Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 191 total)
  • Debate round 2
  • thatscold
    Free Member

Why is STW so blindly left wing? Labour have been in for 13 year, and they've messed it up. Can you not see this?????

A hung parliament is no use. Unfortunately, like it or not, we need big cuts in the public sector.

anokdale
    Free Member

Peoples Republic of West Yorkshire,

Muddydwarf, check the Demographics your not wrong, at the Arab Union conference here in Libya two weeks ago the Leader, Gadaffi told everyone Islam did not need war to rule the World as Muslims are breeding faster thaneveryone else so "we will rule the World" 😯 he also said the coallition in Afghanistan was in the process of retreating

Anyway back on post hung Parliament anyone ?

westkipper
    Free Member

I wouldn't say STW is leftwing, thatscold, however even Captainflashheart, Stoner and the rest are probably more left wing than Nulabour has been…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anokdale
    Free Member

I agree with thatscold but really the other two dont install much confidence in me to do anything different, i am confused now to be honest, was hoping Dave would come out on the debates and really nail the election but he is not selling to me

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thatscold – I find STW frighteningly right wing in a rather nasty xenophobic little Englander way.

I genuinely find it scary how thatcherite the noisy ones seem to be. Its all me me me, hanging and flogging and sending the furriners home

Edit: – Labour have messed it up? They have made mistakes for sure and some real clangers but compared to the disaster of the last tory government and the stupidity of the current tory party??????

grahamh
    Free Member

But if Yorkshire gets independence, would the capital be Sheffield or L**ds? There could be civil war…

Would it not be York, the county town?

westkipper
    Free Member

I'll be honest, I kind of surprised that so many of you put so much store in the outcome of this kind of debate.
    In these sort of things all that gets clarified is who can put across their bull**it with the most conviction, not which of that bull**it is actually the best policy.

anokdale
    Free Member

York would be fine but it floods, like Sheffield 😉

thatscold
    Free Member

In modern history, every time we have had a Labour government there have been more people unemployed when they have left office than when they took office. Looks like history is repeating itself?
    We currently have the biggest budget deficit of all time, brought to us by Gordon Brown who "abolished boom and bust". I'd call that a failure wouldn't you?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Surely, historically, Yorkshire was simply the Southern tip of the mighty Northumbria?

anokdale
    Free Member

Northumbria is the buffer zone between us and the whinging Jockonese oatmeal munching savages, 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thatscold – Look to some history – biggest unemployment – under Tory governments. Biggest public spending – under tory governments – the tories disastrous economic decisions last time put twice as many people out of work as there are now out of work, fractured society in a way that still has not healed, the money that should have been available from north sea oil was wasted on paying benefits to the 5 million unemployed ( under current counting methods) Sold the family silver off and wasted it on benefits.

Starved the NHS of funds

If the tories get it you will see a real disaster. We will go back into a recession far longer and deeper that recent ( assuming they don't flip flop again on economic policy)

molgrips
    Free Member

Labour have been in for 13 year, and they've messed it up.

It's impossible to say if Labour have messed it up because you don't know what the Tories would have done given the same circumstances.

I think Labour did a reasonable job of rescuing the economy from the brink tbh. Yes they borrowed, but that's what we needed. That's what credit is for.

To be honest it's less about ideology than it is about competence these days. Thanks to Tony and to an extent Dave.

thatscold
    Free Member

A few Labour 'successes':

Introduced more stealth taxes than any other chancellor in history, equivalent to an extra 10p in the Pound on the basic rate of tax (source: Grant Thornton).
    Sold the UK’s gold reserves at the bottom of the market ignoring expert advice not to.
    Introduced ‘green taxes’ in the full and certain knowledge that any revenues gained were not destined to be invested in green initiatives. Yet another successful stealth tax to add to the collection.
    Successfully achieved the goal of becoming prime minister without going through the inconvenience of being elected by the people. This in spite of the fact that New Labour gained their substantial commons majority with 57% of the voters supporting another party. So much for the benefits of our First Past The Post electoral system.
    Was party to the sell out of the UK’s sovereignty to an unaccountable foreign ‘parliament’, in spite of a manifesto promise to allow the public to decide through a referendum.
    Destroyed the union and in the process, ensured that his countrymen received more money per head than those in England and Wales.
    Missed virtually every financial growth target announced in each successive budget without so much as a murmur from the press.
    Successfully managed to dupe the press into believing that he was an iron chancellor driven by prudence, when in fact he was a spendthrift.
    As the architect and driver of the revised PFI initiative originally proposed by the conservatives, saddled the country with a bill of £170bn which must be paid by 2032. Without having to include the figure as part of the public sector balance sheet.
    Managed to keep the £780bn public pensions deficit off the books, even though this is equivalent to over £30,000 per household and must be paid out of future tax receipts. Estimates of this deficit have now been increased to over £1trillion.
    Managed, without any consideration of the irony, to lecture people on their level of borrowings, whilst building up nearly £500bn of debt on the governments own ‘credit card’. If other recent liabilities are taken into account, this figure would rise substantially over £1trillion.
    Introduced and supported a complicated tax credit programme that has managed to lose £2bn every year through fraud and errors.
    Left the taxpayer saddled with £1.7bn of Metronet’s debt having been the person that pushed through the Private Public Partnership initiative for the London Underground.
    Managed to convince the public that local authorities were responsible for the doubling of council tax. Meanwhile he was actually placing responsibility for all additional services firmly with the local councils.
    Managed a real blinder, by camouflaging the inflation rate by changing the measurement from RPI to CPI.
    Underwritten £17bn of debt for Network Rail, without having to include it on the public balance sheet.
    Survived the embarrassment of claiming in March 2006 that 31,000 government employees had been trimmed off the payroll, whilst the Office for National Statistics claimed one month later, that the headcount had actually increased by 62,000 a difference of 93,000!
    Managed to introduce such a complex set of rules and regulations, designed to extract maximum tax take that the annual Finance Act (summary of tax changes in the budget) has increased from 300 pages or so in the 1980’s to over 10,000.
    At a time when businesses are struggling and people are having to tighten their belts, presided over a government that boasts some 78 acres of empty space in office buildings and grace and favour homes.
    Managed to push another 3.5m people into the higher income tax bracket, using a favoured trick of ‘fiscal drag’, where the tax threshold is raised more slowly than earnings are rising, so that workers end up paying a higher proportion of their income in tax.
    Twice shifted the timing of the ‘economic cycle’ in order that the so called “golden rule” would not be missed, resulting in a brazen massaging of the figures.
    Ensured that there are now twice as many tax collectors as there are nurses, demonstrating firmly where the government’s priorities lie.
    Masterfully convinced people that they are “better off under Labour” even though each family now pays more than £5,000 in extra tax, compared to 1997.

I bet you can't be arsed to read all that!

Just accept that Labour has failed.

anokdale
    Free Member

Juries still out on have they done the right thing to get us out of the economic downfall, but they did take us into it, still miffed Gordon sold the Gold off, what would that be worth now, ?

Jamie
    Free Member

I bet you can't be arsed to read all that!

In the same way i bet you couldn't be arsed to write it.

anokdale
    Free Member

Thatscold, thanks i could be arsed to read it, that about sums them up really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thatscold – so much of that is simply wrong or just cant. I'll dismember one.

Destroyed the union and in the process, ensured that his countrymen received more money per head than those in England and Wales.

This labour government have not altered the financial arrangements for Scotland at all. Its known as the Barnett formula and actually ensures that each year Scotland gets a smaller % of the UK public spending.

The Barnett formula has been in place for decades.

Most of the rest of your rant is based upon similar ignorance and blind swallowing of propaganda

molgrips
    Free Member

Thatscold – see my post above yours.

Plus, you've got some right devious misleading language in there. Like the last one – £5000 more tax than in 1997 – fine, but what's that as a percentage of earnings? I bet average earnings have gone up since 1997.

Some of what you 'wrote' is quite frankly pathetic. It's nothing but unsubstantiated propaganda dressed up as 'facts'. Get that from the Telegraph? In fact, no – no newspaper would print that kind of trash.

footflaps

"Most of the rest of your rant is based upon similar ignorance and blind swallowing of propaganda" ah yes – the main stay of the conservatives election strategy.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Why is STW so blindly left wing?

😯

Is this another STW I don't know about?

Jeeze, if this place is 'left-wing', Nick Griffin's a Lib Dem… 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There really is a load of shite that you've copied and pasted there thatscold. I can't be bothered to comment on all of it – there's simply too much shite, but can you explain the hysterical claim that the Union has been "destroyed" ? Have you stopped referring to the United Kingdom then ?

And why do you talk about Labour 'successes' and then give the example of : "successfully achieved the goal of becoming prime minister" ……….how can a party become "prime minister" ? 😕

I also liked the comment : "So much for the benefits of our First Past The Post electoral system."……..so you won't be voting for the Tories then – as they are totally committed to First Past The Post, The best chance for electoral reform is if Gordon Brown stays in number 10……not David Cameron. So I take it you'll be voting Labour ?

westkipper
    Free Member

Anyway,
    I dont think many people, anywhere, are 'blindly' left wing.
    Being left wing is a natural side-effect of having your eyes wide open.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Just accept that Labour has failed.

Crime down, more in Higher Education, less people in real poverty, hospital waiting lists down, overall improvement in many areas of health care, overall improvement in real standard of living for the vast majority of British people.

That's the reality. I'm not saying New Labour (spit) are completely to thank for all this, but they were in power when these things happened. Not everything's worked, but I reckon Britain's a better place to live in than it was under the Tories.

Britain will go backwards once more if the Tories get in. It's a simple fact. Remember the 'what have the tories/labour ever done for us' thread a while ago? Labour came out looking a bit better than Tory….

Tories stand for greed and selfishness. 'I'm all right Jack **** you'. Always have done, always will.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It's on Council telly now. let's have a look….

(I'm just gonna want to punch Dave right?)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I shudder to think of any of the three halfwits involved in the debate being in power, however a hung parliament sounds even worse as that'll mean two of them sharing power (and we've already had the horror show that was a Lib/Lab alliance up here in recent memory). I hate the Tories, despise NuLab and the LibDems disgust me. Normally that'd mean a vote for the SNP however they've put up a terrible candidate in my constituency so I think I might well just draw a picture of a cock on the voting paper instead (although giving my sitting MP is Alistair Darling they might interpret that as a vote for him).

Talkemada
    Free Member

Being left wing is a natural side-effect of having your eyes wide open.

True dat, innit! 😯

Council telly

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL ! I've just read this ! 😀

thatscold – Member

In modern history, every time we have had a Labour government there have been more people unemployed when they have left office than when they took office. Looks like history is repeating itself?

Of course the Tories have an excellent record on unemployment ! Unemployment was 1.5 million when the Tories came to office in 1979, by the time they left office in 1997, it was 2 million. During that time they managed to push it up to over 3 million ! And never once did it fall to the 1.5 million it had been when they first came to power.

New Labour in the other hand have only just become responsible for unemployment reaching the figure it was when they first came to office. Most of the time it has been far lower than it was during the 18 years of Tory rule.

Unemployment lower than in 1997

UK unemployment has risen above two million for the first time since 1997

You're a divvy thatscold.

kimbers

the gold sell off cos the country about 8bn
    at todays price

which is about 1% of our national debt

tho one guy i spoke to was convinced that it would have been enough to get us out of our debt crisis if sold now- the power of the tory press!

Kevevs
    Free Member

that bit on Russell Howards Good News where they were "Doodling" (taking notes) and Clegg drew himself with a massive cock flopping down a flight of stairs made me laugh!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ernie – you forgot the The tories massaged the figures – losing about 1/3 IIRC off the count – so actually by the way the numbers were counted when they came to power it was 1.5 million when they got in. peaking at around 5 million and around 3 million at the end. Labour changed the way the figures were counted to a more accurate figure that is shows a higher headline figure. Unemplyment now is around half of the peak under the tories

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the gold sell off cost the country about 8bn

It didn't cost the country anything. In fact the UK got paid for the gold.

To argue that it "cost" because the price of gold has gone up, is like arguing that each house that Barretts builds costs them £50k, because the houses are valued at that much more after five years.

The Tories wouldn't have sold the gold. Therefore we wouldn't have more money now.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Aren't the current unemployment figures difficult to compare to previous ones given that the number of people claiming disability is now higher than those claiming unemployment in the UK?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Avatar's already out on Blu-Ray and DVD? Blimey; seems like it was only on at the cinema last week!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the number of people claiming disability is now higher than those claiming unemployment in the UK?

Why is that a problem ? There were people claiming disability under previous governments. In fact nearly 3 million were claiming incapacity benefit when the Tories were last in power. Obviously as unemployment falls then the ratio changes. I can't see how it's relevant, any more than how many pensioners or housewives there are is.

Kevevs
    Free Member

What's that James Brown tune? "talking loud, and saying nothing".

KennySenior
    Free Member

When is Gordon Brown going to finish that toffee?

porterclough
    Free Member

The Tories wouldn't have sold the gold. Therefore we wouldn't have more money now.

But we would have more gold.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The dilemma I have is that the person I would prefer to be my local MP, for getting things done around here, is in a different party to the person who I would prefer to lead the country. Although it's probably fairly academic anyhow since our MP had about 60% of the vote last time around, so it's not exactly marginal.

Kevevs
    Free Member

ooh. they're all trying to say the stuff that people want to hear. I wonder why that is? It's a bit patronising. Saying they will do this or change that, cos as soon as they are in power, they don't give a ****! If they are gonna say they are gonna do stuff BACK IT UP!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Debate round 2’ is closed to new replies.