Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Decathlon wheels?
  • cookeaa

The rear wheel on my road bike went Bang on the way home last night (I’m choosing to believe this was due to my awesome Power rather than the fact that the wheel is a bit shite)…

Anyway I thought I’d look for an emergency cheap back wheel and after the thread yesterday about decathlon’s bargain road bikes I had a quick look at their website and they do a basic 700c wheel for just £35, seems a pretty good price, anyone used their cheapy wheels? worth getting? I can make the time to drop in this week and pick one up rather than faff with online ordering.

Failing that where else can I get a similarly cheap rear wheel for a road bike?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You forgot to post a link 😉 is this it?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-700c-wheel-cassette-id_8005016.html

1253gm is heavy but at £35 what’s to lose? £50-60 would get you something like a shimano – way lighter and probably more durable.

buck53

Can vouch for their sturdy-ness. Girlfriend has a Decathlon frame that came with those wheels that she happily used until upgrades came at Christmas.

Only slight issue she had was with it coming slightly out of true, but the roads round us are pot holed to a ridiculous extent and I was soon able to straighten them again.

Certainly fine for an emergency/make do for a bit wheel. I’d go so far as to say would be OK as a winter wheel.

cookeaa

Well I had only planned to have the cheap wheel as an emergency spare and fix my other wheel at a leisurely pace, but I have to say I am tempted to just spend a bit more and get a new better more reliable wheel. It’s a commuter so weight is less of a concern than durability I suppose…

OK I think I’ll just go look for a slightly pricier, decent, new rear wheel, and fix the old one as a spare…

Cheers for the input.

riggsy
    Free Member

Ive used them for years for commuting on and they are fine, they are heavy but Ive never had any problems apart from bending one when I had an off

cookeaa

actually with a bit more interwebbing I’ve found a 32H Tiagra hub on a Mach 1 Omega for about the same price as the unbranded Decathlon wheel.

I think I’ll just go for that as a solid commuter wheel and replace the spoke and true up my knackered RD60 for when I (inevitably) need a spare…

globalti
    Free Member

The Decathlon bearings are made from finest gruyere and the rims from parmesan. Grease the bearings well and don’t have a crash and you’ll get good service out of them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon wheels?’ is closed to new replies.