Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Decathlon 24” wheel kids’ MTBs – Any real world experience?
  • Harry_the_Spider

My lad is getting a bit big for his 20” Carrera Blast but he’s probably too small for a 26”.

Decathlon do a 24” wheel for £140 or £200 depending on the spec. The Rockrider 500 and 700.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/24-rockrider-500-kids-mountain-bike-id_8309974.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/24-rockrider-700-kids-mountain-bike-id_8327645.html

Has anybody got experience of them? Whilst I’d love to buy him an Isla Bike I can’t afford it. Also, I’d rather go new than second hand for his first “bigger” bike.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

jonnyboi

Our middle kids had one, it was….ok had to change the bars and tyres. it was also quite heavy. Think of it as similar to a hotrock rather than an isla bike.

For our youngest we’ve moved on to the Raleigh performance range. Cheaper than an isla bike, and comparable on weight.

Harry_the_Spider

Raleigh Tumult 24 for £163 and quite a bit lighter than the Decathlon… hmmm…

buckster
    Free Member

My youngest had one, great frame for the money, I upgraded all the mechanicals/forks from 2nd hand over time and it ended up a fantastic bike

richardthird

Tumult listed as a Hi-Ten steel lump. My lad had a Pinnacle, alu from Evans, I also upgraded that, was great.

ETA this one. Put Clarks M2s on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinnacle-TwentyFour-Disc-Kids-Bike-24-Inch-Wheel-/162301458033?hash=item25c9ebb671:g:4n8AAOSw5cNYFjNw

Harry_the_Spider

Tumult listed is a Hi-Ten steel lump.

…but at 12kg it weighs less than a Hotrock. The Islabike and Hoy are around 9kg.

The cheaper of the Decathlon bikes weighs more than my 29″ Trigger!

richardthird

Never trust listed weights! Avoid Hi Ten, really, no kid deserves that.

Cheaper Decathlon is also Hi Ten.

Dawes also do a lighter range of kids bikes, 1x, rigid forks, really on a par with Isla. But also £300+

I’d def buy lightly bruised second hand though.

24″ Blast? Alu and should be loads about.

brassneck

…but at 12kg it weighs less than a Hotrock.

Is that a listed weight or an actual? My middle son has a Hotrock (it looks like a 13″ 26 wheel frame actually) – never weighed it but I’d be surprised if it was that heavy. Might go and do that if I can find the fishing scales (although they always overrread a bit ;-))

Harry_the_Spider

Do you rate the Hotrock?

richardthird

Hotrocks are good. A mate had 2 of them, now passed on to other mates’ kids.

Trek MT220 is good too, especially the cranks with 2 lots of holes drilled.

jonnyboi

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=9&pg=18466

I’ve seen them for less, but you’ll need to use some google fu

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hi Harry got one of these ,Marin Bayview Trail 24 excellent condition I know its not new but you could always have a look if we could tie in with no obligation to buy. I would rather it went to someone off here than any old ebayer, let me know if you are interested.I have a load of photos on my phone ready to list it but just not got round to it.
    Here it is.

Harry_the_Spider

Looks good. Can you mail me with a price and let me know where you are? I’ll need to run any cap ex purchases past the minister of fun. Email in profile.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Sent an email Harry.

John

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi, i know you said you wanted to go down the new route but I have a ridgeback mx 24 in good condition recently serviced you can have f.o.c ,wife wants space in the garage and between me and the boy theres 5 bikes as he has just had a growth spurt and to upgrade him,if your interested and anywhere near Wolverhampton give us a email the only issue my young fella had was getting to grips with the twist shift but the decathlon bikes are the same

Harry_the_Spider

Did anyone on here snap up that ebay Hotrock24 in Sale for £75?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon 24” wheel kids’ MTBs – Any real world experience?’ is closed to new replies.