Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Decent childrens bike
  • LoCo
    Free Member

My daughter 3 year old ‘needs a bike with pedals’ as her friend now has them, needs to be light as she’s tall but quite thin. 12″ or possibly 14″ or 16″ in a small frame wheels and if it’s pink too that would be great 😉
    Suggestions and pics please.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Ridgeback minny meets your requirements.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers looks quite heavy though, how much lighter are Specialized etc models?

BillOddie

Islabikes is the standard answer and for good reason! they’re ace!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Islabike Cnoc 14 sounds about right (if purple is an acceptable alternative). My lad got one for xmas when he was 3 1/2. Didn’t ride it for 9 months, but when he did it only took 1 pedal stroke to set off.

DSC_0620 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

also worth taking a look at Frogbikes, as they’re pretty much copying Islabikes ideas, but are cheaper as they’re less well known. Also available in polka-dot!

Sodajim

Bought my son a 14″ Ridgeback and his same age cousin got an Isla bike.

When I saw the Isla bike I really wish I’d paid the extra, there is no comparison. Much better components, better weight, and most importantly much better position for peddling.

Ones a toy, ones a proper bike. My son does very well on his Ridgeback but he would fly now on an Isla bike.

If you can afford it, order one and send it back if you don’t like the look of it, but I don’t think you would.

toppers3933
    Free Member

They’re about the same as the ridgeback one I. My experience. The Isla bikes are pretty good too. They are defo lighter. My lad has no problems with his ridgeback. Flies around on it with no stabilisers at 3.

tonyd

Islabike Cnoc 14.

I just moved my eldest (3.5) up from a Rothan (balance bike) to this. Not sure but it felt a bit lighter than a friends Spesh Hotrock 12. Cnoc published weight is 5.68kg, can’t find one for the Hotrock.

Pukeko
    Free Member

+1 for Islabikes.

If your daughter is quite tall like mine, defo go for the 16in. the standover is good and there is loads of adjustment available. She will grow out of 14in quicker than you think.

Something else to keep in mind is mudguards. Ive got them on the 16in Islabike and they make a huge difference in out lovely English weather. My daugher loved them as she could blast through puddles when learning without getting covered in kak. I think Islabikes is one of the few that offer proper guards for the smaller bikes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Avoid Spesh. They weight a tonne, or at least the HotRock 16 we have for our 4 year old does. It’s well built and he loves riding it though, but I’m sure it weighs more than my mountain bike 😆

Garry_Lager

What age are gears a good idea? Our kid is just 5 and has grown out of his first bike – was looking at some of the 16” ones in decathlon at the weekend and they were all ss.

debaser

A colleague of mine just bought a second, bigger Isla bike for his daughter. Going up to the 20 from the 18 or 16 I think. The old one seemed to have held its value very well when he sold it on too.

Both were in a rather fetching magenta / shiny pink which was apparently a key requirement 🙂

I’m very impressed at the effort Isla put into their bikes. Really sorted for components (especially the brakes/lever) nice and light too, which for wee ones is a big bonus.

M6TTF
    Free Member

not heard of the frog brand before, look great though, and a decent saving over Isla bikes – thanks!

ocrider

Another + for Islabikes. They are unbelievably light.

FWIW the pink is very magenta and therefore passed the colour test for our daughter

garage-dweller

We just bought a Saracan Bolt 16″ as bike no. 2 for our 4 year old. He had a 12″ hotrock before which i would say was marginally better quality. £150 for the Saracen.

The weight etc doesnt seem to be an issue for him as it is geared appropriately. He will manage 4-6miles at child friendly pace on gently undulating southern cycle paths. When he has tired his legs out it goes on the follow me. Although in reality i think he just likes being ‘hooked up’ rather than being tired.

I am sure there is nicer kit out there but I dont think either of our choices have held him back.

garage-dweller

Garry lager – everything we looked at at 16″ was SS too. I dont think any of my childhood bikes had gears before about 10 years old. I toured Holland at 8 years old on a bright yellow Raleigh Spider with one gear.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isla is the stock answer if you think £200 is good value for a child’s first bike!

I couldn’t bring myself to part with £200 and got the Ridgeback at £140, but it is stupidly heavy for a kid.

Went in to Tesco at the weekend, they were £50 and just as light as the Ridgeback, ok it might not last as long as the Ridgeback, but it doesn’t matter when they grow out of them so quick.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

+1 for Islabikes here too. They aren’t cheap but they seriously well sorted bikes and are designed to “grow” a bit so you can eke out the time they fit with a longer stem and maybe a longer seat post (though crank length does become an issue eventually) Best thing is the resale value. Chap just picked up my daughters 3-year-old and rather weathered Beinn 20 and happily handed over the £180 asking price. Nothing wrong with the kids bikes from Spesh, Ridgeback or Saracen, but doubt you’ll get much on resale when she outgrows it.

lee170
    Free Member

Islabike or spesh hotrock

igm

3 Islabikes so far here. Being passed from other brother to younger. Oh and a Kona Stinky 2-4 that’s for next year in the alps – just think the fun yo could have tuning he suspension on that LoCo (7 or 8 year olds and up only, but she will grow into it)
    Little Cnoc for now would be my call.

LoCo
    Free Member

Excellent cheers, the Cnoc 16″ is pretty much perfect size for her, the colour has just been approved but I’ve been told it must have sparkly tassles on the handle bars 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

sparkly tassles on the handle bars

Of course. All of the cool kids have them! It makes them faster…

bruk

Bought a Rothan for the 1st sprog. Have been given a small kids Trek bike by a friend. My god it is heavy! Weighed it in at about 27lb! As heavy as my hardtail with suspension forks.

Will probably recycle it and get a lighter version.

hora
    Free Member

I always say maximum profit/return. Be mean, that kid literally eats money. So go for a bike that you can own for 2yrs then sell for the same price here in the classifieds quoting future rrp and discounting the various scratches because of course your not into helping out fellow stw’ers….

iainc

Just bought our 5th Islabike this week. Boys now on beinn 26 and 24 at aged 10 and 7. Have had 14,16,20. Superb wee bikes and worth every penny.

thorpie
    Free Member

Islabikes, they have good second hand value too for when it’s time too be up a size.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Decent childrens bike’ is closed to new replies.