Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Decent 29er tyre
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

All,
    After having a shocking winter with tryes totally useless in mud, what are you all currently running on your 29er for shite UK conditions.

Are you all mud specific tyre users or anyone use a general duty tyre, ie one for all year around.

Ideas on a postcard please.

Thanks 🙄

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Bonty ACX are pretty good all rounders. Currently running tubeless mud x.

Keef
    Free Member

wot he said.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

I’d be on mud x if I was looking for a mud specific tyre but I have Maxxis Ignitors on my 29er which I find good as an all rounder and that bit wider to allow better for rocky trails.

CheesybeanZ

been using Rampage , not the fastest rolling but very good grip .

takisawa2

Bonty Jones ACX here also. Roll nicely, but will probably go back to Nevegal & BlueGroove for next winter. Dont think the ACX’s grip as well as Nev/BG combo TBH. Looking forward to getting some SmallBlock8’s for spring-summer, but seem to be no stock anywhere. Tried some Mountain Kings, didnt get on with them. Seemed to squirm a lot, but my 29er spends its life mostly on pretty firm trails/fire roads.

Two bikes, two pairs of wheels.
    Michelin XC All Terrain and Schwalbe Little Albert for all conditions.
    Continental Race Kings and Specialized Fast Trak for dry conditions.
    I don’t bother with a specific mud tyre.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Rampage are good in the mud but a bit slow on the road.

tang
    Free Member

Nobby nics all winter here, prob leave them on.

MrTall
    Free Member

Sold my rampages, didn’t get on with them at all.

Nevegals and Mud X for me on the 2 29ers i’ve been using through the winter.

Weirwolfs, SB8 and The Captains once i change over for the impending dry and dusty summer trails (crosses fingers).

tazzymtb

Nobby nics have been ace all winter, rocket rons going on soon for riding quickly round fields season

keavo
    Free Member

little alberts for winter wet/sloppy conditions. they are a low volume allrounder, do o.k. in anything.

Ringo
    Free Member

currently using and really liking kenda karmas

julesf7
    Free Member

Rampage up front, regardless of conditions. Mud X on the rear in winter, Geax Saguaro in summer.

john_l
    Free Member

Bontrager 29-3 2.25 up front seems to be able to cope with pretty much anything & is nice high volume. ACX on the rear for slop.

hoojum
    Free Member

I use a Maxxis Ignitor on the front all year round and switch between a Bonty Mud-X in winter and a Maxxis Crossmark in summer. Seems to work for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ignitors for all year round.
    Occasionally SB8s or WTB werewolf in summer.

Just got some RRs from a mate so having a go with them on the front with ignitor on the back at the moment.

hoojum
    Free Member

Oops double post

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve got a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 at the front and it’s blimmin brilliant.

Bit heavy for racing and that, but ace for hooning around.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Was sold on Mud X on rear for mud, but have recently put an Ardent 2.4 on the rear, rolls better, more cush, slight sacrifice on rear grip on some circumstances – but not enough to make me go back to the Mud X. Larry 3.8 on the front 🙂 I didn’t rate the Ardent as a front tyre in the mud.

Mud’s dried out here anyhow – took the crudcatchers off – woot!

Will use Weirwolf when it’s hard and dry, or I may pick up an Racing Ralf 2.4, for the rear.

Stoner
    Free Member

futon – take care with the RR2.4. Wont fit in my rear triangle. (Ti29er)

singletracksurfer

Maxxis ardent here too (for all round riding).

singlespeedstu

Stoner – Member

futon – take care with the RR2.4. Wont fit in my rear triangle. (Ti29er)

It’ll fit in the Jones but rubs if you hit corners hard.

Stoner
    Free Member

mine rubbed the chainstay when honking. Cornering wasnt such a problem but then Im a jessie 🙂

It would have fit the trackends iif only I could have moved the calliper another 5mm backwards.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a 50mm rim for the rear wheel too……. Kris Holm does twin walled 47m drilled rim that’s not too heavy – and Jeff has some rims out too.

emac65
    Free Member

Bonty ACX’s year round,marvelous tyre…..

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well I bought a pair of Racing Ralfs – weighed in at 660g which is nice – but holy sh@t they’re small – mine size up to 55mm!!!!! compared to an Ardent on the rear, the RR 2.4 on the front looks positively anorexic 🙁 pooo! No where near the largest tyre out there!

singlespeedstu

but holy sh@t they’re small – mine size up to 55mm

Just been and measured a 2.4RR on a Flow and it comes up at 62mm.

The Ardent measures up at 61mm also on a Flow.

You sure they’re 2.4’s?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Says 2.4 on the casing.… the box says 2.4.

They’re on 35mm Gordos as well!

Not impressed at all.

singlespeedstu

It might stretch a bit but not that much.

I’ve got a 2.25 RR on the rear of the Jones ATM.

I’ll go and measure that in a bit.

singlespeedstu

*comes back from garage*

The 2.25 RR on Flow rim measures 56mm.

There’s something not right with your tyres. 😐

ratadog

Running Rampages all year round as best compromise I have found – obviously depends a lot on local conditions.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I sent the undersized RRs back to wiggle – who were good enough to give a refund plus postage, that’s good service :).

Bought another RR from the Bikemonger – this one is more like it. Weighs in at a svelt 620g!! Airs up to about 62mm – yay 😀

epicyclo

RRs on the back, Rampage on front.

singlespeedstu

How odd is that.
    At least you’re sorted now.

charliedontsurf

Cedric Garcia 29ers look well nobby. Not tried them myself but have some in the shop.
    2.35 knobbly nics are great in the crap.
    Personally I use racing ralphs all year but it’s always sunny and dry down here.
    Not a fan of the bontys as I have had a few warp and split.
    I should have the full range of WTB, kenda, conti and schwalbe 29ers soon. Spoilt for choice.

charliedontsurf

Man that racing Ralph thing is weird.
    I guess they put a 2…. Something small in 2.4 box.
    I use 2.4 front. 2.2 rear, as a 2.4 buzzes the frame when climbing.
    RRs are even better when run tubeless, it’s like have extra suspension – almost as good as a flexstem 😉

shortcut

Currently on Maxxis Aspens and have been having a lot of success with WTB Prowler SL’s bought off ebay (cheap, light, good) running them tubeless with Stans Arch rims. They even seal ok.

soulwood
    Free Member

I use my 29er for commuting duties as well as riding tamer trails, so when the mud came I tried Captains but found them to be draggy after running crossmarks all summer. There were also too big and not wanting a mud specific tyre I tried some Schwalbe cross tyres. Smart Sam in 35c, very slim but incredibly good in that kind of seemingly bottomless boggy mud that you usually slide about in and collect several pounds of weight in with normal 2″ tyres. And they were good for commuting. But I don’t take my niner in rocky places, my FS is for that.

rOcKeTdOg

bonty mud x all winter (great in snow too oddly) now crossmark/bonty XRb

i’d have Nobby nics if they weren’t £45 a pop, thieving Germans!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Decent 29er tyre’ is closed to new replies.