• This topic has 49 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Debt Collection Letters
  • johndoh
    Free Member

But he only says ‘it looks *like* this’. I guess he just found an example on the interwebz.

johndoh
    Free Member
    xiphon
    Free Member

We had someone turn up at our door, chasing the previous tenants. Just showed him my driving license, and he was satisfied.

Never heard from them since.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Opening someone else email is a crime

I take it you mean mail rather than email, it is not illegal to open mail delivered to your home.

xiphon
    Free Member

If the envelope is not addressed to you (including your name – not just ‘occupier’) then it’s illegal to open it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Woody – If you want to send letter then that’s fine but personally I don’t think it is necessary AT THIS STAGE.

The letter is always there as a next step, but a call is much quicker and less hassle.

Just make sure you get a reference number for the call, full name of the agent, name of their manager, etc.

If that doesn’t work, go to the next stage.

Whatever you choose to do don’t worry about it, as most others have said it’s not your debt and that’s all you need to remember.

Let us know how you get on.

MSP

If the envelope is not addressed to you (including your name – not just ‘occupier’) then it’s illegal to open it.

No, you can open it if its delivered to your address, if its something important you have a “duty” to take reasonable actions to notify the intended recipient or the sender that they have the wrong address.

Cougar

Postal Services Act 2000 states it’s illegal “without reasonable excuse”

Cougar

127. Section 84(1) provides for it to be an offence if persons intentionally delay or open postal packets without reasonable excuse. It amalgamates the content of offences previously included in the Post Office Act 1953.
    128. Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

MSP

If its got your address on it, then it’s not incorrectly delivered. If you know the name is your neighbours then you can reasonably rectify the situation. If you don’t recognise the name then you are clearly not acting to anyone’s detriment to open the letter and deal with it appropriately.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Debt Collection Letters’ is closed to new replies.