• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Susie.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Decaffeinated coffee beans
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

Now that I have my new super bean to cup coffee machine I’d like to get some more use out of it. If i have anything with caffeine in after about 5pm then I’m awake till 3 in the morning so I’m investigating decaf coffee beans. Worth having or am I wasting my time (in terms of taste i mean)? Recommendations?

Drac

Get out!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

When my wife was pregnant she had a lot of decaf and the best we found was Hasbean Guatemala El Bosque. I drank it regularly out of choice and enjoyed it nearly as much as our normal beans of choice

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/guatemala-el-bosque-washed-co2-decaf

Rockhopper
    Free Member

🙂 Drac

Bazz

How do they get the caffeine out? I’ve always wondered.

M6TTF
    Free Member

never really understood the point of drinking decoffeenated…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its like what do they do with the alcohol they take out of alcohol free beer? I think they put it in my Skol Super 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

>How do they get the caffeine out?
    Often, with solvents.

Nothing to see here, keep scrolling…..

sandwicheater

How do they get the caffeine out? I’ve always wondered.

Think they wash it in coffee. Caffeine leaches out, coffee flavour stays in. This is based on a brief glance at something 20 years ago.

Have found the Harrogate stuff to be OK.

legend
    Free Member

Think they wash it in coffee. Caffeine leaches out, coffee flavour stays in

They then sell the caffeine for more than they sell the coffee…

davidr

Pact do really nice decaf coffee beans on a subscription service – I’ve been decaf for a year.

For cheaper beans, Waitrose do them as do Starbucks. There are loads of good decaf beans out there.

For removing the caffeine they use the swiss water process (http://www.coffeereview.com/coffee-reference/coffee-categories/decaffeinated-coffee/swiss-water-process/). Definitely avoid coffee that isn’t swiss water as they’ll have used solvents.

bainbrge

Booths do an own brand swiss water decaf, which I am currently restricted to whilst healing broken bones. In reality it doesn’t lose much to some of their other decent caffeinated blends.

Kamakazie

As above, Swiss Water Decaf is the best for retaining some actual flavour IME.

The best coffee I’ve had is with a French Press and beans from Cooper & Co Coffee and that was actually a decaf! I’m not sure I’d recommend it for espresso though as it always been a bit average in comparison.

Give a go to any of the stuff from your local small batch roaster or online alternatives.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Think they wash it in coffee. Caffeine leaches out, coffee flavour stays in. This is based on a brief glance at something 20 years ago.

They then sell the caffeine for more than they sell the coffee…

Not in that specific (Swiss Water) case, you wash the beans in ‘coffee’ then filter the coffee through charcoal to remove the caffine, then re-use the coffee. It’s the only process that doesn’t allow for the recovery of caffeine.

The other options are:

Super-critical CO2 (i.e. CO2 at such high pressure that it has the density of a liquid, but the viscosity of a gas).

Ethyl acetate.

Di-chloro Methane is used as well, but this is potentially carcinogenic. It is however viewed as ‘the best’ in terms of retaining coffee flavors, so still used. Especially if you’re buying from some posh swanky hipster artisan coffee roasters. I’d not worry though, the FDA safe level is 10ppm, after steaming it’s nearer 1ppm, it then spends 15minutes in the roaster at 200C (boiling point of DCM is about 35C), then you make coffee with it at 100C, there isn’t a notable amount in your coffee.

CO2 is used via the indirect process (CO2 is mixed with the water like the charcoal is in the Swiss process), the other two can either be done this way (so the beans only ever contact trace amounts of solvent anyway) or by directly soaking the beans in the solvent.

Ohh and ‘naturally decaffeinated’ usually means washed in ethyl acetate, why? Because ethyl acetate is naturally occurring in fruit. The fact that the stuff used to extract caffeine is likely from an oil refinery is an inconvenient truth.

saladdodger
    Free Member

DeCaf coffee????

Is that a bit like going with a prostitute for a cuddle 🙄

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. I get good money for ‘Snuggle time’
    I thought the caffeine was removed by being rolled on the naked thighs of ex coal minors

molgrips
    Free Member

Waitrose do a nice one with a blue label, forget it’s name. Monsoon Malabar perhaps?

momo

The Pact decaf is nice, MrsMomo also bought me a big bag of Lavazza decaf espresso roast beans for christmas which were good.

tmb467
    Free Member

Pact decaf is really quite good

Goes well in a mocha before bed

molgrips
    Free Member

Peru, it was.

Susie
    Free Member

Ozone coffee.

Bazz

Thanks for the info on decaffeinating, confirms my belief in keeping it in.

RobHilton
    Free Member

St Martins in Leicester sell kick-ass decaf Beans

benp1

I drink decaf in the afternoons

I don’t really get all the beating of chests when you tell people this. I agree it’s not as it was originally intended, but so what? Diet Coke, hybrid cars, e bikes, margarine etc

If it works for you crack on

I’m not a coffee snob so don’t mind standard decaf grounds from Taylor’s etc

Susie
    Free Member

Will have to pop into Leicester at the weekend and give them a try.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Decaffeinated coffee beans’ is closed to new replies.