Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Decathlon Bikes??
  • Elsa
    Free Member

I want to start commuting on my bike to work (a couple of miles each way), but cant ride either of my current bikes in case they get stolen (the bike will be left outside a Uni on a bike stand).

I want to get a cheap commuter to do the job. Has anyone owned a Decathlon bike? I’ve been looking at their cheaper bikes (less than £150). Was it any good? Did it need alot of maintenance?

I cant afford to spend much money on another bike and I dont want to worry about getting it stolen. Would a Decathlon bike do the job?

Cheers

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

friends just bought a 200 quid mtb, seems good for the money. Stem was wwaaayy to long, but apart from that ok.

I reckon it’d be up to the job, you can always singlespeed it if the gears where out.

Tiboy

I’ve had a £150 decathlon racer for 4 years now, did 3 years at uni with no maintenance, and was excellent! excellent value for money IMO

tinsy
    Free Member

Isnt buying a brand new bike for that sort of thing asking for trouble?

A Decathlon bike would be more than up to the job by the sounds of it, but surely something suitable is out there 2nd hand for more like £50 if your on a tight budget.

Elsa
    Free Member

I’d love to get something 2nd hand for £50! Have been looking on the classifieds here but havent seen anything..

Cheers for your help.

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you put a wanted add on? Bargains take a little patience, Ebay could help or Gumtree is worth a look for 2nd hand stuff.

If you dont want the maintenace or tinkering, stick with the cheap new bike idea though.

z1ppy

Decathlon sound like great value, though I’ve not specifically looked at £150 bike to be fair.

Bear in mind that MTB’s do seem to be highly desireable to thiefs, maybe a racer would be a better bet? (as per Tiboy)
    Otherwise get a bike, cover it in ‘bits’ of 3m reflective tape – for safetly and to make it look undesireable, cover it with reflectors (again for safetly and to make it ugly) spray if in WD40 and go riding up a dusty track to get it covered in dirt and don’t wash it off…. you get the idea…

colande
    Free Member

yeah something will crop up on the classified,
    managed to get a GT frame that was ready to SS,
    everything except wheels, sprocket and handle bars for £85

i already had some spare wheels, chain and bars,
    bought some different forks for it (via classifieds 4 £35)
    so will definitely come in under the £150 budget.

if your in no rush then wait it out and something nice will pop up

will
    Free Member

Secondhand is where you want to be looking mate, get SS as well, no maintenance issues at all then!

db

Go for it. My kids both have them and despite huge abuse and zero maintenance they are both fine. One was about £89 and one about £100. The more expensive one has an alloy frame. Depending on miles I would go for a really cheap one with bolt through wheels and seatpost.

db

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

this would be ok.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-51-60-52393751/

2nd hand is great, if you can find it. But it takes time and its difficult to know what you’re getting. often you’ll have to replace the drive train too.

I sometimes look for 2nd hand ebay ‘bargains’ but very often they seem to be overvalued for what they are.

Elsa
    Free Member

Thanks HoratioHufnagel

Thats kinda the sort of bike I was thinking of.

Does anyone understand the Decathlon sizing system? What do these sizes mean 51/20,08IN, 60/23,62IN?

Cheers

z1ppy
    Elsa
    Free Member

z1ppy – its in French and the English version doesnt work..

z1ppy

ahh didn’t look any further… where Juan when you need him?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

i used to work for decathlon and looked at getting one of those bikes myself , think they were only 130 when i was looking go into the store and see what they have end of line . having said that 2nd hand is the where the best deals are at but can sometime be a hassle.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Bikes??’ is closed to new replies.