• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Decent cheap printers?
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

It’s a minefield of expensive inks and poor outputs. Tempted by the cheap canon pixma at £40 as I could ditch it if the output is rubbish before the sample inks run out. Anyone had any good experiences of printers?

nickjb
    Free Member

Much happier since I made the switch to laser. A little more expensive to start with but much better at doing the job when you need it.

Drac
    br
    Free Member

Happily we bought a Kodak after many years of expensive other males, ink is still cheap with genuine cartridges. Not sure what’s best now.

cranberry
    Free Member

Decent
    cheap
    printer

Pick 2

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s sad that printers are a disposable item, more so that they’re actually cheap just because they’re subsidised by the ink prices. If they were actually sold for their real value and ink prices dead cheap, people would be less likely to throw them out every time something jams up or heads clog. Sadly the manufacturers also don’t design in maintenance so they’re hard to fix.

Though thing I’ve found about ink printers is you either have to be using it frequently or you waste half a cartridge cleaning it. Most my ink costs are in cleaning rather than printing.

Tempted with a laser to be honest, but I do have a nice all-in-one office kind of ink jet (Epson), including sheet feed scanner, wireless, scans to PDFs, and even has a fax(!) in it (useful for the one awkward still stuck in the 80s company that insists I send by fax, though very rare now). I like it, but just the printer part is annoying because I don’t print a huge amount and it endlessly needs cleaning.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve owned several canon printers recently and have been impressed with the output of all of them, relative to their cost. My Pixma MG5xxx printed very acceptable 7×5 and A4 size prints, easily as good as Snappy snaps.

My Pixma Pro-10s can print A3+ sized gallery quality Giclee prints. I’ve compared the output to a high end photochromic c-type lab print (basically a digital file printed to light sensitive paper) and I honestly preferred the inkjet (though that was partly because I could select a specific type of paper)

Obviously I’m not suggesting you buy a £600 printer but honestly the Canon (and I’m sure the epsom) ranger of budget home printers are really very good indeed.

milky1980
    Free Member

Bought one of these as an emergency replacement for my decade-old Epson R200 last month:

Cheap Canon All-In-One

Print quality is fine and it’s really quiet. I use it to mainly print out the odd letter, claim forms and maps from Memory Map for route planning so it needs to be decent for the detail. For £30 if it lasts longer than the warranty I’ll be happy, ink is reasonably cheap online too.

oldnpastit

Laser printer. I wish I’d bought one years ago rather than spending so much time and frustration on inkjets.

nach
    Free Member

After a couple of cheap inkjets, I switched to laser (Samsung M2020) and never looked back. Laser printers work, they can be left alone for long periods without anything clogging, and generic toner is cheap compared to page output.

wzzzz
    Free Member

buy a used “office spec” (rather than domestic) laser for peanuts and run it on refilled toners from eBay.

Cheap to run and they don’t dry up like inkjets, print quality nicer and print is more waterproof.

user-removed
    Free Member

munkyboy, what are you printing?

Canon is good if you want photo quality. HP is fine if you want supermarket quality documents (I have a £30 Asda special) but for everything else, I outsource.

Drac

print is more waterproof.

100% more?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Decent cheap printers?’ is closed to new replies.