Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Debris behind closure plate, behind gas fire. Neighbour knocking down chim stack
  • Poopscoop

Ok, new neighbour knocking down part of their chimney stack, “part” as they are fitting an oven into the stack.

Terraced houses.

Noticed a few bits of debris behind our old school “outset” gas fireplace earlier.

Should I be concerned that the debris is right up to the flue at the closure plate?

Put carbon monoxide detector above fireplace earlier but no beeps…

I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Over the years I’ve heard the odd bit of debris falling down to behind the fire…. But there is now a small “pile” of the stuff at the back/bottom of the gas fire. Few bits the size of a dice, give or take.

Don’t want to be a dick with new neighbour but don’t want to take chances with fumes etc.
    Any info appreciated.

markrh
    Free Member

Would be wise to get the fire serviced. When the fire is removed & the backing sheet is off you can always take a few photos of whats there to show them if the debris looks recent. Also check the continuity of all the remaining the chimneys with smoke bombs to make sure there are no gaps in your chimney after the work is done. This is as important for them as it is for you as your fire could end up sending products of combustion into their property if the walls of the chimney aren’t sound.

wwaswas

What markh said. Tell them you’d think the vibration of the work has caused some debris to fall inside your chimney and as you were due a flue service etc you’re getting it checked to be sure everyone’s safe.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockhopper
    Free Member

Was a Party Wall notice served?

slowster
    Free Member

I would be far less concerned about the debris than about the effect of the work on the structural strength and stability of your party wall. Chimneys often serve a structural function, and it’s not unknown for their removal by people who do not understand what they are doing to cause major structural damage. This is part of the reason for party wall notices: to give you (your expert) the opportunity to review the plans and make sure that the proposed work is structurally safe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Debris behind closure plate, behind gas fire. Neighbour knocking down chim stack’ is closed to new replies.