripping).

I’ve got ODI Troy Lees and old school ODI Attacks. Both a little fatter than most. Love them more than the more solid grips I’ve had previously (yeti for example).

prahran
    Free Member

The foam grips look a lot wider than the lock ons. I thought they might cause arm pump?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Loving the ODI ones at the minute…

Apologies for the crappy eyephone piccies…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Odi long necks. Sorted.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I`ve used all sorts of grips,hard,soft,various ODI,DMR and so on and never had an issue with blisters.I did used to get numb hands from where I tend to rest my palms on the ends of the bars,but now moved to single sided lock ons and no longer have the problem.

Twiggy
    Free Member

Totally agree on the Renthals. I used to get really bad hand cramps on my old bike. Switched to these and was cured instantly. Just about to buy a set for my new bike. Added faff of non-lock on grips worth it for extra comfort.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like ESI.

take 2 pairs of different gloves too.

Kato

I like ODI Rogues. Have had them on all my bikes for years

crftom
    Free Member

Race face snipers are nice and smooth

theendisnigh
    Free Member

When I ride downhill, I use cheap superstar foam grips. I find they give far less arm pump. Although be warned, if it gets really muddy they are useless, sliding up and down the bars.

They are only a few quid, maybe get a pair to try.

monkeyboyjc

+1 for ESI’s
    never had a lock on thats been as comfortable….

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Lizard Skin Peaty’s – If they are good enough for him, they are good enough for me.

Lovely and grippy! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My choice?
    Intense/ODI Lock Ons (They have a semi-flange…..fnaaaar!)
    Troy Lee XC gloves

I have big hands, and this seems to work very, very well for me.

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS foams all the way, got them on both bikes. Stick ’em on with hairspray and they don’t move, even after many wet days in the Peaks, Dales and Scotland.. plus they feel fab and remove a bit of the trail buzz. Cheap as chips too.

alpin
    Free Member

make a set of your own…

i got tired of replacing grips after half a season and don’t like the rubber on my bare hands.

i ended up completely stripping an oldset of lock-ons and wrapping bar tape around the innards, using super glue as i wound the tape to make sure it didn’t slip. had my current grips for 18 months and although they now look a little tatty, they still work and are comfy.

if you take your time and are patient you can achieve a good result.
    pics on request.

oh, and two rolls of bar tape are about 6 quid. a set of lock-on grips about 15 and you get enough tape to cover six grips.

kiwijohn

Odyssey keyboards are my favourite. Fairly thin but still cushy.
    Also come in a million colours.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

ODI Cross Trainers for me

I was recently out in Italy on an uplift holiday

Forgot my gloves one one of the days so had to do the whole day without them – grips felt comfortable for the whole day

Can’t see myself switching to anything else

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The foam grips look a lot wider than the lock ons. I thought they might cause arm pump?

They might be, not sure, they don’t feel big anyway, the ritchey ones are either ergonomic or normal shaped (ones symmetrical and the other bulges at one side of the centre to fit your palm) and the narrow bit are quite thin, and they’re squishy so you don’t notice if they are thick. Guess what that tried to say was “I don’t notice them while riding so they must be doing their job really well”.

As for riding in the wet, superglue them to the bars, just a little drop at each end, once they wear you can just cut the grip off and acetone will dissolve the glue.

[edit] I tried some cheep foam grips before the ritcheys and wrote off foam grips as being useless with no feel for the trail (I kept crashing after the front wheel would wash out). Whether the ritcheys are better of if I was just looking for a component to blame I’m not sure, but I’ve not had any problems since then.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘decent comfy grips’ is closed to new replies.