Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • decaffeinated coffee – any worth drinking?
  • convert

A quick reassessment of my recent lifestyle has begrudgingly made me re-evaluate my consumption for the next few weeks. It's been 6 weeks since I have not had a drink or 2 (or 3 if I'm honest) of an evening and I tend to live on coffee (to the extent that my assistant has trained himself to have a pot on for when I walk in the door which is replenished far too often to be sensible). Like a smoker with a death sticker my hands have started to feel empty without a drink (coffee in the day, alcohol @night). I'm not convinced less of each will make any physical difference to my health but physiologically it'll be good to know I'm not addicted. As an all or nothing type personality switching straight to moderation does not seem to be in my natural vocabulary so its abstinence for a month or so to break the habit.

So… coffee…. any drinkable instant & pre-ground bean decafs out there? Something that doesn't taste like "mellow birds". Am prepared to hunt around a bit or go online but cant be doing with grinding own for a decaf.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Try this :

As an all or nothing type personality switching straight to moderation does not seem to be in my natural vocabulary so its abstinence

Expect to get headaches for the first day or two then.

theotherjonv

ditto what ernie said; I've been cutting down over christmas to allowing myself 4 cups a day only (from an estimated 8-10 during a work day)

Even by cutting down instead of out completely – have the paracetemol on standby. In Withnail's words 'a f**ker behind the eyes'.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

I can't be bothered digging it out but I believe the british medical council published some long term investigation report into coffee and the consensus was that drinking lots of coffee has no detrimental health impact whatsoever.

Personally, I found cutting out coffee *dramatically* reduced the amount of migraines I was having. I used to get at least one a month, now I get one every six months at the most. And it's heaven. It's a pig when I get one but at least I get plenty of time to recover in between and I never get the 'afraid I'm not going to die' ones any more.

scuttler

Sainsbury's Fairtrade Colombian Decaffinated Coffee, Taste the Difference

clicky

montylikesbeer

erm nope

grizzer
    Free Member

+2 No

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I like Percol's decaf & also Tesco's own brand. They taste quite different tho'.

chewkw
    Free Member

No. If you want to drink coffee then drink the proper ones.

langy
    Free Member

Lavazza decaf is passable.

Oxfam fairtrade decaf is what we have at home at the moment.

I only have decaf tea and coffee at home for this reason; otherwise some w/ends I'll drink half a dozen or more of them a day before I even think about it and then find that I can't sleep, which is great come the next work week 🙄

The Alcohol… Over Xmas it was 3-4 beers a day cos I could as much as anything; now it's back to work, maybe a couple over the w/end. That's self control, but the easy thing to do is not have any in the house to start with; if you have to go and get some, you think about it and can remind yourself why it's not there. Then you consume when you really want to rather than just because you can.

The drink itself is not hard to cut out, it's changing the rest of your routine which includes the drinking (both alcohol and caffeine) that will seem foreign at first. Another way to break ours was to night ride on Saturday evenings instead of pub; trails are quiet, ride is relaxed and fun so you still get the social interaction, but ends more often in food with maybe a single beer rather than a big night out and the money that costs.

trout
    Free Member

Decaf coffee and tea is not right
    would rather drink water then either

langy
    Free Member

you're not wrong trout; they aren't as good as the "real" thing, but…

tegski
    Free Member

My wife was drinking decaf – horrible stuff…(we are fussy ie grind beans for the espresso 🙂 ), but found that it made her blood pressure go up – apparently there have been some studies done on this. Back to a couple of cups of fav caffeinated blend per day and blood pressure back to normal. You may want to bear this in mind…

trout
    Free Member

my First drink of the day is tea .
    then a cup of Taylors Java Lava with the breakie mmm nice

then tea when ever offered in customers houses as the tea is usually drinkable

and another Nice Coffee when I come home

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lavazza decaf here in the evenings, lovely stuff IMO

kiwijohn

Death B4 Decaf

thejesmonddingo

If you're trying to reduce your caffeine intake,try Sainsbury's New York style half caff,it's drinkable,and helped me cut down.
    Ian

atlaz
    Free Member

Just don't drink coffee if you're that bothered about cutting out.

iDave
    Free Member

anyone got any bikes with no wheels I might like to try?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘decaffeinated coffee – any worth drinking?’ is closed to new replies.